Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

• Sponsors (?)

Hey @hoopty5.0 which ECU do you have? I am upgrading my diypnp to semisequential injection (from 2 drivers batch fire to 4 drivers) and adding a jbperformance tiny i/o to add tons of extra i/o including sensor inputs and pwm... all for around 110$ total.
DIYPNP for me. That sounds like a cool add-on that I'd be open to in the future. Right now, I've got a lot to chew just getting it running again.

I apologize, but I've been bad about keeping up lately. Can you do tuning with the dash? I love the idea of it, but I'd still need an interface to tune with.

Yes, it runs a full version of TunerStudio, so you would be able to use it as a dash, datalog, and tuning. Thats one of a few reasons to move to this

Reactions: 1 user
BE0020BC-ADC2-4E80-A1F8-6C27F39C8AB1.jpeg

Part #1 is done. I am tickled shiitless with the color

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
So the problem here... While I like the color that I ended up with, it's not correct. See below:

IMG_0590.JPG

The timing pointer is "correct" and the spacer is what I'm getting. I'm not upset, I almost like the green better, but it's still making me scratch my head. I searched the interwebz as much as I could, didn't find anything. I sent an email to the powder manufacturer to see what they say.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Did you bake on one or two coats? Looks like a second coat would enhance the color more if you didn't do a second coat.

I would do a test before doing it to your parts.

I only did 1 coat. I did a test run on this can - the bottom half has a chrome base coat to match the aluminum. Might try another coat of teal tonight and see what happens, depending on what the supplier tells me I did wrong.

(it looks blue in the pic, but it matches the green on the other parts.)

IMG_0588.JPG

I don't know much about powder coating but I'd assume what color the part is before the coating will adversely effect what the final color looks like. Should these parts get a coat of primer before getting PC'd? Or does the material need to be bare? Even the wheels on the website look like two different colors to me. Looks confusing to me.

Alright I did some reading on that site (should've done that before posting what I said above).

It says.....
Top Coat Information: Top coat powder coating colors and clear metallics are transparent. The color of the substrate (surface) under a top coat will affect the finished appearance. To simulate the color displayed, use USS 4482 Super Chrome as a base coat, which is the brightest chrome powder coating available. Depending on the brightness of your metal substrate, you may be able to apply directly to the metal without using USS 4482 Super Chrome as a base coat. As always, shoot a test piece first to determine if your desired results will be achieved.

Seems to me if you want it the bright teal green color (that you're already getting) you should use the chrome base coat. To get it darker (blue looking) you probably want the base color (substrate) to not be chrome. I'll also add that your timing pointer looks to be blue, Hawaiian Teal is going to be green'ish blue. Not the same color if you're looking for a match IMO.

Alright I did some reading on that site (should've done that before posting what I said above).

It says.....
Top Coat Information: Top coat powder coating colors and clear metallics are transparent. The color of the substrate (surface) under a top coat will affect the finished appearance. To simulate the color displayed, use USS 4482 Super Chrome as a base coat, which is the brightest chrome powder coating available. Depending on the brightness of your metal substrate, you may be able to apply directly to the metal without using USS 4482 Super Chrome as a base coat. As always, shoot a test piece first to determine if your desired results will be achieved.

Seems to me if you want it the bright teal green color (that you're already getting) you should use the chrome base coat. To get it darker (blue looking) you probably want the base color (substrate) to not be chrome. I'll also add that your timing pointer looks to be blue, Hawaiian Teal is going to be green'ish blue. Not the same color if you're looking for a match IMO.
Yeah, so the soda can posted above has the bottom half done in super chrome - that's the color differential that you see there.