Build Thread The Hoopty V2.0 - Final Details

HotFox

5 Year Member
Jan 5, 2009
SE Michigan
Hey man get well soon! You sure you have Lyme and the flu? That has to be brutal!
That seal is a piece of cake with the crank out of the way:scratch::rlaugh:

• Sponsors (?)

hoopty5.0

mechanicus terribilis
Mod Dude
Dec 14, 2010
SW Houston
Hey man get well soon! You sure you have Lyme and the flu? That has to be brutal!
That seal is a piece of cake with the crank out of the way:scratch::rlaugh:
Lyme came back negative luckily. It was just a nasty assed virus

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
polk county florida
Ass virus, oooooook!
I 've never seen that happen but I'm still young :rolleyes:
Try this, after the balancer is in all the way pull it back out a half inch or so then rotate the engine and then seat the balancer

hoopty5.0

mechanicus terribilis
Mod Dude
Dec 14, 2010
SW Houston
Back up and running on 8 cylinders again. Got the coils and front seal replaced. It took me about 15 tries to get the damper on with the seal not folded in on itself. What a shyt show.

Mileage may have to wait, im going to NOLA to party for the weekend. Im going to hurt my liver.

RangerJoe

I leave the horn on while driving
5 Year Member
Apr 26, 2010
Georgia
How is the tuning going? Will we see a dyno day soon?

Joe

hoopty5.0

mechanicus terribilis
Mod Dude
Dec 14, 2010
SW Houston
I had a minor freak out this morning. I'm off work today, I got my coffee, cracked open the laptop at the kitchen table, and looked at my datalog from yesterday.

RPM? 3600 and change... OK
AFR? Safe.
Timing? Seems reasonable.
kPa? 112.... Man, it's been so long, I forgot what that translates to in psi... *opens Google*

112kPA = 16.8 PSI
Y'all, I about spit my fkn coffee everywhere. How in the HELL was I making 16 psi at only 3600 rpm at half throttle?????
And then it hit me.... this is absolute pressure. Completely forgot that atmospheric pressure is 101 kPa.

Alright, I'm awake now.

stanglx2002

10 Year Member
Jul 7, 2005
I had a minor freak out this morning. I'm off work today, I got my coffee, cracked open the laptop at the kitchen table, and looked at my datalog from yesterday.

RPM? 3600 and change... OK
AFR? Safe.
Timing? Seems reasonable.
kPa? 112.... Man, it's been so long, I forgot what that translates to in psi... *opens Google*

112kPA = 16.8 PSI
Y'all, I about spit my fkn coffee everywhere. How in the HELL was I making 16 psi at only 3600 rpm at half throttle?????
And then it hit me.... this is absolute pressure. Completely forgot that atmospheric pressure is 101 kPa.

Alright, I'm awake now.
:nono::nono::nono::nono:

Your math is wrong sir... everything 7 kPa is equal to 1 psi of boost, which is what you Googled...BUT

You started with the wrong number, since atmosphere is 100kPa. You need to subtract the 100kPa then divide it by 7 so.....

112 kPa - 100 kPa = 12 kPa
12 kPa / 7 (conversion of kPa to boost) = 1.7 psi of boost

Now back to our regular scheduled program...Get this on the road:stick:

hoopty5.0

mechanicus terribilis
Mod Dude
Dec 14, 2010
SW Houston
:nono::nono::nono::nono:

Your math is wrong sir... everything 7 kPa is equal to 1 psi of boost, which is what you Googled...BUT

You started with the wrong number, since atmosphere is 100kPa. You need to subtract the 100kPa then divide it by 7 so.....

112 kPa - 100 kPa = 12 kPa
12 kPa / 7 (conversion of kPa to boost) = 1.7 psi of boost

Now back to our regular scheduled program...Get this on the road:stick:
Yeah, thanks!
I knew it didn’t make sense. I have a teeny tiny spring in the WG that hardly takes any effort at all to compress. It was early and i hadn’t had my coffee yet

CarMichael Angelo

I don't like your attitude, let me fix that.
SN Certified Technician
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
Man....What a difference a spun rod bearing will make in Collins approach to test and tuning.

Before:
Blowing off charge tubes, YouTube vids in tunnels while hammering down at 20+ psi,...followed immediately by " I gotta knock" confessions here....
To......

Today I made 1.7 psi! ....Woot!

hoopty5.0

mechanicus terribilis
Mod Dude
Dec 14, 2010
SW Houston
I removed my damper AGAIN last night and pumped a bunch of black RTV into the gap between the timing cover and oil pan where the oil was coming from.
Steve sent me an updated tune, so I'll load it in this evening and go motor around some - hopefully leak free this time - and see where it gets us.

I don't have any vacuum hoses hooked up to the WG right now, so it's probably wide open at idle because of the wussy little bic pen spring that's in there now.

CarMichael Angelo

I don't like your attitude, let me fix that.
SN Certified Technician
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
I removed my damper AGAIN last night and pumped a bunch of black RTV into the gap between the timing cover and oil pan where the oil was coming from.
Steve sent me an updated tune, so I'll load it in this evening and go motor around some - hopefully leak free this time - and see where it gets us.

I don't have any vacuum hoses hooked up to the WG right now, so it's probably wide open at idle because of the wussy little bic pen spring that's in there now.
They're not " vacuum" hoses. The hoses show boost pressure to the gate.