Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

I guess I've done well to find a machine shop to take on my odd projects so readily(and not just look at me crazily). ball joint cups? Sure! brake caliper adapters? Here's how we can do it cheaper! If you ever feel like driving up to Bryan check out Vilas Motor works.
Oh sht, you're local??? I drive through Bryan all the time headed to/from Dallas. I'll definitely keep them in mind.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Alright, I went to the machine shop. "Why don't you just grind the opening more so it's loose in the middle, bolt it finger tight, tap it with a hammer to get the run out good, then weld it on?"

If it was a poisonous snake hanging in front of me, I'd have been dead months ago.

Thanks, mr. machinist. Also, you could tell he really didnt wanna fuk with it, LOL.
i miss being able to do side-job stuff like this, the last couple shops if you had a g-job you could mess with it after hours as long as a machine was open. the new place, not so much. but at least the pay is better and its not a sausage fest.

@RangerJoe no, just going to run really low boost until I can make it reliable. Then... ???

I really don’t have any goals for this car anymore other than run and drive because I hardly have any free time anymore. I need it to drive me to work occasionally and to get coffee on the weekends.

Man, who have I become? I need a corvette instead!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
It’s not ideal by any stretch, but it’ll work well enough to get it running. Run out is minimal, I have a pretty solid .035” clearance all the way around.
F3B2174D-F502-4BB6-AB80-6A6E71D8BBCD.jpeg

• Useful
We will see. I can reinforce it. Just wanna make sure it works before I do any more work to it
But,....won't it be buried behind a radiator with a fan shroud, and under belts and accessories?:shrug:

If you can do the diving board "twang" with that mount, you can bet it'll vibrate. I'd fix it before I had to take a bunch of stuff back off after that mount fails the "we'll see" test.

But that's just me...I like to do sht over, and over,...and over.

• Haha
But,....won't it be buried behind a radiator with a fan shroud, and under belts and accessories?:shrug:

If you can do the diving board "twang" with that mount, you can bet it'll vibrate. I'd fix it before I had to take a bunch of stuff back off after that mount fails the "we'll see" test.

But that's just me...I like to do sht over, and over,...and over.
Yeah, it'll be pretty well hidden. This is just a temporary "will it work". I've gotta see if it'll run first before I go any further. If this doesn't work, I'm scrapping everything and going back to TFI. I effectively have 1 hour each night to go fck around in the garage, assuming I don't go put some trail miles in on the bike. So at this rate, troubleshooting is not an option as I'll never get anywhere.

That being said, I did the twang test, and was rewarded with a faint twnn instead of a TEWAAAANNNGGG so I think it's good enough to idle around the 'hood should it get to that point. I will engineer (hahaha) something better eventually.

I'm going to twist some wires together tonight and hope it'll light off. Otherwise, I'm going back to the 90s ignition, bitter with defeat. I'm still very, very bitter that I wasted all that time before my daughter came waiting on the powder coater to do nothing.

64 bit tuning concepts has an ultra badass trigger mount for the ultra badass price of $175.00. I think I can make a similar, poorly engineered version from scrap in the garage.

Didn't make a whole hell of a lot of headway last night, but at this point, any forward movement is good. The crank trigger likes 12v way more than it like 5v, and the logs show that.

That's about all I have to show for about an hour and a half worth of work.

Tonight, I'm going to re-verify firing order and hook up the timing light to see where #1 is firing, because it isn't where it should be.
instead of 13726548, its 1-6, 3-5, 7-4, 2-8 occuring in 4 separate events as the engine makes a revolution.

Very true. But at a certain point, I think it's on the sellers shoulders to test the market and see what people are willing to pay before introducing a new product.

You can build it for nothing if you have a welder, ( which you do) and some scrap ( which you should).

Paying for something made by a shop is a can be easily hashed out in my head....... Especially for something that will never be seen. I wouldn't wince, I wouldn't even grumble to myself. I'd copy the sht out of anything that some guy is charging that kind of money for.
The single most stupid expensive bling piece on the Monster is that valve cover. I paid 400.00 for it. it replaced the home made valve cover that was there when I first started it. A valve cover, and a crank trigger bracket are two seperate things though.

Didn't make a whole hell of a lot of headway last night, but at this point, any forward movement is good. The crank trigger likes 12v way more than it like 5v, and the logs show that.

That's about all I have to show for about an hour and a half worth of work.

Tonight, I'm going to re-verify firing order and hook up the timing light to see where #1 is firing, because it isn't where it should be.
instead of 13726548, its 1-6, 3-5, 7-4, 2-8 occuring in 4 separate events as the engine makes a revolution.

Looks like an EDIS multi spark event to me ( that's why they call it wasted spark.) 1is firing, along with 6 followed by 3, followed by 7, followed by 2 on the first count, then the second bank gets the same on the second go round.