Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

@a91what i literally had 3 minutes to get in the garage tonight. Enough time to load the tune, twist the key a few times, and tell you nothing changed as far as what it does when you try and start it.
Tomorrow, I will try to hook up the O2 and get some decent logs.

• Sponsors (?)

Been right where you’re at multiple times. The worst time being my MS3.

You say it runs for a couple seconds and dies but are confident it isn’t ignition related now.
Does cracking the throttle result in anything?

Also, have we verified everything on the fuel supply side?
Pump runs more than just priming before start, consistent fuel pressure that doesn’t fall off, injector voltage good?

I’ve had a whole host of mechanical issues hold me out as well as a fuel map and IAC settings that made engine run just long enough to get your hopes up

When your ready hit me up, I will play wingman.
Been right where you’re at multiple times. The worst time being my MS3.

You say it runs for a couple seconds and dies but are confident it isn’t ignition related now.
Does cracking the throttle result in anything?

Also, have we verified everything on the fuel supply side?
Pump runs more than just priming before start, consistent fuel pressure that doesn’t fall off, injector voltage good?

I’ve had a whole host of mechanical issues hold me out as well as a fuel map and IAC settings that made engine run just long enough to get your hopes up

Half asleep in the shower this morning, I was running back through everything in my head.

What has changed since it ran last?
- The ignition system - but that's been tested to exhaustion and we know it all works.

- The cam/ lifters - Here's my newest theory. When I did the head swap on my truck, I had some trouble wrapping my head around the fact that I couldn't compress the plungers on the lifters to set the preload... Because they were full of oil. My guess is that I should have made sure that the lifters on the car were full of oil first as well. The plungers were all compressed slightly, so maybe some intake and exhaust valves are cracked open just slightly after the oil was primed and lifters pumped, preventing the car from running right. You know, just like @95BlueStallion fought for months a few long days.....

- The final thought that Tanner brought up, as well as a buddy on the drive home yesterday is that something is funky with the fuel system. After all, the car sat for a really long time, mostly outside. Maybe the regulator isn't working right. Yeah, the pump primes, but is it holding pressure? I have verified that the pressure is set at 42 psi, but Is pressure bleeding off after I try starting it? I don't know yet. I can run the fuel pump via test mode and verify all of that tonight as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I have nothing other than to concur with Steve. Iowa Nick's car was a " no start" for .............days? When he last attempted to start it after swapping engines.
For him it was over tight valve adjustment.
ok, I adjusted my statement. I'm also going to readjust the valves and check on the fuel system, just for good measure.

Reactions: 1 user
Alrighty, Picking up where I left off last week,

1) The rocker arms are fine, I can spin the pushrods somewhat when the valves are closed.
2) I disassembled the regulator last night, it's fine.
3) I pulled the fuel feed line last night and ran the pump for several seconds. The fuel line might as well be a garden hose at full blast. Absolutely no shortage of fuel, so the filter doesn't seem to be clogged.

I have a few more ideas to test in order from least to most likely, in my opinion:
1) the injectors need to be cleaned and flow tested.
2) the wiring for the fuel pump isn't big enough to support the required voltage/current.
3) there is still an ignition issue that isn't showing up on the logs.

Last edited:
I have sinned.
DE803E1E-D83E-4320-B21C-591346064BC2.jpeg

• Useful
  • Surprised
Reactions: 2 users
But does it run? If it does mail me those coils.
No, couldn’t get any trigger input. Then I realized I forgot to change all the jumpers back, but it was late and I was hungry so I quit for the night.
I want to verify that the issue is in the ignition system. If I put it back the way it was and it runs, I’ll know that the issue is still in the sync loss realm.
Then, I’m going to build a serious trigger mount, buy some shielded wire, and go overboard with it.

Reactions: 1 users
F it bro! If the distributor fixes the problem then just leave the dang thing in there and get to tuning and enjoying the car!! If you don't then you're just a Masochist, lol. Good luck either way Colin.