The Journey To Find A Fox. Found A Cobra Instead.

So what does everyone do about listening to mp3/iPhones in their cars? I know from having Vintage Mustangs you can send out your original radio and get it converted to have a hookup for an iPhone. Is anyone doing this for say a stock cassette or CD player for Fox bodies?

There was a guy on Ebay who sold OEm radios that had a line-in jack installed. There is a way to wire it in if you are electronics savvy. I was debating doing this to my OEM CD player and installing the jack on the backside and routing a 6' long extension cable under the console to an area by the armrest.

I rarely listen to the radio when I drive, but if I do I used a Bluetooth adapter I've had good luck with. It links to your phone, plugs into the cig lighter and transmits on a frequency you select. You just tune to the station and now you are listening to whatever the phone broadcast.

Quality was okay. OEM fox mustangs are not exactly audiophile setups. As much as I want to put a nice double din touch screen head unit into my fox with 4 decent speakers, I like the OEM look too much.

I prefer CD quality music, but the fox CD player isn't stellar either. Skips over decent bumps, as it predates all that anti-skip BS

• Sponsors (?)

I may try that Ion Bluetooth adapter once I get a Fox, it’s cheap. If I don’t like it then I will look for the guy on eBay, no luck yet finding him/her. As far as sound quality goes, I am not an audiophile. But the sound quality has got to beat the single dash speaker with AM only in my ‘66, man that thing was terrible sounding but I didn’t want to give up the stock look with speakers in the door and rear package tray. Like you, Mustang5L5, I like the oem look and prefer nos parts, I spent a lot of time looking for those nos parts for my ‘66. I find it fun to find those parts, especially at swap meets. I wonder when Fox parts will start showing up at car swap meets..

Reactions: 1 user
She’s home. 60 mile trip home went well.

Attachments

• 8A4E542E-1542-41F8-8EB3-94A1BE87B691.jpeg
    8A4E542E-1542-41F8-8EB3-94A1BE87B691.jpeg
    575.5 KB · Views: 146
Reactions: 4 users
4D20FDD4-1462-4EAB-948A-499C831EB83E.jpeg
F2E22EF4-A287-46D9-9DC4-22BCF82652E3.jpeg
Now I just need good weather to drive it in.. getting onto the freeway was interesting and fun.

Sounds funny but this is the first Fox I’ve owned, first Fox I’ve driven, first manual I’ve owned. Lots of firsts with this car. I’ll take more photos once it’s actually sunny cause vibrant red really pops in the sun. Also, the paint is original as well as the interior.

I’ve never been a fan of msd anything, so those wires and the cap are going. Want to return in to stock so I will be searching for a cobra intake once the bank account recovers. Also will be getting the wheels repainted, I don’t mind the wheels, I just like the stock color better. But it runs really well!

Attachments

• DB8A9D81-BDD0-401D-AE27-B4B191AB1988.jpeg
    DB8A9D81-BDD0-401D-AE27-B4B191AB1988.jpeg
    434.8 KB · Views: 140
Reactions: 4 users
Noooooo....step away from the intake....step away....close the hood..do it, close the hood....ok, we are good now. Whew, that was close.

Nothing cooler than a tubular GT40 intake.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree. I like the stock look better.

Between the cobra and GT40 tubular, is there much difference in performance? If I do get a Cobra intake, I need to find a stock TB also.

No difference in performance. Just a few pounds heavier.

Finding an original 1993 Cobra TB might be harder. What's on the car now? Not the original 65mm TB? There are a few Ford Motorsport 65mm TBs kicking around, and you can always convert an early explorer TB. But finding an actual F3 throttle body will be tough. F3 Cobra upper intakes are plentiful since Ford sold then in kits up til 2003 or so.

What production number is your Cobra? The First 500 got a unique "no step" casting that doesn't have the features that appeared on later Cobras and all kits.

If I wasn't so attached to my cobra intake... :(

That gt40 is hidious ....

That thing shouldn't be anywhere near that Cobra. It would look way better in a piece of junk like mine . If you need a place to throw it I'll give you my address.

One mans junk is another mans treasure

Reactions: 2 users
Last edited:
No difference in performance. Just a few pounds heavier.

Finding an original 1993 Cobra TB might be harder. What's on the car now? Not the original 65mm TB? There are a few Ford Motorsport 65mm TBs kicking around, and you can always convert an early explorer TB. But finding an actual F3 throttle body will be tough. F3 Cobra upper intakes are plentiful since Ford sold then in kits up til 2003 or so.

What production number is your Cobra? The First 500 got a unique "no step" casting that doesn't have the features that appeared on later Cobras and all kits.

If I wasn't so attached to my cobra intake... :(

It’s #3382
Not sure of the throttle body, no branding on the outside. It sure runs strong though.

CBF7F142-0455-48C0-A7F6-6A83F9D9E82E.jpeg 8DF6D794-A02F-4739-92D7-D15CA4965A9F.jpeg