The last time I ask for opinions, sorry but I need to:

Status
Not open for further replies.
From an old fart...........

Stuff happens when going through life. Starting a family is the best thing that ever happened to me. Cars come and go, but having a family is number one to me. I literally put my car hobby on hold for a long time when I put family first. If you can start a family and keep up the car hobby, that would be awesome, but if not, I would concentrate on the family first. Kids are the greatest! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Pak, did your body guy tell you what he was going to charge to put it right? Did he feel that he could get the car back to as good as it was before?

I really think you need to base your decision on the advice of those who know best. If your body guy says that the car is never going to be the same, then cut your losses, and take the 15K.

However if he tells you that some time on the frame machine, some new body panels and paint, will put it back as it was, (within an allowable price of course) then get her fixed.

You should really start and end right there. We could all help locate doors, quarter panels, ect ect for you, and find you the best deals.

Then again if the car is going to cost more to fix, and not ever be the same, then we can all search long and hard for a replacement.

You have eyes and ears all over the country, and I for one think you deserve extra attention from us.

So please just go about this from a rational standpoint. Talk to your guy, get an honest answer from him, and then let us know.

Gram

Pak,

The one thing I've come to realize is that these cars are NEVER finished. There's always something else we want to do to them no matter how many ooh's and ahh's they may get. My point, even if you were to keep the car and do to it what you wanted, you probably would never feel as though it's finished. And, it's going to take you quite sometime to get it back to a level of acceptability. So, I say take the money, and paossibly part the current car, e bay has brought me cash on things I was going to toss, and get a new car, a fresh start if you will. 15K will get you a nice car, and like I already mentioned these things are a working progress so you can continue on your quest. At least you'll be behind the wheel sooner.

Well Pak, I dont think anyone on here minds you posting up about this.

Personally, id take the $12,000 and the car. Then you have a few options. get it fixed, or maybe even part it out to make up a little of the difference.

However, for the pain and suffering, your neck and back injuries...get the most aggressive lawyer that you can. Just make sure doctor visits and what-not are documented. you could EASILY get $20,000+ for this...even if you settle out of court. You just need the correct lawyer.

To put into perspective: 10 years ago my mom was driving a mini-van. She was at a stoplight and decided she was in the wrong lane. She put her signal light on and went from a stop...5ft...and hit a huge cargo-like van. it put a small dent in both vehicles. The lady driving, we never heard from again...our insurance company covered the accident. 6 months later my mom gets served with a court order. She was being sued for $50,000. For: pain and suffering, doctor bills, and loss of time at work. Come to find out the woman said she hurt her foot in the accident...how? - no one knows. She didnt go to work for 6 months and went to the doctor. Our insurance company was actually ready to settle on the full amount until they did some investigating....the lady never told her lawyer or her doctors that she was not going to work. She never even told her lawyer that she was going to the doctor as often as she was. This made a big difference. However, our insurance company settled out of court for $10,000! I still dont think its right...it wasnt even her van, nor was it anywhere near being totaled.

I think you have every right in your case though. You actually have injuries, you are out the total of your car, etc. It wont take years to settle...as I said before...you just need the right lawyer.

Hope this helps. If it doesnt, I hope it at least gives you some inspiration or some light at the end of the tunnel.

Phew,

Shane

No you've all given me lots of good points to think about that I've overlooked in my clouded vision. I had in fact asked myself what SD would do (times like this I wish he were here still) and like myself, I think part of his pride of ownership was his cars originality, so in that respect and his views about what to buy, I believe he would walk away from it. As I said, at this jucture today I have nothing to lose by taking the check and car as I can break even on the car at anytime in a number of ways. I prefer that than it go to some faceless auction house somwhere and get stripped or sold to god knows who. If anyone is going to pull the plug it should at least be me. I honestly wish I could decide on this but I am so torn, I've tried listing the pro's and cons of each but I keep coming out at a stale mate.

It's hard to explain, but I looked at over 40 cars for a period of 2 years and despite my excitment to own, not one of them tempted me. They all had obvious flaws or just didn't shout to me like that puppy in the window. When I first found this car online something spoke to me though, when I flew out to see it I was still skeptical but I laid eyes on it and felt like a giddy school girl, I knew it was the car I wanted. It didn't even have the trans and engine I wanted (even though that was a holy grail anyway) but I was never so certain of anything in my life, I felt the connection like cupid himself hit me. That's why it's killing me to make this choice. I know it's an inanimate object but I feel I owe it something. I can't say I will feel the same or not about it being a frankenstein now until I am at the point of turning the key and driving again but I do know that any of the cars I have looked for over the last week have done nothing to excite me at all. The ones that are done up are going to cost me more than I have and I don't care for the colors or combos in particular and anything less will require additional funding to repaint and fix hidden things anyway. Plus who knows what kind of hidden rust there could be, at least I know mine is soild in most of the trouble areas, like floors, cowls and what not. It is the perfect opportunity to look at this as not feeling guilty about going a little restomod I guess. I guess if I wasn't in physical pain right now I could get myself more easily siked and focused on the opportunity present as opposed to the loss suffered.

Tell me, in this current world of Mustangs where cars like fast forward are literally junk yard dogs that get made from two cars into one and the occasional cheap azz basket case gets double it's value put into bringing it back to life, is repairing a heavily damaged car really any worse than one that is more straight but rusted soild? Hell so many cars don't have a single matching tag or engine code despite how beautiful they are. I've seen folks here working on cars that I sure as hell wouldn't ever think to touch so is repairing damage over rust any worse or less desirable in this hobby these days?

BTW, anyone who can get a line on a soild used or NOS vert RH quarter please let me know. That seems to be the one item I can't track down right now. I found 2 NOS coupe ones but they need some modifying to work and are about 1k each. My only other option would be to try and smooth out the top and do a whole lower skin or use the one off the parts car and patch the lower half that is rusted.

It's hard to explain, but I looked at over 40 cars for a period of 2 years and despite my excitment to own, not one of them tempted me. They all had obvious flaws or just didn't shout to me like that puppy in the window. When I first found this car online something spoke to me though, when I flew out to see it I was still skeptical but I laid eyes on it and felt like a giddy school girl, I knew it was the car I wanted. It didn't even have the trans and engine I wanted (even though that was a holy grail anyway) but I was never so certain of anything in my life, I felt the connection like cupid himself hit me. That's why it's killing me to make this choice. I know it's an inanimate object but I feel I owe it something. I can't say I will feel the same or not about it being a frankenstein now until I am at the point of turning the key and driving again but I do know that any of the cars I have looked for over the last week have done nothing to excite me at all. The ones that are done up are going to cost me more than I have and I don't care for the colors or combos in particular and anything less will require additional funding to repaint and fix hidden things anyway. Plus who knows what kind of hidden rust there could be, at least I know mine is soild in most of the trouble areas, like floors, cowls and what not. It is the perfect opportunity to look at this as not feeling guilty about going a little restomod I guess. I guess if I wasn't in physical pain right now I could get myself more easily siked and focused on the opportunity present as opposed to the loss suffered

that's exactly what i'm talking about. if you let this car go you will regret it for longer than you would like to think right now. i know your current physical state is making things that much more confusing, so i suggest taking the 12 grand, buying the car back for 3 grand and let your body man do the surgery on the car and you can get whatever medical attention you need and get some rehab in, and maybe by the time you are feeling better your car will be to, then you can start getting down to the nuts and bolts of modding it

allcarfan said:
Compassion...look it up. No need to be an ass. If you dont want to read the post, dont click on it.

WTF man? He say he loves it, then bla bla. We give him every option known to mankind, then there is more of the same. I'm all for letting a man cry in his beer. It's got nothing to do with compassion.

Spoken like a mighty and strong "above everyone" American, he's still on a high from Bush winning so he can't help kicking the little guy when he's down, don't take it personal anyone, I'm not. I learned a long time ago that OZ has to be a prick each day or he can't live with himself.

Don't worry OZ, I prefaced by saying this was the last time I was going to burden anyone with opinions on your forum and I meant it so you can move along now and go pick on whoever happens to not think like you today, I'm done.

BTW though, didn't you say some time ago that you were not going to post anymore and only reply by IM. What happened to that? Did you miss the stage that much or did did all those victories in your own mind seem hollow without an audience? At least I'm talking about something Mustang, but this place gets less and less about that each day so I'll let you get back to what's important.

Everyone else thanks for the interest wether it's legititmate or fained, I appreciate your tolerance of my annoying plight. Oz is finally right though, it's time to move on so I'll do that and figure the rest out for myself. If I have further questions I'll use the IM to contact those that have been helpful and maybe I'll be back this spring with either resto photo's or pics of a new car. To the rest of you, well you can go back to your all important presidential debate or picking on Newbies or whatever floats your boat, I'm done now. :cheers:

Ozsum2 said:
WTF man? He say he loves it, then bla bla. We give him every option known to mankind, then there is more of the same. I'm all for letting a man cry in his beer. It's got nothing to do with compassion.

We know it has nothing to do with compassion when talking about you Oz, as you have none. Weren't you taught to never use a word in a sentence that you don't know the meaning for?

Pakrat said:
Everyone else thanks for the interest wether it's legititmate or fained, I appreciate your tolerance of my annoying plight. Oz is finally right though, it's time to move on so I'll do that and figure the rest out for myself. If I have further questions I'll use the IM to contact those that have been helpful and maybe I'll be back this spring with either resto photo's or pics of a new car. To the rest of you, well you can go back to your all important presidential debate or picking on Newbies or whatever floats your boat, I'm done now. :cheers:

Pak, no need to apologize or justify anything to Oz, he is grumpy lately and you'd think it would be the opposite with Bush winning.

Anyway, what I want to say is that everyone here can understand your pain (mayby everyone less 1). We are a community with a common interest and therefore are here to support people in their endeavors, good or bad. Therefore, I say you post anything you want during this tough time and I (speaking for myself) will do whatever I can to assist you.

67GTFastback said:
:lol:

Blake, that is hilarious. I wonder how long before Oz gets fed up with us "teaming" up on him before he pulls a temper tantrum and leaves again.

I agree, and I told Blakey that. I am energized now more than ever since the big guy whipped up on the other guy. I would like to thank you 67. Pak never would have came back out of the closet if he didn't have your hand to hold. Well done. :nice: :flag:

Pakrat said:
Spoken like a mighty and strong "above everyone" American, he's still on a high from Bush winning so he can't help kicking the little guy when he's down, don't take it personal anyone, I'm not. I learned a long time ago that OZ has to be a prick each day or he can't live with himself.

Don't worry OZ, I prefaced by saying this was the last time I was going to burden anyone with opinions on your forum and I meant it so you can move along now and go pick on whoever happens to not think like you today, I'm done.

BTW though, didn't you say some time ago that you were not going to post anymore and only reply by IM. What happened to that? Did you miss the stage that much or did did all those victories in your own mind seem hollow without an audience? At least I'm talking about something Mustang, but this place gets less and less about that each day so I'll let you get back to what's important.

That was my thought, but numerous PM's of the folks who I continued to help ask me to come back. I couldn't let em down could I? What would you have done? WOW!!! Prick and Jackass in the same day. Nice. :nice: And, you're right that I am right. There is only so many opinions that one can offer. I was sincere when I offered my opinions. You asked for them, and I gave. I thought they were legitamate. :shrug:

Hey Oz, one thing I don't get here. You said "can we move on now" so why don't you? Honest question. I'm just wondering here because YOU read the posts by Pak, then type out a response and post your reply. If you want to move on, wouldn't it be easier to just not post at all man?

You know he's upset about his car being wrecked, let him be. Should the same unfortunate thing happen to you, I doubt this is how Pak or anyone else would have replied to you, regardless of who is bickering with who.

Pak, I would stay with the car. You know the car inside and out, it's your baby. Think about it. You can go buy another classic, but you have to figure out all the kinks all over again, who knows you might hae to re-wire it 3 days after you buy it and then wish you had never bought it. I know that is a stretch, but it's possible. Now if you can bring yourself to ditch the ol vert, and you're ready to try your hand at another classic for the fun experience and something new, then go for it. My coupe was recently wrecked, and I got a fair amount of money from damges only AND I get to keep the car with a clear title. I'm saving right now to do it right with more cash the way I'd have done it before the wreck. It's only a car, but it's like part of the family, I can't bring myself to sell it. Some of the best fun I've had is with my buds working away on the mustang. Whatever you end up doing, good luck.

MrBobMarley said:
Hey Oz, one thing I don't get here. You said "can we move on now" so why don't you? Honest question. I'm just wondering here because YOU read the posts by Pak, then type out a response and post your reply. If you want to move on, wouldn't it be easier to just not post at all man?

You know he's upset about his car being wrecked, let him be. Should the same unfortunate thing happen to you, I doubt this is how Pak or anyone else would have replied to you, regardless of who is bickering with who.

Pak, I would stay with the car. You know the car inside and out, it's your baby. Think about it. You can go buy another classic, but you have to figure out all the kinks all over again, who knows you might hae to re-wire it 3 days after you buy it and then wish you had never bought it. I know that is a stretch, but it's possible. Now if you can bring yourself to ditch the ol vert, and you're ready to try your hand at another classic for the fun experience and something new, then go for it. My coupe was recently wrecked, and I got a fair amount of money from damges only AND I get to keep the car with a clear title. I'm saving right now to do it right with more cash the way I'd have done it before the wreck. It's only a car, but it's like part of the family, I can't bring myself to sell it. Some of the best fun I've had is with my buds working away on the mustang. Whatever you end up doing, good luck.

Concerns were asked and they were responded to. I have never been one to ignore a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.