The Maker Thread - Definition Enclosed

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
Maker
Used to describe those who love to create things in their spare time (often electronic and/or mechanical, often with their own hands). Also called Hobbyists. The term is popular in the open hardware and hardware hacking electronics communities.

With that aside, I can think of a few people off the top of my head that frequent this section that will be looking up nozzle and filament prices about meow.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCqwA1h3JV4

• Sponsors (?)

With the advances in printers and filaments, it was only a matter of time before this sort of "mod" becomes more and more common.

The Fox stock airbox location is pretty large. Someone could design and build a pretty decent enclosure to house a conical filter and still draw air from the fenderwell.

Reactions: 2 users
I’ve b

Ive been wondering if one of those could be made to work....

Oh yeah. Comes with a conical air filter, feeds from the fender, and I have gotten a 77mm MAF inside of one. Makes for a cleaner look. The hose coming off is wider though, and you would have to get one of those Fox conversion pipes.

Kurt

Junkyard SN air box. Boom!

Kurt
Oh yeah. Comes with a conical air filter, feeds from the fender, and I have gotten a 77mm MAF inside of one. Makes for a cleaner look. The hose coming off is wider though, and you would have to get one of those Fox conversion pipes.

Kurt
This... is a great idea... I'm... I'm gonna steal it for the Pinto, I mean Mustang II.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Maker
Used to describe those who love to create things in their spare time (often electronic and/or mechanical, often with their own hands). Also called Hobbyists. The term is popular in the open hardware and hardware hacking electronics communities.

With that aside, I can think of a few people off the top of my head that frequent this section that will be looking up nozzle and filament prices about meow.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCqwA1h3JV4

I've had my eye on a 3D printer for prototyping and fabrication purposes. My ex-girlfriend had an x-carve machine, and it was amazing to be able to CNC wood, plastic, foam, and so on, so I really want one of those too, but have nowhere to put it.

I've had my eye on a 3D printer for prototyping and fabrication purposes. My ex-girlfriend had an x-carve machine, and it was amazing to be able to CNC wood, plastic, foam, and so on, so I really want one of those too, but have nowhere to put it.

They do not require much space. An Ender 5 is an example of the footprint that I have in mind when I say that.

An enclosure is a [must] IMO but this is something you can easily fabricate for any machine. A heated bed is also a necessity and it neds to be robust.

Other things that are necessities:

Large sealable container (large enough to hold 3 filament spools)
1 Gallon of color-changing desiccant
1 surface-mountable hobby store light bulb fixture
1 110V Muffin fan
1 automatic timer
1 60 watt incandescent light bulb
(Note: I have used these items to magically return sanity to hobbyists who swore that, "That's not it" more than a dozen times.)

This is stuff you need in order to print PLA. To print other filaments, various nozzles, hot-ends, etc.. are required depending on the material and quality you're trying to print.

Additional note: Don't plan to run your 3D printer out int he garage unless it is fully climate controlled.

They do not require much space. An Ender 5 is an example of the footprint that I have in mind when I say that.

An enclosure is a [must] IMO but this is something you can easily fabricate for any machine. A heated bed is also a necessity and it neds to be robust.

Other things that are necessities:

Large sealable container (large enough to hold 3 filament spools)
1 Gallon of color-changing desiccant
1 surface-mountable hobby store light bulb fixture
1 110V Muffin fan
1 automatic timer
1 60 watt incandescent light bulb
(Note: I have used these items to magically return sanity to hobbyists who swore that, "That's not it" more than a dozen times.)

This is stuff you need in order to print PLA. To print other filaments, various nozzles, hot-ends, etc.. are required depending on the material and quality you're trying to print.
I have the room for the 3D printer, it's the X-carve I lack the room for. (The Ender 5 is the exact one I've been looking into, stop reading my mind!)

I have the room for the 3D printer, it's the X-carve I lack the room for. (The Ender 5 is the exact one I've been looking into, stop reading my mind!)

It's a nice machine out of the box and upgrades make it amazing. The only repeatable complaint that I hear again and again is that they wish it were bigger. LoL

That will always be a thing.

Those are also nice. You have to be super careful about which one you're buying and what you're trying to do with it. There are also models that are easier to upgrade and accept better upgrade parts than others.

I've used them to make the letters on instrument panel keys that were backlit. We'd print the buttons in clear PLA, spray them black, then cut the letters through the paint with the laser.

There's room inside the fender for a conical air filter. Remove the stock airbox & use that hole with a 3 in pipe.
You can see it on the passenger side. In my case, that's the outlet of the intercooler & the MAF is inside the fender.
You can use the hole on the opposite side if you remove the washer reservoir which is where my conical filter resides.
IMG_1867.JPG

Mine is routed to the fender with a 4" AFM Power Pipe. I won't likely change the routing but I could def see myself making an air-box for the fender to contain the conical filter. I'd also incorporate a drain hole in the bottom and debris vent out the back.