Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Im glad you got that cleared up. Any more major obstacles before you are able to try running it once assembled? You have your intake system made, exhaust... Did you get the water pump remounted and plumbed, or still need to figure that out?
Nope, decided on the path for the water hoses yesterday, and glued the fittings in place. Just ordered the two gaskets that I need from Rock Auto, and will get the AN fittings from Summit. I relocated the IAT sensor to the back side of the air box where it can't be seen, and will probably just get another one as a dummy when I have to have the airbox off. The relocated mounts for the water pump have been welded on the side cover for a week now. I had to dump muriatic acid in the oil pan yesterday to try and get rid of the rust that had accumulated while it was mounted dry the first time around,....and that's all done now. The only thing left to do is spray bomb the few areas that got chipped or scratched in the bay, and then I'll be able to drop the engine in next Sunday or Monday.

It's not all plug and play by any stretch, there are still a bunch of fidgety little details I'll have to deal with once it's back in the bay, but, it's pretty much down hill from here.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I don't wanna hear it.

I do not care if you don't like my copper engine...I like the color.

I started off this morning by sealing the side of the engine. As many ties as I've had this plate off, I finally think I've gotit down to a science.
IMAG0089_zpsdgdrvgy5.jpg

Even if I had the plate sealed properly, the studs would seep. Not any more though. I'm using nylock lock nuts to serve as gaskets to keep the oil form seeping out. I learned that I needed to set a really thick bead, and put that plate on there loose, and let it sit long enough to skin over. Then, when I tighten it down, the stuff doesn't ooze all over the place.
IMAG0091_zpsmj3jw2xd.jpg

Just a neat little blob barely oozin' into the lifter galley.

I need a couple of days to get it ready to run. The following pictures are mock up's.
IMAG0096_zpsuuvaauoa.jpg

IMAG0095_zpsphtwq8ua.jpg

I don't know what I'm gonna do about the throttle cable....It runs right into the the TPS sensor...Maybe drop the thing down an inch..
IMAG0092_zpsd6g81698.jpg

IMAG0094_zpsqm2scd5c.jpg

IMAG0093_zpsgamo9hgm.jpg

The head is on and torqued, but that is the only thing in these pictures that is complete. The headers are hanging by 4 bolts, the throttle bodies have just one nut holding them on. The airbox is just sitting there...The valves aren't adjusted, none of the hoses are ran, and that in of itself is a pretty significant undertaking.. the trans lines are just dangling, and the oil hoses have to be re-routed. Now that I shouldn't have blow-by out the ass, I should be able to put the breathers back on the valve cover directly, but now I have these -12 nipples glued in place....Another thing that I'll have to adapt. .If I was off tomorrow (my normal day off) I'd have the thing to about 90%......But I'm not off tomorrow.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users
On the stand it looks horrible, but in the car with everything bolted on it looks pretty good. I think the glass box was the way to go, those donuts, whatever their called, look good.

Joe

Reactions: 1 user
I hope that is bulletproof glass; if it isn't the first backfire that breaks the glass will cause all the glass shards to be sucked into the engine.

Otherwise, it looks really nice. :nice:

While i was recuperating in the shower after the last update, im thinkin' that im gonna shelve the ITB plan for now. Im tired of having to change stuff around. The mock up was a reality check of sorts. not only will i have to relocate the throttle linkage (leaving a hole in the firewall where the existing location is), but there's the linkage, the vacuum issue, the IAT,..tuning,...blah..blah, blah.....

i could put the old intake on there, and bolt the 70mm TB on the thing, and be soo much further along to running, (normally) it'd be night, and day.

As long as this particular re-do has taken, I'm none too eager to continue to keep throwing another obstacle in the path...

I'm not gonna throw the ITB idea away,....I'll just put it on the back burner...

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user
What ??? No ITB....thought that was focal point now that the turbo is gone.

You've got the warm weather itch...

You know it's coming and don't want to get caught not being able to drive the " Monster ". All this over a throttke cable...and a hole in the firewall. You could put a closed grommet in there and call it a day...

That engine looks perfect as it is. The headers even look good with the." woopty do ". The copper color makes it all look like it came from some crazy mad scientists lab.

I can't believe you want to take the ITBs off and use a regular old fabbed up single TB'd intake.

So....what your saying is.....you give up.

Yes..I thought it was because I was tired, and lost my patience...But,....

It's because placing the ITB's on the transition elbows is a giant PITA. All 6 of them have to be placed on the manifold at the same time, because you cannot get the shaft through each throttle body if they're bolted on individually. It hits the radiator saddle. Trying to put the shaft through the throttle bodies while each one has RTV slathered on their bases, then moving the whole wonky contraption over to the manifold, and trying to set each one on the studs is just a big giant hassle.

The bigger issue is the interference. The TPS sensor is all over throttle cable, The bulkhead where all of the wiring exits is there, the fuel fitting is there,..... it's just a giant jug fck.

Lastly,....even after all of that is dealt with.. there's the "will it run right?", and what am I gonna have to do to get it there. There are 6 throttle screws..No common vacuum plenum, leaves me wondering if it'll run speed density, or whether it'll have to be converted to Alpha N...
And I know so little about Speed density as it is...Alpha N is like a carburetor only with separate injectors...
What does the finger say?

Rememeber what I said I wanted.....Why I got rid of the Turbo in the first place...

I want it reliable....
I want it easy...
I want it to be done.

Last edited:
I hope that is bulletproof glass; if it isn't the first backfire that breaks the glass will cause all the glass shards to be sucked into the engine.

Otherwise, it looks really nice. :nice:

Add some Cell phone plastic mylar sheet to keep it intact and clean.

Alpha N and speed density, its all just gravey.....as long as the average throttle postion is right witin a few degrees, it'll idle ITB just fine.

Touring car legand Kevin Bartlett said it best when an Aussie bloke doing a 250 X flow conversion to an old 250 engine asked a whole bunch of questions.

The Big Rev Kev said (And I quote),
Big Rev Kev Kevin Bartlett said:
Well, you'll just have to make the changes required....

https://www.facebook.com/Big-Rev-Kev-Kevin-Bartlett-188824467850334/

View: https://www.facebook.com/188824467850334/videos/1438635102869258/

You make your own luck, Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.