The (near) Future is Not Electric

The fees for Tesla Supercharging change per state, plus some states charge an idle fee. Idle fee is charge for sitting at a charging station hooked up, while the vehicle is fully charged. Essentially hogging the gas pump so to speak.

Here in MA, it's about $10 for an hour of supercharging, plus 40 cents/min idle fee. Lots of newer developments like Malls and hospitals and other businesses are being built with such stations here. You can run your errands and charge while you are in the store.

Also, I have a bunch of electricians in the family (myself included formerly), and EV charging stations in the garage are a popular install these days from what I hear. A lot of folks here also go solar at the same time with battery storage solutions for the home.

I think the Infrastructure is far from being able to support 100% EV, but I am seeing progress. I don't think it's equal in all parts of the country however, and i would expect to see some areas that have zero implementation of EV infrastructure. Supply and demand. Right now, the demand is unequal.

• Sponsors (?)

The 2022 Toyota Sienna is a hybrid that gets 36/36 MPG. That seems like a great intermediate step until hydrogen becomes viable.

The only flaw I see in the above video is that they plan to use electricity generated from solar panels. It's a great idea, but they wont replace traditional fuels using solar. Not at this point of our technology. However, I would rather see this being supplemented into traditional fuels instead of ethanol from corn. The ethanol thing is and always has been a horrible idea in my opinion. All I can see that ethanol used in fuel has done for us is increase the cost of food and make our gasoline suck. Oh, and make some politicians rich.

Reactions: 3 users
I wuz hopin for the day when merica would rule again. We got them all on the autonomous cuz da govment, colleges, big business, etc got together. Love to see a world car made here. We just need the same effort behind the infrastructure to have the charging system work (no coal or nukes to make lectricity). 6, 9 mo ago the fed passed the permission to reproduce quanity classic cars w/o financial penelty to the manafacturer. Also- Wanna early phony? a 90's? Got lectric crate motors now...
D10B24CE-48E0-457C-99B4-BA8C39D7AAB2.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
The only flaw I see in the above video is that they plan to use electricity generated from solar panels. It's a great idea, but they wont replace traditional fuels using solar. Not at this point of our technology. However, I would rather see this being supplemented into traditional fuels instead of ethanol from corn. The ethanol thing is and always has been a horrible idea in my opinion. All I can see that ethanol used in fuel has done for us is increase the cost of food and make our gasoline suck. Oh, and make some politicians rich.

They do say that other fuel sources to run the plant could be used and the co2 produced circulated through the collection system. This company is already doing it. They already have plants running as we speak.

They do say that other fuel sources to run the plant could be used and the co2 produced circulated through the collection system. This company is already doing it. They already have plants running as we speak.
Thats awesome! I really do like the idea. I've always liked the idea of use alternative fuels/bio-fuels. In college I went to a few bio-fuel symposiums and did a good bit of research into the industry. There are lots of potential sources for the raw materials needed to make bio-fuels. There is a plant, more like a weed, that grows in Asia that produces a fruit that yields something like 80% usable material for conversion into bio-fuel. The Mad Max pig poop thing is actually a real thing. There are companies that, at least were, doing research into high yield algae for bio-fuels. The list of possibilities is long. I even went to visit a man just out side of Birmingham that had a truck that ran off of syngas. Got to go for a ride in that truck doing 70+ feeding the big 460 with nothing but poorly burned wood chips. The wood thing will never replace gasoline, but syngas is used to make all kinds of things. When I worked in south Louisiana I was across the street from a plant that made bio-diesel out of chicken fat. The major obstacles in the way of a lot of these ventures is politics. There is a lot of money changing hands due to the ethanol requirements. And of course the oil companies obviously lobby for suppression. Bottom line I guess is follow the money. If these guys can get a solid start and make a difference. I'm all for it. I went to their website. It looks like they are at least making headway.

Thats awesome! I really do like the idea. I've always liked the idea of use alternative fuels/bio-fuels. In college I went to a few bio-fuel symposiums and did a good bit of research into the industry. There are lots of potential sources for the raw materials needed to make bio-fuels. There is a plant, more like a weed, that grows in Asia that produces a fruit that yields something like 80% usable material for conversion into bio-fuel. The Mad Max pig poop thing is actually a real thing. There are companies that, at least were, doing research into high yield algae for bio-fuels. The list of possibilities is long. I even went to visit a man just out side of Birmingham that had a truck that ran off of syngas. Got to go for a ride in that truck doing 70+ feeding the big 460 with nothing but poorly burned wood chips. The wood thing will never replace gasoline, but syngas is used to make all kinds of things. When I worked in south Louisiana I was across the street from a plant that made bio-diesel out of chicken fat. The major obstacles in the way of a lot of these ventures is politics. There is a lot of money changing hands due to the ethanol requirements. And of course the oil companies obviously lobby for suppression. Bottom line I guess is follow the money. If these guys can get a solid start and make a difference. I'm all for it. I went to their website. It looks like they are at least making headway.
Somewhere years ago I ran across instructions to make a tractor run off wood gas. Apparently the government put it out during WW2.

One year ago, I bought 27 gallons of gas for just over $45.
Yesterday I bought the same 27 gallons of gas for just over $96 (OK, it was not the EXACT same gas)

This whole "EV" thing is a fanciful ideology that crumbles in the face of truth.

Reactions: 1 users
Yesterday I bought the same 27 gallons of gas for just over $96 (OK, it was not the EXACT same gas)

This whole "EV" thing is a fanciful ideology that crumbles in the face of truth.
Ahhhh, truth???? Nobody believes the truth anymore, the electric companies say solar/wind power will lower your electric bill.
hold your breath on that one.

Reactions: 2 users

Fanciful is such a great and underutilized word and is the perfect application when speaking in 2021 about green energy.

Reactions: 1 users