Progress Thread The Northwoods Notch

I say if it's fun to drive and is reliable stick with it, it is a 'old car' afterall.
i got that...these are all “old cars“...
Who uses that rule to decide on whether or not to buy a supercharger/ turbocharger?
How many ” Old cars” have you seen with some freaking blower/centri SC/turbo added to it?

After all.

• Sponsors (?)

WTF Mike? Just giving my opinion!
My opinion does not need to be discussed as to accuracy or popular opinion,
And why you picking on me tonight?
Just cause I guessed your run last sunday correctly ( and it was a lucky guess) and you think it's slow? Well, I think it is a fairly respectable time for a heavy azzed old car with a tiny hair dryer on it.
Sorry, that's my opinion too!!!! :cool:

Reactions: 1 user
WTF Mike? Just giving my opinion!
My opinion does not need to be discussed as to accuracy or popular opinion,
And why you picking on me tonight?
Just cause I guessed your run last sunday correctly ( and it was a lucky guess) and you think it's slow? Well, I think it is a fairly respectable time for a heavy azzed old car with a tiny hair dryer on it.
Sorry, that's my opinion too!!!! :cool:
Here...i’ll remember to use this one next time so that you’ll know from where it comes..:stick:

• Agree
I value both of your opinions. Both are correct. @General karthief you’re right about stuff breaking and projects spinning out of control. And @CarMichael Angelo you’re right about hotrodding. I’ve always wanted to boost my car.

To be clear, I’m not scared of my friends car. But I would certainly need rear tires after boosting. His power is completely unusable currently. I am happy with my car for now. I enjoy working on it, mostly in the winter. Summers are short here and I just like to drive it during that time. If I boost it it will be 4000$. Then it will be 800$ for tires then it will be... etc, etc. I’ll probably do it eventually yes. But right now I’m thinking about just keeping it simple. Between my car, jeep, truck, Harley, dirt bikes, and life, I’ve got a lot to maintain. That’s expensive and time consuming. I’d like to say money isn’t an object, but it is.

I’ve got a decision to make. I’d still be interested in hearing from someone who was once In my position.

Drew

I've had 4 different s/c setups on my original 302w , now n/a 393w still have my stock short block in storage.
My car is and always has been a street cruiser, they were all fun and ranged in boost from my Paxton SN series
at 5#. to the V1 and V2 that made 10-12#.
Also had an A trim that put out 10# , that little pipsqueak was awesome until the impeller met the case.

All these boost setups require proper supporting mods and tuning, as you probably know there are many ways
to accomplish that , some are better than others.

In the end I wanted the more consistent reliability of n/a with the power of boost, so I built a 351w based stroker.
I definitely achieved the power I was looking for but still needed proper mods and tuning, most of that was already
in place from my boosted setups.
Good or bad if I put my foot in it now I'm on ice skates in first and second....it is fun though !

Looking back on all of it I don't regret any combo but part of me wishes I just stayed with my original 302w with low to moderate boost,
it was plenty fun.

Don't know if I helped you out at all but that's my story..lol

Ordered some Parts. Pypes came out with a 3 inch tail pipe I decided to try. Part number TFM15. It's entirely polished unlike the flowmaster 3".
A813D11B-B887-49AA-9E33-C8266475C0F7.jpeg

I also ordered the necessary adapters and clamps. Still undecided on mufflers. I want to try a straight through style. I'm leaning towards Pypes Violators but am also considering Magnaflow Magnapacks. OR, I may just keep my current flowmaster 40's. I love the sound of them but it's the second car I've had with them and they're getting little old. I love the idle sound a straight through muffler provides.

Next, I'll probably order the LMR cup holder center console. I like keeping interiors original but I think this will make the car more enjoyable to drive. Once I decide on mufflers I will order those. Other parts I would like to get this winter are MM adjustable Rear control arms and a new headunit. Mine is pretty outdated and I would like to have car play and a microphone for talking on the phone. I figure it will also make the car more enjoyable, not to mention safer. I need to decide how I want to procede regarding boost in the future. That will influence my purchase regarding the lower control arms. I probably should just buy the Extreme duty and be done with it though.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users
I agree, depending on what you drive. I don't currently use the phone in my car. It's too distracting with the standard transmission especially. My F150 has sync and is handsfree. I use it often. It's no different than looking at the radio briefly or talking to a passenger IMO. I'm ok with handsfree. Holding a cellphone while talking is illegal in Maine. TEXTING and driving is BS. Or scrolling, or whatever.

TEXTING and driving is BS. Or scrolling, or whatever.

I couldn't agree more. Maybe I’m getting old, or too safety conscious now that my 16 yr old has her permit, but I have become almost too aware of the possibility of a head on collision on a two lane road.
Way too many people not paying attention and wandering all over!

Ordered some Parts. Pypes came out with a 3 inch tail pipe I decided to try. Part number TFM15. It's entirely polished unlike the flowmaster 3".
A813D11B-B887-49AA-9E33-C8266475C0F7.jpeg

I also ordered the necessary adapters and clamps. Still undecided on mufflers. I want to try a straight through style. I'm leaning towards Pypes Violators but am also considering Magnaflow Magnapacks. OR, I may just keep my current flowmaster 40's. I love the sound of them but it's the second car I've had with them and they're getting little old. I love the idle sound a straight through muffler provides.

Next, I'll probably order the LMR cup holder center console. I like keeping interiors original but I think this will make the car more enjoyable to drive. Once I decide on mufflers I will order those. Other parts I would like to get this winter are MM adjustable Rear control arms and a new headunit. Mine is pretty outdated and I would like to have car play and a microphone for talking on the phone. I figure it will also make the car more enjoyable, not to mention safer. I need to decide how I want to procede regarding boost in the future. That will influence my purchase regarding the lower control arms. I probably should just buy the Extreme duty and be done with it though.
Are they two piece per side? Looks like a slip joint in the middle? Very nice looking, and two piece would make on and off much easier!

I'm not sure if they are two pieces or not. They look like it though. I'll take a pic when they get in. I'm excited.. I've been wanting tail pipes since I cut mine off lol. I guess other mods too priority though.

I used to have Pypes violators , I know exhaust sound is subjective but I thought they were
on the annoying side of loud.
Ended up installing a set of Ultra flows which are also a straight through design but sound
better with less drone than the violators imo.

I used to have Pypes violators , I know exhaust sound is subjective but I thought they were
on the annoying side of loud.
Ended up installing a set of Ultra flows which are also a straight through design but sound
better with less drone than the violators imo.
Fantastic feedback. I'm not completely set on the violators but I want something louder. I have 40's dumped right now and they're the definition on drone. I fear once I put the tail pipes on they'll be too quiet now that I'm used to the dumps. I like loud, but there's a fine line.