I couldn't help it. Thus is just filling in a few bad spots, gluing down the worse, and filling a couple holes. It'll all be sanded back down flat before the layers get added.

20210325_202328.jpg

It's getting sanded all the way down. Don't worry. I started sanding on the front inner lip and it kept flexing. I couldn't take it anymore. Mixed up too much cut strand resin and had to use it all.

No wasted material :nice:

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 3 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Getting closer....

20210326_064948.jpg

Did more sanding. Everything I've come across says that if the paint is adhered to the fiberglass there's no need to remove it all. Just sand with atleast 120 grit. The red paint and layers below it are sticking well. Not sure if I'm going to sand it all the way down or not.

Here's where I stopped. Found a couple more simple issues.

20210326_202212.jpg

Tomorrow is a trip to look at some prefab houses for my farm property. Then going to get 40 and 60 grit paper for my electric sander, more glass, and try to find some gell coat.

Reactions: 1 users
Getting closer....

20210326_064948.jpg

Did more sanding. Everything I've come across says that if the paint is adhered to the fiberglass there's no need to remove it all. Just sand with atleast 120 grit. The red paint and layers below it are sticking well. Not sure if I'm going to sand it all the way down or not.

Here's where I stopped. Found a couple more simple issues.

20210326_202212.jpg

Tomorrow is a trip to look at some prefab houses for my farm property. Then going to get 40 and 60 grit paper for my electric sander, more glass, and try to find some gell coat.
I like that you’re repairing the hood! I get sentimental over stuff that may seem stupid to others too....... you just gotta do what makes you happy!!! Keep on keepin on!

Reactions: 1 user
A little more progress. All of the peeling black paint is now gone. The surface is also a lot smoother. Using weave fiber so I'll have a little more smoothing to do after it gets layed. No luck on gel coat. Don't really need it. The primer and paint treatment will be OK.

20210327_143232.jpg

Because of all the layers under the candy red it's very hard to sand....even with 60 grit. There's a few very small dots of black that were deep in pits in the glass. It's getting layered with another coat of glas so I don't think it'll be an issue.

20210327_164758.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Thought I sent the other post but it was just here sitting while I did all this.

Two layers of fiberglass weave and a top layer of mat.

20210327_184557.jpg

It's going to be hell to sand but oh well...wutya gonna do :shrug:

Had to rig the hood up on the fender stand so the resin didn't run.

20210327_184609.jpg

The holes for the strut tower brace from 15 years ago are finally almost gone.

20210327_202610.jpg

No stores had any more mat in the area. Guess I'll have to venture out further tomorrow. I would've been done today but the Ol'Lady didn't leave until 12 for work ( had to listen to her talk most of the morning and pay her some attention ). Then the woman called me at 1:30 'cause she left her dang work keys home. Can't be the closing manager with no keys. :bang:

I took her the keys and lost another hour + of my day.

The weather app is also a liar. Said no rain until 3am tonight....but there were raindrops falling on my head around 5.

Anyways, it's getting done...and I feel productive. That's all that matters right now.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh man, I helped my brother replace the complete floor in a 21' ski boat 2 years ago. Looking at this is making me itch already!!! :ack:

I'm pretty sure it's going to look awesome when you get done! :cookie:

This is the current state of this project. I inspected the bottom of the hood and there are no cracks. Not a single one. I guess it just cracked the top layer. That was sanded and repaired with glass about 2 years ago and with all the flexing on the fender stand there are also no cracks there either. That means I'm not laying glass on that part of the under side. I've decided to clear the speckled surface as it is. Will be unique looking and save me a bunch of time. The frame is going to be painted a semi gloss black. I don't want to sand the bottom all the way flat and don't want to have to sand another layer flat. After this I'm done with sanding for a while. Two straight days so far.

20210328_140834.jpg

20210328_164322.jpg

20210328_164327.jpg

I really want to see if the fuel vapor has actually vaporized out. This is the purpose of clear and not colored paint. I can see how it reacts underneath it. It would be easy to sand if I ever decide to paint it a color.

That's it for tonight. Had to cut it short at 5pm to go have dinner with friends. Good wine and great people.

Reactions: 4 users
Ever wonder if the new fiberglass is going to stick well to the old? The epoxy resin is what holds the fibers together, new or old. I sometimes wonder about the bond of new to old. What do you do? Degrease it, hit it with 60 grit, blow the dust off, stick the new stuff on and forget about worrying?

Ever wonder if the new fiberglass is going to stick well to the old? The epoxy resin is what holds the fibers together, new or old. I sometimes wonder about the bond of new to old. What do you do? Degrease it, hit it with 60 grit, blow the dust off, stick the new stuff on and forget about worrying?

I sand it down with 60 grit, vacuum the majority of the dust off, and wipe down with acetone twice allowing it to dry both times. I've never had an issue glassing over glass.

On something structural or that takes a lot of abuse I'll cut lines in the sanded down part of the old glass. That's what I did to the stress cracks. Kinda like stitches. Lay some fibers across the cracks before the top piece of glass get layed.

On the front of the hood I ground it down and made a paste of resin with cut fibers mixed in. I used that to stuff the holes. I've never seen fiberglass pop away from old glass. I have seen it crack again though. When I first started trying to fix glass I did it all wrong. Just notched the cracks out and filled with resin. That xrap cracked again in no time.

I've even fixed bad places by cutting it out and rebuilding it. Depends on how bad the damage is.

I don't claim to be a body man. I'm just trying to make do. I'm a mechanic....not a body man, but I've learned from my mistakes over the years.

I’ve given a number of fiberglass Sousaphones over the years, and it sounds like I’ve been doing it right. (Yes, I vacuum, not blast off the dust with an air hose.) They rarely move at 75 mph across the field to test the repairs.

Had a hell of a day at work..and the ride home was ridiculous. My commute is normally about an hour...except Fridays where it take 2 hours. Today it took me an hour and 45 minutes. I don't know how long I'm going to keep this up when there's another location 12 minutes from my house.

Anyway, I spread some filler to fill a few low spots and pin holes. Tried using my spreader but it didn't work well in the corners....so I used my gloved fingers. It looks like he'll but is sanding out pretty good. No pictures because it looks terrible where I haven't sanded it down yet. This is going to take a few sessions. I'm not making it perfect but it will be 10 times better than it was. I'm sure there will be a wave here and there. No real way to get in there with a block. I'm using rolled sandpaper, loose sandpaper, and sandpaper around a plastic tube about 1 inch round. I'm up to 220....woo-hoo !!!

Oh....and I sprayed some black primer so I could see when I get close to the glass.

What do y'all think if these wheels ? Thinking 235 in the front and 255 or 265 in the rear.

Screenshot_20210317-204655_Chrome.jpg

They have them in 9.5 too but I don't think they'll fit with the irs.

Also looked at these...

Screenshot_20210317-204134_Chrome.jpg
Damn you! Every day I keep looking at these wheels (#2) and keep thinking I need to go this direction. Now to see if this offset will work on an 86 with an sn95 5 lug conversion. I definitely think I like these better than the FR500 I was leaning towards! And to think I had my mind made up.

Damn you! Every day I keep looking at these wheels (#2) and keep thinking I need to go this direction. Now to see if this offset will work on an 86 with an sn95 5 lug conversion. I definitely think I like these better than the FR500 I was leaning towards! And to think I had my mind made up.

That style wheel just seems to be right for a fox mustang. I'm sure they have an offset that will work.

A little ugliness for hump day....

20210329_194550.jpg

20210331_065356.jpg

I feel like I'll be sanding into next year. Once I get the low spots filled I think it'll move pretty quickly. This is more like making a sculpture versus body work. It's gotta get done though.

Layer after layer...until it's smooth as buttah.... you have no idea how bad this looked before I started sanding it down.

It seems like forever to get to this point. Coming together though. Cutting this stuff back has left a layer of Christmas in the garage. Nothing that can't be cleaned up. It's too freaking cold and windy to have the door open right now.

20210401_222451.jpg

Another guide coat and filling in some final low spots...before another guide coat and finding more low spots. Sunday " Easter " it's going to be 75 degrees. Hopefully I can get it painted then. We will see.

It never stops....this is the second go around for pin holes, deep scratches, and more low spots.

20210402_223400.jpg

Looks worse than it is. I tend to use too much spot putty.

The dust is everywhere. Gives me an excuse to wash the car when it warms up again. The engine is covered so shouldn't be too bad under there.

20210402_223442.jpg