Engine The Secret of the Fox body Starter top bolt. Shhhh!!!

DanB93

15 Year Member
Apr 1, 2007
OK its not really secret and I have found a few good threads on here about a few ways to approach it from under the car and on top using extensions and such, but why? I am talking about the top bolt, the bottom bolt is easy from under the car but the top isn't. Some have tired with small ratchets and others with long extensions, some say take the tire off and then have a friend help but it's right there if you look. I tried from under the car with a small ratchet at the top bolt and couldn't do it and was going to give up. Then I took off passenger tire and it was staring at me! Again some threads have mentioned taking tire off but then still mention some other steps put i tell ya just look it's in there. Easy
IMG_0084.jpeg
IMG_0088.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

We didn't have much room to remove the wheel, given the way it was backed into the garage. Maybe only 12-18" of clearance.
Without removing the wheel, this is how it's done.
Two wobble end extensions. Long one with socket goes to starter, short one to wrench. I think they were about 1ft and 6 inch. Goes over top of motor mount. If you try it the other way around, no can do. Right hand feeds the socket, left hand reaches around, catches the socket, puts it on the bolt by feel, dont bother trying to see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Good thing I have a tubular k member. No problem getting to the bolts at all.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m seeing this as I’m currently doing a clutch swap and can’t remember having so much trouble with top bolt!! I can get a wrench straight down on it by the shock tower but it’s wanting to round off and of course will only catch in one small position because there’s only 30 degrees or so of “rotating room”.. mine also seem to be 1/2”.. 13mm socket fits bottom (I think it was a 13) certainly they’re the same... car is high on jack stands so hopefully I can impact the lug nuts off... hope this works..thanks once again guys!!