The Tragic Tale of ElSuperPinto

I need some advice.

Here is the current location of the fuel pump and fuel filter for the EFI system:

20200429_194908.jpg

While they worked well enough with the fuel cell in the trunk, they happen to be in the way of the stock fuel tank I'm going to be installing.

Does anyone else that's spent time under the ass end of a II have an idea on where to relocate them (preferably very near the tank)?

Also, the pinhole on the top of the right quarter panel by the decklid is now the size of a nickel, and it let rainwater into the trunk last night. I guess that's the new priority number one.

20200429_194914.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

You installed the pump behind the support where the left fuel tank strap is installed. My thoughts where to make a sheet metal that I can attach in front of this support and put filter and pump onto this sheet metal. I want to use a thick sheet metal to reduce noise. Also the support seems to be an good attaching point, because it isn't a big shell surface that can radiate noise.

Does that style of pump need to be installed below the tank somewhere, meaning is it gravity fed to the pump? If not you could install it along the support where the shocks mount. Otherwise I can't think of a good place for it off the top of my head.

Does that style of pump need to be installed below the tank somewhere, meaning is it gravity fed to the pump? If not you could install it along the support where the shocks mount. Otherwise I can't think of a good place for it off the top of my head.
Ideally, it should be below the tank, but with II tanks running their sending unit at the bottom, it shouldn't be a big deal to run it above the tank so long as it's close to it.

Reactions: 1 user
One thing you could do.... The Fox tanks have in-tank pumps. Hell, pretty much all new cars do. You could replace it with an in-tank pump, you'd just need a sending unit and the corresponding connections from another tank and weld them onto the II tank. OR you could go the path I chose and modify a Fox tank to use. You might need a regulator to go along with all of that, but it's an option I was thinking of.

I'm surprised someone does not make an in tank pump.
I bet if you put an LS engine in it one would fall outta the sky

Nope.

Nope.
I was not say'n you should rather being sarcastic about the 'LS in everything craze'.
Simmer down there ponyboy

I was not say'n you should rather being sarcastic about the 'LS in everything craze'.
Found an LS for $250, it's happening, and it's all your fault.

I'm kidding.

But you said if someone put an LS in one the fuel pump would magically appear. There's two threads on LS II swaps, still no pump.

• Angry
Now you're gonna need a bigger fuel pump! :tss:
Now you're editing your posts while I'm posting so I look like an idiot!!!!!
Wait,....what's that flashing light?
CRAP!!!!!
You responded faster than expected, I was typing the edit at the same time you were typing the reply.

The hilarity that ensued was pure bonus. :spit:

• Love
I'm surprised someone does not make an in tank pump.
I bet if you put an LS engine in it one would fall outta the sky
Now you're gonna need a bigger fuel pump! :tss:
Now you're editing your posts while I'm posting so I look like an idiot!!!!!
Wait,....what's that flashing light?
CRAP!!!!!
All :bs:aside...

That or even one of it's bigger brothers is in the cards for the Coyote swap should it ever happen. It'll involve cutting a hole in the top of the fuel tank, and the modification of the car's trunk floor to provide an access panel at that point, but with all the :poo: that'll be cut out of the other end of the car JUST to fit the engine, that's small potaters.

It's not happening right now because one of the things I really love about the current EFI system is that it's returnless, allowing me to just run the pump and no return line.

That said, the MSD Atomic EFI system, on the whole, is junk. It's no wonder MSD went bankrupt, then got bought out by Holley, who then cut the price of the system in half and slotted it BELOW their previous entry-level EFI system. I actually gave serious though to throwing a carburetor back on the son of a bitch and selling the EFI system on Ebay. I'd come out about $150 ahead if I sold the used system for half the price of a new one and threw a new mechanical fuel pump and a new Edelbrock Thunder AVS 650cfm carburetor back on it (hell, I may have a spare carburetor laying around I haven't thrown on Ebay yet, anything between 600cfm and 700cfm would do).

I could have bought the Coyote engine today... but I did the responsible thing with my Covid stimulus check that FINALLY arrived and paid off my SnapOn scan tool, paid off my Home Depot card, and caught up on two of the three credit cards I was behind on... and bought something nice for myself:

• Hell Yeah!