The Tragic Tale of ElSuperPinto

Triton truck v8? I don't know ford newer engines well enough I guess because it looks like we've covered every displacement of the last 20 yrs

Unless its some weird volvo or jag ford-ish v8

No.

5.2 flat plane gt 350 engine?
If I could afford that, I wouldn't waste it on a II, and I LOVE IIs!

So... We have eliminated:

289, 351, 4.6 2v, 4.6 4v, 5.4, 5.8 Trinity, 3.4 Yamaha, all Jag and Volvo variants, 5.2 Voodoo, Aluminator, 4.6 3v that have been suggested, and there's one engine that's been suggested that I didn't.

We've established that is Ford, and not a Toyota or LS, and isn't electric, and is a V8.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Please let it be the 7.3L Godzilla

th-37.jpeg

I know, I know
goto back of the line.

Thanks to @CarMichael Angelo and this article : https://www.hotrod.com/articles/150-electric-power-steering-junkyard-prius-delivers/

ElSuperPinto is going to have electric power steering.
This is the far better source when considering converting to EPS:

Reactions: 1 users
This is the far better source when considering converting to EPS:

I just got done reading The Ranger Station's article you linked right before coming back to SN.

I was going to be perfectly happy giving up power steering for the super secret powertrain swap, but if I can have my cake and eat it too, with the SUPER reliable Prius steering system? Why the hell wouldn't I?

You've had other influences on this car, but this is by far the biggest.

I just got done reading The Ranger Station's article you linked right before coming back to SN.

I was going to be perfectly happy giving up power steering for the super secret powertrain swap, but if I can have my cake and eat it too, with the SUPER reliable Prius steering system? Why the hell wouldn't I?

You've had other influences on this car, but this is by far the biggest.
That’s what I’m saying. All that’s left now is to see if I can make it fit. I know that it works.

That’s what I’m saying. All that’s left now is to see if I can make it fit. I know that it works.
The Prius should be the best of the units listed to use for a couple of reasons.

It's the 2nd smallest, the most reliable, and the second best for feedback in it's factory application.

The Kia Soul unit listed has the best feedback, but it's huge in comparison, and the little rubber "ninja star" (it's real name is "flexible coupler") that mounts between the motor and the input on the unit is a maintenance item. It's only $2 at the dealership, but why add trouble later? I replace those all the time in Hyundai and Kia products.

The Nissan units can be noisy, and are prone to flexible joint failures.

I've seen a single Corrola unit with an issue.

The Prius, in the 100 or so I've workes on over the years? Not one steering issue. That thing is built well.

Hell of a find! Prius parts in hot rods... What is the world coming to?

Reactions: 1 user
Prius parts in hot rods... What is the world coming to?I
I'm beginning to wonder.
I think if I had one in my fox I doubt I'd admit it. :shrug:
I'd brag about it.

Think about it, you're picking up horsepower, shedding weight, making it more reliable, and in the case of virtually all 70s-90s Fords, making it a LOT quieter. There is ZERO downside here if you can wire, weld, and fabricate.

I shamelessly put Ford starter solenoids on my Chevy truck for years to get the solenoid away from the header heat, I run a Chevy one-wire alternator on the II now because it's simple and reliable and I daily a Toyota that runs a Motorcraft FL910S filter because it's the cheapest high quality oil filter that fits.

I don't give a damn who makes the part that solves my problem so long as it works.

I like this idea so much that the Capri will be getting one as well. My dad wants power steering, and instead of having to rebuild a 42 year old rack from our parts car, I can just add a Prius unit under the dash and save the trouble of plumbing, scrounging up parts from Germany, and making it work with an American pump (probably a GM Saginaw unit at that since I hate the old Ford pumps)... This is just too damned good of an idea.

Last edited: