The Time Has Come.. Maybe..

Hey guys, long time member here, and I do some lurking from time to time when I can, but don't post much.

I don't know if the planets aligned or something, but after all these years my 03 GT is now off the daily driver list should I choose. Wife's daily finally upgraded to this .. and yes, I'm a bit jealous.

ckLH46P.jpg

OiJsG6q.jpg

My GT now has 123k on it, Auto, completely stock except accel coils. Has been thru two leaky intake manifolds(some pitting on the heads by coolant passage), a couple of mods that didn't last(SR rad is one), and have some bits still sitting in the garage(BBK rails, rail mounted gauge), and the other usual stuff. I have a SCT tuner with lifetime tunes from AM, but have always had issues with their email tunes even after contacting them many times(prior to BAMA), and gave up on it years ago. I was trying to get some basics of a build going over the years, but always had bad luck with fitment, etc or finding time to work on a daily driver. Always wanted to find the saleen charger and go that route, no luck.

As it sits now it needs the rear main seal replaced, the abs module is bad, the #1 coil needs a new pigtail connector, pass side inner tie rod(I have new in box), I think it needs new injectors. Has a nice radio upgrade with touch, BT, nav and such, have maintained it well, over all its in good shape. It runs decent, will run out 1st and scratch 2nd nicely on a good day still, on nt555's, but other days feels tired and "reluctant".

So, I find myself now with $5k in my pocket and a Mustang that's pretty much just sitting. Checked into 03,04 Cobra prices, a bit outta my range even with trade in and cash, though I would love to be able to do that(I've tried begging), so I started kicking around idea's for the GT.. mostly track car? tork tech or turbo, or ?? I've got nothing to do on Friday nights, maybe new hobby going to the test and tune/midnight madness.

If you had an 03 GT, with 123k, no body issues, no major issues, maybe a slightly tired engine/trans and $5k what exactly would you do with it?

Sorry for the length, I appreciate you reading and offering an opinion, thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

If you've got the resources to fix the issues, go for it! My '03 GT has 176K on it and runs quite strong...it does need a new muffler though and I'll be addressing the suspension next year (just need to renew some bits and pieces) but other than that I love the car and am not going to let it go. It's had the luxury of not being my daily for a few years now fortunately. The love for it has been renewed too since it got painted earlier this year.

If you can swing fixing it up/modifying it, go for it. Make it a fun toy for yourself. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Just wondering what the goals are here regarding car ownership, use, and budget.

Let me explain. I'm a HUGE cheapskate. It's a hobby of mine to figure out ways to spend the least amount of $$ and still be able to drive a dependable car. My current daily driver is a 2000 Mustang GT with 237K miles. In it's current condition I honestly expect to get another 100k miles doing nothing more than brakes, tires, battery, and basic maintenance.

At over 300K I will have no problem simply walking away from my Mustang. It would have given me many years of service and would have been an outstanding value for the 5K investment.

However DD an older car the "issues" of working on your DD have to be addressed. After all you really can't have your DD in pieces in the garage for days (or weeks) waiting to be fixed. To that end I have made it my habit to have another cheap car just setting around just in case another family member (or myself) needs a ride for a few days (or weeks). My current "cheap car" is a 2007 Malibu that I bought for 1300 with a bad motor. It has come in handy more than once.

I have discussions all the time with my friends at work. How is it that people have no problems buying a new car with a 5-6 year $500 a month car note but somehow a $500 repair on your current ride is too much to spend on an old car. What's the logic in that?

So what is the "real" problem? Is it:
  • new car "envy"?
  • don't want to spend $$ repairing what is thought of as an "old" car?
  • don't really like working on cars?
I find sometimes making an honest list of a projects "goals" helps to put the most important things into focus.

Here's mine.
  • I love working on cars
  • I don't mind taking on sometimes difficult challenges. I have done several motor swaps.
  • I'm cheap. Blood sport cheap. I'm trying to maximize value add by doing my own work.
  • I hate redoing or wasting work. I prefer to spend more time researching or spend more $$ to ensure that a job is done right the first time. As a result I'm not afraid to spend $$ on special tools that are vital to getting some big jobs done with less effort.
  • I hate paying good $$ to someone else to work on my car. I will only do it for jobs where it makes sense.
  • I don't mind driving older cars. Cars that maybe don't look so good as long as they are reliable.
  • I want to learn how to do new things.
If you had an 03 GT, with 123k, no body issues, no major issues, maybe a slightly tired engine/trans and $5k what exactly would you do with it?
In a heartbeat, I would fix only the things on the Mustang needed to make it a reliable daily driver and then I would drive it. I see you live in Nevada. So you don't have to deal with rust and rot.

Put the left over $$ in the bank to save for the next car. Or buy another cheap car to drive when one of the other cars needs work. IMO spending money on many performance upgrades is really not wise money. Ford really has done a good job building a stock Mustang. It really is a good balance of reliability, performance, and serviceability.

Last edited:
Just wondering what the goals are here regarding car ownership, use, and budget.

Let me explain. I'm a HUGE cheapskate. It's a hobby of mine to figure out ways to spend the least amount of $$ and still be able to drive a dependable car. My current daily driver is a 2000 Mustang GT with 237K miles. In it's current condition I honestly expect to get another 100k miles doing nothing more than brakes, tires, battery, and basic maintenance.

At over 300K I will have no problem simply walking away from my Mustang. It would have given me many years of service and would have been an outstanding value for the 5K investment.

However DD an older car the "issues" of working on your DD have to be addressed. After all you really can't have your DD in pieces in the garage for days (or weeks) waiting to be fixed. To that end I have made it my habit to have another cheap car just setting around just in case another family member (or myself) needs a ride for a few days (or weeks). My current "cheap car" is a 2007 Malibu that I bought for 1300 with a bad motor. It has come in handy more than once.

I have discussions all the time with my friends at work. How is it that people have no problems buying a new car with a 5-6 year $500 a month car note but somehow a $500 repair on your current ride is too much to spend on an old car. What's the logic in that?

I do have a daily in a 1996 Dodge Ram 4x4 1500(196k), also have a 2001 Toyota Echo 5 spd(121k sons car, getting ready to put a clutch in it, he drives it maybe twice a week currently), the Mustang and now the SS for the Wife. I am a skilled mechanic, I did it for a living for a few years, did a stint at an AZ for 4 years and have a few ase certs. I have worked on all my vehicles/atv's etc over the years, from 1996 till now I have only brought a car in once and that was for some warranty work in 2010. I grew up in the back of an 85 GT with gears and some other mods, and always had the Mustang/car bug, when I got my own I said I'd never get rid of it, and always wanted to make it quicker, and "nicer" to drive.

Getting the SS for the Wife was kinda necessary, for her work she needed something nice and with 4 doors, luckily we found the SS and didn't go Audi S6/7 or some BMW.. with a big down the monthly is easy, and most likely paid off this March or April. This has freed up the Mustang since last June, I try to drive it at least a few miles once a week, sometimes drive it to work when I can. I sold my street bike just recently and that's where the $5k came from mostly.

So what is the "real" problem? Is it:
  • new car "envy"?
  • don't want to spend $$ repairing what is thought of as an "old" car?
  • don't really like working on cars?
  • I'm a little envious, for sure. I do get to drive it, I've taken it to C&C a couple times and other small trips. 4dr, under 4k lbs, rear drive, 50/50 balance, LS3 415hp/415tq, parks itself, among other "smart" things, paddle shift, Brembos, from AUS, and rare to see, sure I'm a little jealous lol. There is one thing the Mustang does better, its just a car, a real car, no elec. steering, or 5 modes to put the car in, or other BS.. just a real, solid axle, rwd, V8 coupe, "real car", and I love that.
  • I don't mind spending the money to repair whats needed on the Mustang, and that has been my plan, but I do question if it is really worth it to throw the $5k at it. Even though its something I always wanted to do, car is getting old, and a bit dated. If I go tork tech, used cobra sc, LT, gears, LCA etc etc, I think I would be happy, hate to be wrong on that though.. If it beat the Wife's car maybe it would be all worth it just for that lol.
  • I got spoiled working on lifts I think.. and after doing many repair/mod jobs in the driveway or garage when possible, I am getting a little burnt out working on cars, no lie, in the right conditions and not rushed(daily driver repairs), I do still enjoy it.
I appreciate your post wmburns, it did make me think about the situation more, after thinking about it, my list would look something like this:
  • Trade up with my cash to a 03/04 Cobra under 50-60k miles.
  • Take Mustang and cash and get something newer, faster with monthly payments (Wife says "No way Jose, not right now").
  • I really enjoy modding a car that has nothing wrong with it and enjoying driving it.
  • l can mostly install all my own parts, I will need to pay for gears and a tune session.
  • I have the tools, or the money to buy tools if needed.
  • Since owning the car I've wanted to make it faster, maybe even a mostly track car.
  • I have time to work on it now and not be in a hurry, it's not needed as a daily anymore.
  • I think I may wanna be that guy that keeps his Mustang forever, when done right, they still are badass to me, I sorta feel like 04 was the last year of the 85 I grew up riding in, still fox, but not.
  • I could hang on, save, and maybe get an 03/04 Cobra someday.
I have friends telling me to put the money into the SS, but that puts me back into the modding a daily driver(the Wife's) game again. Which could be done if she drives the Mustang when needed I guess. I have other friends(Mustang owners) who are telling me never get rid of the Mustang, and I should research a little more(again) put the $5k into it and take it to the track/enjoy it.

Thanks for reading, again any advice or opinions are very much appreciated.

Last edited:
How about saving up a little more and getting a Mach1, definite performance boost and if you decide to do forced induction later that SS can be spanked.