The truth about K&N air filters?

Tru_Blue_104

Nov 13, 2003
MN
A buddy of mine is going through an auto tech school out in chicago, and told me that a couple of instructors, in fact most of them, dont like K&N air filters. They say its because they are woven or something, i cant quite remember. Has anyone heard anything like this? I'm not looking for advice, just looking to find an alternative.

• Sponsors (?)

Tru_Blue_104 said:
A buddy of mine is going through an auto tech school out in chicago, and told me that a couple of instructors, in fact most of them, dont like K&N air filters. They say its because they are woven or something, i cant quite remember. Has anyone heard anything like this? I'm not looking for advice, just looking to find an alternative.

I think I need a little more input on why they don't like the K&N. :shrug:

I'm not one to go along with the crowd, but K&N does flow more than a stock filter could ever hope to do. AutoZone had a K&N filter test set up using the filter for something like my 93' LX ( none cone the stock replacement K&N for it), it was pretty cool when you put a stock filter on it this little ping pal ball NEVER moved. Now when you slaped on the K&N the ball would go so high they had to put a retaining screw to keep the ball from lunching out of its tube.

I think what they don't like is the fact that a DRY K&N filter has next to no filtration capability and particles just slip through the cotton. This is probably also the reason you see such a dramatic improvement when using a parts-store demonstration unit, because the filter is likely DRY and shows far greater airflow than real-life circumstances.

K&N filters, and any other such cotton filter or foam filters, MUST be oiled as regular maintenance. It is the oil and not the filter element that traps dirt. If you were running an all-out race engine, though, and didn't care how long the engine lasted, you could put a dry K&N in there. It will give you almost unrestricted airflow while keeping leaves/debris/small children out.

Your buddy's instructors should try reading the directions sometime.

Ray III said:
I think what they don't like is the fact that a DRY K&N filter has next to no filtration capability and particles just slip through the cotton. This is probably also the reason you see such a dramatic improvement when using a parts-store demonstration unit, because the filter is likely DRY and shows far greater airflow than real-life circumstances.

K&N filters, and any other such cotton filter or foam filters, MUST be oiled as regular maintenance. It is the oil and not the filter element that traps dirt. If you were running an all-out race engine, though, and didn't care how long the engine lasted, you could put a dry K&N in there. It will give you almost unrestricted airflow while keeping leaves/debris/small children out.

Your buddy's instructors should try reading the directions sometime.

This is true :nice:

I usualy clean mine once a week, except my 93' Its a PIA to get to.

I have a buddy who is a salesman for a Ford dealer, and a K&N filter voids the warranty on any new ford they sell. I use one, but I am not extra worried about it. IMHO any filter you can hold up to a light and see light through doesn't filter much, even with oil in it. But who bought a K&N because it filters better?

-TG

Pro-Hawk said:
This is true :nice:

I usualy clean mine once a week, except my 93' Its a PIA to get to.

They filter better as they get dirty (as it states in the directions). I've had mine for nearly 2 years and never cleaned it...

I should specify, he said that K&N's rob horsepower. I'm gonna talk to him again and get the details. Interesting none the less.

Hmm...that's funny because a few TF guys dyno'd their cars back to back and picked up 7-9hp at the rear wheels by just adding the k&n :flag:

Stinger

Stinger said:
They filter better as they get dirty (as it states in the directions). I've had mine for nearly 2 years and never cleaned it...

Hmm...that's funny because a few TF guys dyno'd their cars back to back and picked up 7-9hp at the rear wheels by just adding the k&n :flag:

Stinger

I clean my filers a little sooner than others because I live in West Texas. When you have dust storms on a bi-weekly bases you tend to try and keep stuff like a oil and air filter cleaned pretty often.

I really think someone is short a few cards of being a full deck that say a K&N robs power. :bs:

Every one Ive talked to said you can tell once you put a K&N cone filter on a 2.3T and that its just like Stinger said about the 7-9hp gain.

When you pull into a auto parts store and buy a K&N, walk out and put it into the same car you drove in and when you pull out of lot you go "Damm!" because the car feels like its running that much stronger, then its obvious that your making more power not less.

Im wondering how anyone who has used a K&N can say they lost power. My guess they are not speaking from experience. They are speaking from a misconceived notion that because it flows more air it has to be not filtering as well and that will kill the motor.

Does the instructor hate all oiled-cloth filters, or is it something personal with K&N?
Does he mention using a K&N in the stock air-intake vs using a K&N in a modified intake?
Is it the cone filter he hates, or any filter?

Truth is, oiled cloth does allow more airflow than paper. There are any number of reviews and tests which you can read about with a Google search. However, rarely is the airfilter the most restrictive part of the (stock) intake.

Frumious B. said:
Does the instructor hate all oiled-cloth filters, or is it something personal with K&N?
Does he mention using a K&N in the stock air-intake vs using a K&N in a modified intake?
Is it the cone filter he hates, or any filter?

Truth is, oiled cloth does allow more airflow than paper. There are any number of reviews and tests which you can read about with a Google search. However, rarely is the airfilter the most restrictive part of the (stock) intake.

here's couple of tests:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/
http://www.mitsubishi-fto.net/performance/intakes/

I didn't buy a K&N but I did buy a cheap cone from Autozone. It did add power, for sure. I could honestly care less if it doesn't filter as well.....it still filters. I have an auto 2.3 N/a. That equals slow. But before I put the filter on, I could slam on the gas and it was really lagging. After I put the filter on I could make the tires squeak with just slamming on the gas. Cone = Power. I figure if it was K&N it would probably provide more power than the cheap one I bought.

I thought the K&N filters were supposed to filter better than an average paper filter as well as flow better. :shrug: I would gladly give up what little bit of power you gain with a K&N if the paper filter works better at keeping crap out of the engine.

K@n does flow and filter better with Proper maintence. If you get gung-ho about oiling the thing, yes your motor will injest some...but not really a problem due to the fact that every motor already eats oil(vapor).

The problem with later model usage of K@N's is the sensitive mass air meters. Becuase there Diodes sit in the main air stream they can be coated with the filter oil and over time, give false/fuzzy readings and cuz need to replaced (read:dead...not cleanable).

If seen it first hand on a 200x ford truck, and heard the same thing from multiple mechanics locally and at the ford dealer.

mr_woodster said:
K@n does flow and filter better with Proper maintence. If you get gung-ho about oiling the thing, yes your motor will injest some...but not really a problem due to the fact that every motor already eats oil(vapor).

The problem with later model usage of K@N's is the sensitive mass air meters. Becuase there Diodes sit in the main air stream they can be coated with the filter oil and over time, give false/fuzzy readings and cuz need to replaced (read:dead...not cleanable).

If seen it first hand on a 200x ford truck, and heard the same thing from multiple mechanics locally and at the ford dealer.

AHHh I see, well that won't be a problem on my Speed Density GT then.