The ultimate SN95 5.0 exhaust thread

ctrout71

Feb 2, 2010
I have been having some difficulty in deciding what exhaust components to buy for my 95 GT. It seems that there may not be as many options for our cars. I was thinking that it may be nice if we had a master thread on all of the different exhaust combinations out there that will work with our cars. So what are you guys running, shorties with O/R X-pipe and Flowmaster 40s? Longtubes with catted H-pipe and Borlas? Please include as much info as possible, brand name, part numbers, stainless or aluminized, cats or not, etc. This way if someone (like me) is looking at a specific component, we can see what combinations it will work with. This thread would be completely awesome if everyone could also include a sound clip of your system (not one kind of like yours, but your actual car).

Please only 94-95 5.0s. No Fox's, no 4.6's. Thanks.

Ok, who's first?

• Sponsors (?)

I run bbk equal length headers,Mangna flow true x pipe stainless, then magna flow magna packs. The sound it amazing but if i did it over id go with long tubes and a shorty x but thats it. I will try and get a clip up soon. Just me saying this but stay away from flowmasters, WAY better exhaust systems out there.
P.S no cats O/R pipe

All of my exhaust setups have been put together...none were the bolt in type.

My experience with flowmaster is the aluminized version outlasted what seems to be a tank built spintech sportsman. And flowmaster offers stainless now...so unless you are a turbo application, flowmaster is a great option. They are the most popular for a reason!

What options do we not have as 94-95's? I can't think of anything 96-98s or foxes have that we don't.

I don't know about the other model years but the biggest void that I see is a lack of stainless steel longtubes. a catted Prochamber would be nice too. I think my ideal system would be stainless BBK longtubes, smog legal (if there was such a thing), catted Prochamber midpipe (if they made one), and stainless Mac, Borla, or Flowmaster cat-back. Either that or a 50 state legal full Bassani system with longtubes, X-pipe, and cat-back, all in stainless.

My point that was coming was that if it fits a fox...it can fit our car.

But really, stainless = $ = quality which does not equate to bbk in my book.

If you go custom, then you get anything you want. Your entire list is checked off. Sure it ain't cheap, but your wants demand the cost.

The biggest exhaust hurdle will be transmission/bellhousing. Accufab accounts for both fox and our style clutch fork locations.

Then on catback's it's mainly hanger location.

Keeping it strictly 94-95 limits you in a way that holds you back IMO. How many of our cars are strictly 94-95 factory spec? You'll run into more headaches of headers fitting "special port" exhaust port heads then the same heads on a fOx and 94-95. If that makes sense.

There are 10fold more foxes out there...that knowledge will dwarf ours. Then...say how can it fit our car.

I've got Mac 1-3/4 long tubes, cheapie ebay short x-pipe, and stainless Magnaflows / catback that was originally on an earlier Fox (maybe 85-86). Other than having to make two hanger rods for the tip/tailpipe ends it slid right in. The hangers I made were just scrap stainless rod bent like a straightened out Z. Like was mentioned, if it fit other Fox or SN chassis, it will most likely work out with a little effort. Everything but a catback for an irs car, of course.

Scott

I have MAC LT headers and short H-pipe with Flowmaster Force II cat-back. It is all SN-95 spec stuff but I ended up putting a 1/4 inch shim on the passenger side motor mount to tilt the engine slightly. The headers were on the K member on the passenger side and hitting the driver side floor board. The extra tilt got me a little clearance on each. My engine always sat a little funny in the car so I don't know if that is neccessarily the fault of the exhaust components.

Flow-tech unequal shorties, BBK catted X, and Flow Master American Thunder catback. I want to get a set of BBK headers or at least get my Flow techs coated. The headers and catback are from 1999 when I bought the car...holding up well at 12yrs old but I do need to think about replacing them.

I run Mac 1 5/8 LT's, Mac catted mid pipe, & OEM catback :)

The headers/mid pipe are 94-95 specific and fit like a glove

I won't get into sound as that is subjective
but
I will address performance for NA applications :D

Shorties won't give low/mid range torque like LT's :bang:

Shorties don't have a true collector :(
which is needed for the e pulse of one hole to be scavenged or pulled by another

Grady

blksn955.o,

Do you happen to have a sound clip of your car? Your set-up is very close to what I am considering and I'd like to hear it if I could.

I can get one but it will be at least a week. Its been sitting in the garage since Oct/Nov. I want to change the oil and get it inspected (plates expired when I put it up for the winter) but can take a quick sound clip when I start it up.

If there is one thing that our cars don't have many options for it certainly is NOT exhaust.

Another thing to consider is that most people seem to change their exhaust at least once maybe even two or three times. So don't go blow 800 bucks on a exhaust system for a 1995 Mustang. Been there done that.

Current setup: Turbo and a Dynomax bullet.

When talking NA

LT's can make a difference :)

The difference can be felt in the seat of the pants when driving

When you compare dyno charts between the two types of headers
you can see the low/mid range torque of those combos with LT's
almost always betters the shorties

It is not uncommon the see gains from 15 to 30 ft lbs :eek:

Again ... we are talking low to mid range
As you get to the top third of the curve the gain starts to diminish

Grady