theft light blinking and no crank

Chad21D

Feb 27, 2020
Michigan
i have a 2003 v6 mustang and my engine started knocking so i bought a parts car (2000 v6) and swapped the engine now the theft light blinks and car wont crank over i had a locksmith come out and he cut 2 new keys and still the same please help

• Sponsors (?)

If those are transponder (chipped) keys, the locksmith should have programmed them for you. If it is a problem with the anti theft, it will crank, start then promptly die.
So, when you try to start it, please deadcribe very specifically what it does and does not do.
Right now, I suspect an error in hooking up the wiring, but we need more info. Also, have you tried to read the ECU codes?

Sorry it’s been a min since the locksmith actually told me what was happening this is what he told me “I have been looking into it I even called one of my colleagues and our only conclusion is that you have an issue with your PCM and maybe it's not hooked up properly because it's kicking the keys out as soon as they are programmed in. So I'm really at a dead end on my side I mean the keys are cut rite and programmed properly and then your vehicle kicks them back out so I'm not sure what the next step would be”

I was told the pcm,ccrm,transceiver ,cluster,ignition and tumbler need to be swapped then have the system reflashed I have swapped all parts from the parts car to the car the engine is now in except the pcm I thought the ccrm was the pcm so tomorrow I will be changing that and getting the system reflashed.

I was talking to a Ford parts counter a few months ago about keys for my 98GT. He told me that the car actually has to be programmed to accept the key (rather than the other way around) as the keys apparently don't have programmable chips. Hence if you have a key that is cut right but has no chip, you'll never do better than the situation you're in. I don't know if any locksmiths are capable of doing the programming, you may need to take your car and your keys to a dealer.
I wish there was a way around it, but I can understand why if there is it isn't posted online as it would be essentially a set of how-to instructions for making it easier to steal our cars. While I'm not very concerned about anyone stealing my mustang, I suspect their may be people in other situations where that could be a problem.

Reactions: 1 user
I was having a PATS issue and my car wouldn't run. Sent in my pcm to a programmer and they disabled the PATS for like 80 bucks, also had them do a custom tune since the ecm was out. Now everything is all good. You can find them on the web and ebay selling the PATS delete.

I was having a PATS issue and my car wouldn't run. Sent in my pcm to a programmer and they disabled the PATS for like 80 bucks, also had them do a custom tune since the ecm was out. Now everything is all good. You can find them on the web and ebay selling the PATS delete.
Did this (immobilized delete, same thing)?with a New Beetle to avoid having to go across the state to a dealer who did not want to see a 20 year old car. It runs $50-100, and with a legit person, it is money well spent if you do not think your car will be hot wired.

Just want to be sure but you have changed out the battery in the key fob correct? My 2000 did this once. I tried everything to get the security to stop-had to disconnect battery. Walked to a dealership bought the battery for the fob and that was it. The instructions are online to resetting your fob. Hope all is well

It's a communications issue
Somethings unplugged?
Read the codes U and C codes in particular
Programmed a lot of keys with my NGS
Cannot do an 03
Call another locksmith
Mustangs are so particular even the dealer boys squirm when they have to program Mustang keys