Thermostat question

• Sponsors (?)

MarvinMyCat said:
I would say the difference is that one opens at 160* and the other at 180*. I don't see where a chip would come into play when the thermostat is a mechanical switch.

yes its mechanical but the car wont recognize it till u hit 192 degrees.

heres a discussion we had on it awhile back on another board.

also the open loop-> closed loop switch is set around 160.
with the 160 thermo you would be switching back and forth
during normal driving..not something u want to happen.
a chip can adjust this.

the 99+ at least u have to have the fan come on earlier then u would with the 192 setting since its a lower thermostat.

best bet have a manual fan switch it kicks azz so ive been told keeps temps down nicely

Blown3.8 said:
yes its mechanical but the car wont recognize it till u hit 192 degrees

Could you please explain what you mean by that?
it seems that your saying the car wont recognize the thermostat until 192 which doesnt make sense. A lower temp thermostat does work on a car without having to modify anything in the ecm. My car runs at least some 15 degrees colder in the summer with a 165 degree thermostat.

You don't want to use a 160*. 160 is right on the edge of (actually slightly lower than) what's required to enter closed-loop. You do NOT want to be driving around open-loop all the time.

Remember that lower temps does not equal better. Combustion is most complete, safest, and makes the most power with the coolant temp around 90*C (194*F). So stick to the stock thermo. 180* if you have a particular reason to.

DanM said:
You don't want to use a 160*. 160 is right on the edge of (actually slightly lower than) what's required to enter closed-loop. You do NOT want to be driving around open-loop all the time.

Remember that lower temps does not equal better. Combustion is most complete, safest, and makes the most power with the coolant temp around 90*C (194*F). So stick to the stock thermo. 180* if you have a particular reason to.
The car does not actually run at 160, its around 180 most of the time.

mustang95w said:
The car does not actually run at 160, its around 180 most of the time.
Not that high. With a 160* it'll probably bounce between about 160* and 170*. May dip even lower at times, down to 155* or something.

Ive actually seen it on the scanner on my own car, so im pretty sure of what im saying. Another thing is that in order for closed loop to be achieved you dont need a temperature reading. The car will go into closed loop as soon as the oxygen sensor is warmed up, the o2 sensor is the actual trigger for closed loop operation.