Thinking about a Ford 347 smallblock swap...

Barrier

May 11, 2005
I've got a '99 GT. I figure I dont want a supercharger, as my car's got some good miles on it and I'm afraid it might detonate... plus I'd be starting with 0 miles on a crate. And I can get a Turnkey 347 stroker smallblock for around $3600, question is would the install utterly kill me and want me to throw my car into the river? I'd think it'd be worth the money definitely (theyre talking 410-430 HP, 450 lb-ft torque) but I'd have to fab some custom mounts, possibly a tranny adapter plate (will definitely have to upgrade the tranny anyways) and do quite a bit of other work including the whole exhaust problem :p But I'm up for a challenge. Anyone done a swap into a newer Stang before? Looking for lurking problems or if I'm just an idiot all around :p

Thanks in advance :D

• Sponsors (?)

Barrier said:
I've got a '99 GT. I figure I dont want a supercharger, as my car's got some good miles on it and I'm afraid it might detonate... plus I'd be starting with 0 miles on a crate. And I can get a Turnkey 347 stroker smallblock for around $3600, question is would the install utterly kill me and want me to throw my car into the river? I'd think it'd be worth the money definitely (theyre talking 410-430 HP, 450 lb-ft torque) but I'd have to fab some custom mounts, possibly a tranny adapter plate (will definitely have to upgrade the tranny anyways) and do quite a bit of other work including the whole exhaust problem :p But I'm up for a challenge. Anyone done a swap into a newer Stang before? Looking for lurking problems or if I'm just an idiot all around :p

check the 4.6 5.0 conversion thread in the 4.6 tech area.

Even though the original platform had the 5.0 there must still be a lot of work, would you be EFI or carb. Either way lots of work as your current ECU runs lots of things from doorlocks & alarm to fueling. You can't just unplug it and hope everything else will work. You would need a whole new ECU setup if fuel injested anyway, so new loom, cooling, plumbing, fuel system may need changing not to mention all of the other mehanical items.

Plus you say about 410bhp from the new engine so with a 5 speed thats probably 350rwhp. With cam and head work I would have thought the 2v 4.6 could produce similar numbers.

I reckon it would make a nice car if done correclty, but it will cost a lot more than just the ticket price of the engine (count on double plus a bit) and at the end of the day may not be as good as it should. Plus the resale value of the car will plumet, by spending $5-6 in engine mods it would more than likely reduce the selling price of the car by a couple of thousand over a totally stock 4.6, crazy isn't it!

But how comfortable would you be buying such a modified one off car, not really knowing whats been done to it, but knowing when something goes wrong it will cost $$$$$$.

Wouldve been carbeurated, but yeah I see where youre coming from. I also looked into the 5.4L idea a while back but I couldnt find any! Anyone know of a place that sells em?

EDIT: BTW, thanks for that detailed input :p Mightve just saved me from a sinkhole

have to say a new GT with a classic push rodder is appealing.

I did a swap in my TR7 from a 2.0 4 cylinder to a Rover V8. Even though the car was designed from the outset for the V8 and the TR8 (American market only) had them it still required lots and lots of work and even more money. Its a real fun little car but still needs things doing to it.

The 4.6 mod engine may not be the best in the world but its really quite a good starting point.

5.4 not sure I think the Navi engine is the main one available.

Personally a supercharged 4.6 is the way to go, lots of power and big block grunt. You could probably rebuild your 4.6 add a blower and run about 450rwhp for less money than a 347 swap.

Meh, I'm still a bit reluctant on putting a blower on an 85k mile engine... I'd rather have a 0 mile engine than an 85k one with a blower on it wearing down the parts that much quicker...

Barrier said:

i am against the swap and here is why. for one it will be electircal hell too get it running. and the other reason is you will be disapointed with the results.

that motor at 415 hp is rated with no accesories, no emmisions. you will not see that kind of power too the ground. you will probally see around 300 to the ground.. NOT WORTH IT

MikeZ28 said:
i am against the swap and here is why. for one it will be electircal hell too get it running. and the other reason is you will be disapointed with the results.

that motor at 415 hp is rated with no accesories, no emmisions. you will not see that kind of power too the ground. you will probally see around 300 to the ground.. NOT WORTH IT
:stupid: You will spend faaaar too much money on that venture for the amount of power you'll get out of it. The way to go is either blower or bottle on a built bottom end... Thats just you're only option for real power. There just isn't an aftermarket for these 4.6's like there was for the beloved 302 :(

300bhp/ton said:
have to say a new GT with a classic push rodder is appealing.

I did a swap in my TR7 from a 2.0 4 cylinder to a Rover V8. Even though the car was designed from the outset for the V8 and the TR8 (American market only) had them it still required lots and lots of work and even more money. Its a real fun little car but still needs things doing to it.

The 4.6 mod engine may not be the best in the world but its really quite a good starting point.

5.4 not sure I think the Navi engine is the main one available.

Personally a supercharged 4.6 is the way to go, lots of power and big block grunt. You could probably rebuild your 4.6 add a blower and run about 450rwhp for less money than a 347 swap.

True, Ford gives us a pretty good starting point with the 4.6L 2Valve. A forged rebuild and a big blower is much more economical than an engine swap.

droptopponynj said:
...thats supposed to be @325-350rwhp. it should put a smile on your face.
:( And still only minor bolt-on LS1 power. Thats the only thing I miss about F-bodies...the power you get to start with. Too bad the rest of the car is junk after 50K miles.