Thinking about buying a Porter Cable polisher....

ScortLX

Founding Member
Mar 20, 2001
Parker, Colorado
I'm just afraid that I will screw up the paint. I have always done the car by hand, but lately with all the steps I do, it takes FOREVER. Plus, If the PC will do a better job, I'm up for trying it. I have the Mustang Roundup to go to in 13 days and was going to wax the car next week. I figured I would buy one if it would help. Any input is greatly appreciated! :nice:

If I get one, which model would be good? Do you know of any good packages with all the pads, etc I would need included? Its kinda confusing. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

It's an orbital buffer so it's really hard to ruin your paint. I did my gf's accord and I ran it at high speed with 3M rubbing compound over and over the same area trying to remove this stuff that's been burnt into the paint for over 3 years and it did a good job but did not harm the paint in any way. As long as you don't drop a foam pad in the dirt and then try to use it, I don't think you can hurt the paint with the PC.
As far as options, I got mine from autotopia and they have videos adn how to stuff. You can also search youtube for mequires videos of buffing and such. It does get confusing because there are so many products from so many companies available out there. If you go to autotopia you can just buy on of thier package deals and use it according to thier instructions or just get the PC and buy the mequires cleaner, polish, wax system.
Whatever you choose you basically just want to clean all old contaminates off. There is a lot of advice out there but I suggest using dawn dish detergent for your car wash, takes off old wax. Then use your PC and some brand of cleaner wax. Some people clay bar at this point but I'm lazy and I feel the PC gets all the stuff off your paint anyways. Then use your PC and a polish compound and finish it off with a wax. I like to use a carnuba wax and top it off with a synthetic wax. So that's the bascis and it can be done rather quickly and painlessly with a PC. The actual problem is that there are so many products out there to choose from. Good luck and post some pics when your done.

So you like yours? Or would you still do it by hand? I still have the three step system from Meguiars...so I would like to use that stuff up before I buy any new products. I can use that stuff still right? Do you think the results are better than by hand? Or is it just easier? Thanks for the help! :nice:

Porter Cable 7424 is the bad boy to get. I got mine from autogeek.net, along with a huge pad kit and several polishes/compounds/waxes. I also got the Pinnacle swirl removal kit. It will give some amazing results, if you are willing to put the time and effort into it!

I have the Porter Cable 7424, it is one of the best ones you can buy.

Video of how to use it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZVDsiEQ8-w

This is my list I put together that I will go by.

Use only 5.5 inch pads and a 5 inch Dual-Action Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate.

1. Swirl removal using Lake Country Orange Pad (use only if needed)
2. White polishing pad
3. Finishing Polish or apply wax with Lake Country Gray Pad
4. Remove Wax with Lake Country Lambswool pad covered with a Cobra Microfiber Bonnet.

Between each step first lightly mist the pads with Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad conditioner and use a Cobra Microfiber towel to remove polishes.

Clean, Polish, Wax with Meguiars Car Products

1. Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner or use ScratchX for extreme situations
2. Deep Crystal Polish
3. Nxt Generation Tech Wax 2.0 or Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax

One step process if lazy (clean, polish and wax)

Meguiars Cleaner Wax 6 $12.00 (use with Gray Finishing pad)

The Porter Cable is next to impossible to mis-use and/or ruin your paint.

If you really want to make an investment, I'd get a Flex DA polisher. It costs more (about double), but it has more torque/power than the Porter Cable, so you'll be able to get out those deep, stubborn scratches and still not worry.