thinking about changing mid pipes

Night Shifter

Dec 24, 2005
Daytona
i love the sound of my pro chamber but i think its a bit quiet for my tasting and i think its killing the sound of my cams..i can almost barely hear the lope and i figure thats due to the air having to go through the chambers then through mufflers.. i could be wron but it makes sense in my head..

what do you all think of pypes o/r h pipes? I used to have a mac o/r h and LOVED the way it sounded but i can get a pypes o/r h for $60. ive just never hear anything other than pypes x pipes.. not a big fan of any x either

i know i should go on youtube but would you guys go with mac or pypes..you think there will be any difference in sound?

• Sponsors (?)

mac and pypes are very closely related and to some extent, the same company. i got a pypes o/r x for my car and fitment was far from perfect. sorta horrible actually. the tricky part is the shouldered studs on the drivers side manifold. pypes reccommends taking the factory studs out and replacing them with specific studs ( cant remem the part # ). its a PITA. i still have a tick after doing all this ( i also used the adapter piece pypes reccommends which is included in the kit ). i can say that their customer service is better than average but i still have a leak :notnice:

not sure about their H pipes but i would leary it may have the same issues as the X.

MAILING ADDRESS:
Pypes Performance Exhaust
2705 Clemens Road
Building 105A
Hatfield, PA 19440

MAC Products, Inc.
43214 Blackdeer Loop
Temecula, Ca. 92590-3473 U.S.A.

They are not the same company.

I don't really see how a H pipe can sound different. With an X pipe they can play with the position of the X and also the type of X thats in it. With an H pipe its just a cross over in the mid pipe. I haven't seen any with different positions either. Towards the back of the pipe.

i didnt think there would be a major difference in the sound of an h...ive just never heard a pypes h before..the ones i found on youtube are all on 05 and up cars... kinda dont want to buy this then get stuck with it if i dont like it ya know...maybe someone on here will have a clip of one on a 96-04 :shrug:

damn i rally dont want any fitment issues either

I just have to say...for $60 can you really go wrong? I doubt their will be any sound difference in any o/r H. For $60 if you dont like it your only out $60 and I am sure you could sell it and get your money back.

Seeing as you have the same cams as me I can make a few suggestions. I have a VRS Catted X with the magnaflow magnapack catback and get that nice lope at idle. What is your idle set at? I played around with the idle speeds and found I liked 850rpm the best.

im at 850 as well...i truly truly dont like the sound of x's and i honestly dont like magnaflow :hide:

its just weird that i can barely hear the lope..on my build thread i have vids of what it sounded like the day after everything was put together...not sure if you heard what it sounded like

not knockng your setup scup, i actually like what your car sounds like and i know x's go very well with magnaflows but its just not my style i guess

im at 850 as well...i truly truly dont like the sound of x's and i honestly dont like magnaflow :hide:

its just weird that i can barely hear the lope..on my build thread i have vids of what it sounded like the day after everything was put together...not sure if you heard what it sounded like

not knockng your setup scup, i actually like what your car sounds like and i know x's go very well with magnaflows but its just not my style i guess

Everyone has there own tasts of what they like. I know you are not a fan of magnaflows but here is a comparison off my car.

First video is right after the cams where installed and before the dyno tune.
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/scupking/?action=view&current=Mustangcams.flv

Second video is with Hitech stage II cams, stock headers, MRT catted H and magnapacks.
2009 :: MustangDyno.flv video by scupking - Photobucket

Third video is with Hitech stage II cams, MAC LTs, VRS catted X and magnapacks.
2009 :: Mustang293RWHP.flv video by scupking - Photobucket