Thinking about cleaning my engine out, anyone hear of this?

Blackone51

Oct 30, 2008
I found this in another forum, is this safe to do or anyone try this?

here is a trick i have used for years and it has worked every time....

get about 1/2 quart of desil fuel and pour it into your oil,drive around for a few ours or a day or two right befor an oil change, make sure u drive in a gear lower then u uausaly do(if its a 5 speed) to keep the rpm's up to keep your oil pressure up.the heat of your engine plus the desil fuel breaks all the sludge that are blocking and clogging all your oil ports and the desil is oil based so its safe on bearings and internal parts it wont dry it out. then change your oil and all that nasty stuff will come out with it. i also reccommend changind your oil filter about half way through your next oil change to catch any debris that is still in there.

there is a product at your autoparts store for like 6 dollars but IMO the desil works better and it only cost about .50 cents...

it was funny i did it in my VW and i drove up to the pump poped my hood and put the desil nozzle right in the oil fill hole everyone at the gas station was like ate you crazy lol..

• Sponsors (?)

I have a second so ill give you a break down
This is how I do it:
Remove old filter, thus draining about 10% of the oil.
Replace with new cheapy filter.
Pour engine flush into engine , careful not to overfill and topup if needed.
(be sure to start car to fill new filter before you do this)
Idle 15-20 minutes (do not drive)
Remove cheapy filter, dipstick and oil cap
Drain nasty oil
Replace with Amsoil oil and Amsoil filter

No, it's not overkill, it has a proper detergent in it so it won't harm anything if not "needed". I see alot of extended drain intervals, and deal with a ton of race applications..these especially are good candidates for a flush...but hey, that isn't to say regular stop and go driving in traffic, in the city or dusty country isn't as bad..some of the worst oil samples I've taken we're from daily drivers with regular intervals.

It's inexpensive and affective.

According to Mobil 1's site, there oil has enough detergents in it already that you shouldn't need a flush. They also state that a flush could loosen things in the engine to cause bearing and piston ring problems. So a quality oil and regular oil changes should be enough. There oil holds trash among other things in suspension until an oil change is due. Might be overkill. At the most I would put half a can of Sea foam in the engine for 200-300 miles of heavy stop and go driving, then change the oil. There might be some weight to your post b/c I've heard of the old school cats putting Automatic transmission fluid in the engine and gas tank before an oil change.

Never trusted any of that stuff. I use Mobil 1 and change it every 3500 miles. Still fairly gold when it comes out and I am sure I could run it longer but I love my car and its cheap. Car has 100K on it now and dont leak a drop and looking down the oil fill hole I can see my head is very clean inside. In a couple weeks I am swapping the valve covers so I will get to really inspect it.

My 96 Cobra spent its whole life only getting Mobil1 or Valvoline full synthetic and at 120K I removed its valve cover and its heads were perfectly clean with NO sludge or discoloring from cooked on oil. :nice:

According to Mobil 1's site, there oil has enough detergents in it already that you shouldn't need a flush. They also state that a flush could loosen things in the engine to cause bearing and piston ring problems. So a quality oil and regular oil changes should be enough.

Yes, good quality oil and regular changes is usually enough, but let's face it...only nuts like us pay attention.

I would say 70% of my "daily driving" customers are over...and 30% of those...WAY overdue. A good flush really helps in these cases.

I also find it helps for cars switching to a synthetic (a real synthetic). Vehicles running a synthetic for the first time, at times can use a bit of oil in the first change. The detergents in the oil really get in there and clean, and it gets filtered away with the crap. Flushing before minimizes this I find.

Using anything other than an approved flush can easily break down viscosity and do more harm than good.

This could easily turn into a "my method is best/this oil sucks/you should use"...etc thread...

I'm just stating from my exp...I do this everyday...it's my job..synthetics and testing, oil changes and monitoring...flushes and treatments..

Anyhow, I will never push something on anyone...because simply..3-5k oil changes work...but so do 15k-20k changes with treatment.

The diesel trick is really old school from the 60's or 70's before they even
had synthetic and high quality detergent oil. If I allowed sludge to build
up, and I dont, I would use seafoam. I dont even want diesel residue in my engine.