Thinking about switching to carb setup<<NEED ADVICE!!

riz91302

Founding Member
Sep 1, 2001
Michigan
Im thinking of switching my efi setup to carb and want to know the pros and cons of carb,, also the only think i have done to my motor is a fms "f" cam,, will i see a difference going to carb and what intake and carb should i use for the mods i have done right now,, i want to do it this weekend so i need some quick answers and i know you guys can do it,,
thanks alot
Rob

• Sponsors (?)

I converted my stang to carb using a holley 600 and a Edelbrock performer intake. I also installed a new fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator (set at 8 psi). I don't have any numbers to give, but there is no real noticeable performance difference. Acording to a test done in MM&FF the carb produced slightly more power (only a few) but had slightly less torque than the F.I. And the carb will drink more gas. I hope this helps. GOOD LUCK.

i did the conversion, well i got the chassis already converted. all i did was do the ignition conversion and drop in my motor. you are going to have to drop the fuel tank and bypass the efi pump. i was told you could just run a hose above the pump inside and straight into the fuel. put a bigger fuel line to the engine compartment, mine has a 1/2 inch line which is huge, you don't need one this big but mine was there already. i have a 60 dollar high volume fuel pump that is between the tank and the rear bumper. mount it as close to the tank as you can and try to keep it lower than the fuel level. i use a 1406 edelbrock 600 cfm carb and a weiend street performer intake. it works very nice but my carb calls for a fuel regulator which i have not bought yet.it would be best to get an adjustable regulator that has a return on it. but you could also just get a deadhead regulator with no return. i need to get one and set it at 5.5. that is were edelbrock says to set it, and i know i need one bad. last but definately not least is the ignition. you are going to have to convert it either to duraspark, which requires the dizzy from an 85 mustang if you have a roller cam, and also the harness and module. you have to wire all of this up and i don't recomend that. i did the HEI conversion which is very easy and gives a very crisp and fast startup. all you need is a gm 4 pin HEI module, some wire, and that 85 mustang duraspark dizzy. it took 30 minutes to get it wired up and cranked and 30 more to mount it since i mounted inside the cab under the dash. also you can use the tfi coil which your car has already. on the duraspark you would have to use the old style coil which puts out less power than your tfi coil. i have all the info that you need to do the ignition so if you want it then PM me or email me.

but i have an edelbrock though and the manual said to set it there, but i heard a holley can handle a little more pressure, try to set it at 6 and see what it does