Thinking Of Ditching The Cobra Stuff.

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
stl
ok, up late, can’t sleep. Workimh out some of my plans to get this car done, I find myself wishing I waited for something that wasn’t modded. Wishing I didn’t get the cobra spoiler and rear bumper. Wondering if I should trade them for stock gt Parts.

So here’s the discussion, what do you find more appealing , a fully modded car, a lightly and tastefully modded car, or a close to stock and clean car? And why!

• Sponsors (?)

Think it all just depends.
I’d love to have a fast-competitive track car. A blown high Hp street car, a 10 out of 10 show car with flawless paint and body/interior. All of those things would more than likely keep me from driving it, so I guess I would fall into the ‘lightly/tastefully modded’ category. Some nice body upgrades-nice paint-bolt on’s-clean interior-rims etc.

I prefer lightly and tastefully modded car, or pure stock.
Having said that, you need to decide for yourself. Until you know what you want, building something based on a "pole" is not likely to bring you satisfaction.
I'm sure if I did a pole, and built from that, I'd have a lowered, tinted, turbo'd car on 18's with a road race suspension/brakes and aftermarket seats/gauges...
And while it would be a big hit in popularity, it would not be what I want.
I have a 100% stock appearing car, the motor is my vision of what Ford could have done had they optimized the little iron headed 302.
Most people don't get it, and that's ok.

Mehhh.....I don't know..a "poll" soliciting an opinion is an important step towards reaffirming your own individual choice. I've asked the group here numerous times for an opinion, and ...( when I'm not asking about mufflers, cams, paint color, and wheels :rolleyes:) have ultimately made my choice with or without the popular vote.

You gotta be you. I personally would get bored with an all stock restoration, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the ones that other people do. At the very least, these cars only need wheels to look good, and that's about it. A clean stock car with great wheels doesn't look any different than a mega-modded version of the same.
A car left alone and kept up just starts and drives like its supposed to, when it's supposed to.

The modded version gets put back in the garage numerous times while it goes through its next transformation to feed the never ending addiction of the need for speed.

Reactions: 1 users
Not really looking for a pole as much as a conversation. As it stands, I’m leaning towards staying with what I have for now. It just got me thinking last night about it. For me, the main thing is it being done well. As it stands it’ll be a mostly stock car, focusing on being as clean and well done as I can with a cobra bumper and wing and probably fr500 wheels... but a small part of me wants it to be all stock with nothing but a cowl hood and 95 tri bar wheels.

My opinion won't count for much because I drive a stang with a dented hood, I actually put a dented hood on it on purpose because a nice hood just didn't look right, faded paint with different colored, rattle can sploches that covered the suface rust that develops on a car that sits baking in the sunshine state. The interior is comfy stock, it drives well and runs good. I did have a 92 vert that was all painted up purdy but was stock as a stove. Both served their purpose, the vert when we went out to dinner or a cruze up the coast with the top down and the beater when I felt aggressive. Pick your posion.
Look at it from a distance, change what don't look right, drive it, same thing, change stuff to satisfy how you want to 'feel' it drive. No right or wrong here, well maybe 20's with rubber bands for tires,

I loves me some FR500's. There's nothing wrong with fixing weaknesses from the factory and the cobra wing/ bumper will probably look better.

As it stands, I’m gonna keep on with where I’m heading with the car. At this point I’d be making more work for myself. I need a bigger garage so I can get more cars... that’ll fix the problem

Reactions: 3 users
I'm sure if I did a pole, and built from that, I'd have a lowered, tinted, turbo'd car on 18's with a road race suspension/brakes and aftermarket seats/gauges...
Now that sounds perfect! Do that! lol

Stock was awesome when I was first exposed to the fox. I wouldn't like a stock fox now, though. I don't know what you consider lightly modded, but a H/C/I + suspension + brakes car would be as close as I think I'd be happy with, now. I think that would be an awesome DD.

Last edited:
Multiple cars is the way I went. First was a 2000 Camaro SS T tops all stock, nice handling pretty fast car. Got started doing road course track days, didn't want to trash it, got the 88 LX. Solid car, not pretty, clear coat peeling off, dents and scratches, did the mods to engine and chassis to make decent track car. Decided wanted to wtw race, got a Spec Miata, can't mod it do to rules but keep busy just to keep it going. Mustang is now my mostly summer DD, have fun with it. I tend to drive a bit aggressively. Nice to not have to worry about getting any parking lot dents or scratches on it.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd leave it.
Cobra parts look natural on a GT.
Just don't add cobra badges and if you have them, remove them.

I really dislike the GT rear bumper, I feel like it's a must that you at least get a glimpse of the tailpipes.

Reactions: 2 users
For me...stock sucks. Boring and not fast.

For me here are my ideals @90lxcoupe @TOOLOW91 @mikestang63
I appreciate that bud . It is fun but as you know requires maintenance . Either way with the way I use my car and how hard I always run it . I have had pretty good luck All things considered. With that said . Boost all things !

I'm not a big Gan of cars that try to be cars that they aren't. Clones are not appealing to me.

My opinion is that a car should reflect who the owner is. My car is old, dinged up, and faded. Its also updated, comfortable, and powerful.....just like me.

Mine is stockish on the outside with cobra replicas. It's lowered and has coil overs I think these are a must...
It's fast as he'll I like to do crazy engine mods that no one else has.
Interior is custom as well but just the little things.. door panels are slightly different and custom hidden sub box in the rear seat delete.

Reactions: 1 user
If it helps any, I recently saw a street race car at a car show where the owner vinyl wrapped different panels in different colors to make it look like the car was a junkyard throw together. Different strokes for different folks.

Kurt

I'd leave it.
Cobra parts look natural on a GT.
Just don't add cobra badges and if you have them, remove them.

I really dislike the GT rear bumper, I feel like it's a must that you at least get a glimpse of the tailpipes.

I loved the look of those tails on an LX with a slight upward rake. Too bad that all of my suspension and minitub made dumps necessary. Now, I think a rear GT or Cobra Bumper might be the way to go.

I would have to have multiple cars to satisfy all my tastes, as they change every day. A clean, stock GT does grab my attention, because rarely have they been left alone. However, I bought a somewhat clean stock GT, and couldnt just restore it like I thought I would. That being said, I had made my 2011 GT into a Watts linked corner carver, but felt every bump in the road. Decided I wasnt all for that either. So here I am also trying decide what suspension to put under my car now that I have the "look" decided (note not finished, just decided).