Thinking of several power options...Questions.. Please Help!?

Pokageek

Jun 10, 2005
MA, USA
With the mods in my sig:

#1 Go with nitrous. Would I have to go with bigger injectors or fuel pump for say a 75hp shot? What is the least cost but good alternative?

#2 Go supercharger. I don't want over 4.5lbs boost really to take the safe route. Go powerdyne? Can you go that low? Also, can you use the 86-93 blower on a 94/95?

#3 If I go with a new bottom end, 331 or 347? I almost don't want to go that route all over again but just curious. Thanks in advance..

• Sponsors (?)

I dont think the cost of a supercharger will reap the benefits with only 4.5lbs....by the way...."safe" comes with a good tune.

I'd vote nitrous out of those three....i'd get a bigger pump and i THINK u'd be ok on the injectors. Although im not positive.

I disagree.

What size fuel pump do you have?

You will not need bigger injectors with any of the modern dry kits provided that you have a high flow fuel pump...you should be running a 255.

When you're spraying, the nitrous kit will bump your fuel pressure to provide the extra fuel needed.

My Zex kit works in this way and works well.

I vote for nitrous. Even a 75 shot will really move that car.

Well, I think I am going with the nitrous. And dry nitrous from ZEX. Then I will upgrade my fuel pump. But first I will have to upgrade the trans. I think I can do it for $650 and a nice job at that. But b4 all that I am getting a tune at kaufmans!

what do you need done to the tranny?

and why don't you get the tune after you get the nitrous. that way it will be tuned for the nitrous. you could get a flip switch and get a chip that holds two tunes(one for nitrous and one without)

on the stock fuel pump you will be good until over a 125 shot. The inj. "should" be ok, but if you have a realy helthy N/A setup that needs fuel you may be under inj. N/A with the stock 19's and that will be even more so with n2o.

A new bigger fuel pump is not a needed at the 75-125 level. However, its not going to hurt anything.

I would vote n2o, with 4.5lbs of boost you realy wont see the benifit of boost from the charger for the outlay of money. Run the window switch, an msd box/ign., FP shutoff switch and remember to take out 2* of timing for every 50hp...spray away.

My trans is whining alot and gets mad at me if I hit the gears too hard or revv out a lot. I know it is only a matter of time on that. The tune needs to be done because it well...it just wasn't done right and the car could run, idle better and is probably leaving like 20-30 hp on the table as a result.

As to the injectors and stuff, I already have 24#'rs (see sig).

My trans is whining alot and gets mad at me if I hit the gears too hard or revv out a lot. I know it is only a matter of time on that.

Yeah, it WILL go bang bang boom if you spray on it...nitrous makes about twice the torque as the shot size (ie, 200lb/ft of torque from a 100 shot). Torque is what kills transmissions.

And yeah, you'll definitely want to upgrade your fuel pump. I wouldn't spray more than a 75 shot on a stock motor with a stock fuel pump. For just over $100, think of it as great insurance...