This is a must know!!! HpRanch

fiveohwblow

Official Member
Jul 21, 2005
Guys I have had the privelage of having John at the Horsepower Ranch tune my vehicle last night. I feel it necessary when an enthusiast finds an absolutely classy organization and individual to share such said experiences. This is not to say others do not exist in the NW area, but of my experiences so far he is BY FAR the best. Not to mention, best driveability and the most exciting thing of all... BEST #'s thus far!

First off when I called he was the absolutely most flexible on schedule, working around his other source of income to make the magic happen. I live in Portland and his shop is outside of Seattle. That means alot.

I showed up early with my buddy (bayboss) and we met up with an amazingly cool fellow stangnetter (Wanna_be_gt). Johns wife came out and made us all cheesburgers since we were early and were waiting for dyno time.

John asked me the important questions necessary, strapped the car in and actually asked if I wanted to drive. NEVER has that been offered to me before.

John asked what my initial timing was, and just to validate my tdc 10 degree setting he checked HIMSELF.

John hooked up a line to my AFPR to also check boost levels, again, NEVER before done in the past.

When John SHOWED ME what was going on, again never done before, he noticed my belt was slipping at the 10lb mark. HE tightened the belt and HE added another vortech bolt that was missing. World class folks.

Best of all, he had me go drive it around the block to make sure real world was accurate with the dyno to ensure driveability. I just couldnt have asked for a better experience and could easily say I would have traveled further just to experience this. Not to mention the drive home was much more fun with another 50hp on tap!!:D :D :nice:

I would seriously consider him if you were getting any variant of Mustang tuned as he obviously knows his stuff!!!:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Oh man, we're never going to hear the end of this! :rolleyes:

Glad you had a good experience. Just make sure you don't post this on SVTPerformance or you'll get blasted by Lightning Larry. :rlaugh:

No idea who lightning larry is, but I am sure if he disagrees then we disagree:)

Yeah Corey is a pretty cool guy, stuck around just to hang out and enjoyed a good time!

That sounded like a lot of fun. So how much did she put down?

The world may never know...:D Nah just playin. She put down 417 rwhp and 403rwtq on a conservative tune with 13 lbs of boost.:nice:

Somebody posted in the NW forum on SVTP asking about local tuners and John was highly recommended. The the boys from a mail order tuner that is an "Authorized Vendor" on SVTP started talking themselves up. I and a few others took umbrage to guys from the east coast butting in on a NW discussion and Lightning Larry (a mod there) got all bent out of shape, deleted all of our posts and scolded us severely. Kinda spoiled me on wanting to post there much anymore.

Somebody posted in the NW forum on SVTP asking about local tuners and John was highly recommended. The the boys from a mail order tuner that is an "Authorized Vendor" on SVTP started talking themselves up. I and a few others took umbrage to guys from the east coast butting in on a NW discussion and Lightning Larry (a mod there) got all bent out of shape, deleted all of our posts and scolded us severely. Kinda spoiled me on wanting to post there much.

Actually when I was doing my homework (Google search) I found that thread and read it all. I know exactly what your talking about. The whole thing about being a site sponsor. Saw their attempts to bash Stangnet as well.. Whatevs.

No idea who lightning larry is, but I am sure if he disagrees then we disagree:)

Yeah Corey is a pretty cool guy, stuck around just to hang out and enjoyed a good time!

The world may never know...:D Nah just playin. She put down 417 rwhp and 403rwtq on a conservative tune with 13 lbs of boost.:nice:

HOLY S*** bag...Thats pretty decent for the setup you have if I remember correctly. Let me know when you hit up PIR (if you go this year), I want to see that thing tear up the track :hail2:

WOW!!!!! Thats really impresive. Those #'s are very strong for a stock block 302.
And, it sounds like John, enjoys what he does and, likes to make sure his customers, understand what they are getting from his service.
Great info to have. Thanks, Roger

WOW!!!!! Thats really impresive. Those #'s are very strong for a stock block 302.
And, it sounds like John, enjoys what he does and, likes to make sure his customers, understand what they are getting from his service.
Great info to have. Thanks, Roger

Thanks! I was overly impressed with what I got and knowing that was simulated with load on a mustang dyno and there was more we could have gotten I was more than satisfied.

As for John and Horsepower Ranch, it just doesnt get any better. :flag:

Thanks for posting that experience Justin, I may have to check them out sometime.
Absolutely, I would recommend him any day to anyone.

HOLY S*** bag...Thats pretty decent for the setup you have if I remember correctly. Let me know when you hit up PIR (if you go this year), I want to see that thing tear up the track
For sure! I am hoping the rest of my drivetrain will hold up! :eek:

Oh man, we're never going to hear the end of this! :rolleyes:

Glad you had a good experience. Just make sure you don't post this on SVTPerformance or you'll get blasted by Lightning Larry. :rlaugh:

I am a super cool stangnetter:D It was nice to meet up with you guys. I got those Bassani cats mounted up today and my car is considerably more tame sounding now:nice: John is a complete rockstar when it comes to what he does. That 5.0 pulled some serious power on a stock block. She is definitely pushing her physical limits, but the tune was very impressive.

Nice to meet everyone! I can't wait to have John tune my car soon as well:nice:

Just out of curiosity, what do you have besides the 13 PSI?

Thanks-

Trick flow heads, port matched cobra intake, Ed Curtis custom Cam, 1 5/8 unequal length headers, bassani x, magnaflow CB, MSD ignition, 42 lb injectors, Walbro 255 lph fuel pump, AFM powerpipe, 80mm C&L mass air, 70 mm Mac throttle body and the list goes on and on and on but nothing substantial from there that would differentiate power levels too much...

I am a super cool stangnetter:D It was nice to meet up with you guys. I got those Bassani cats mounted up today and my car is considerably more tame sounding now:nice: John is a complete rockstar when it comes to what he does. That 5.0 pulled some serious power on a stock block. She is definitely pushing her physical limits, but the tune was very impressive.

Nice to meet everyone! I can't wait to have John tune my car soon as well:nice:

We enjoyed meeting up with you as well and, now more than ever, I am looking forward to meeting up on one of your cruises.:) You were quick to put the cats on!

I was amazed at how quickly he started from scratch and finished. Fastest I have ever seen. The fitty did pull some real numbers on the rollers, now for the track...:D

Nice write up & numbers, congrats
Thanks! I just felt it was necessary to share my good experience:nice:

Hmm. When me and a couple other friends were there one friend got a "500HP Club shirt", and we got just regular "Horsepower Ranch" t-shirts for free. That was almost a year ago so he probably has alot more business now.

Probably some truth to that. I have no doubt his business will just continue to pick up exponentially if he keeps operating like this.

Congrats!!!!! And nice numbers! Glad to hear you liked using John, he's definitely a great guy. He allowed people to tune with his help in between runs during our dyno day a few months ago. My car was leaning out about 4500rpm, he went in fixed it, now pefect A/F, and picked up some more power.

Corey? Cats? Na. Cant' be.

I haven't posted on the SVTP local forum since the whole LL issue, kinda ticked me off also....of well I dont own a SVT anyways.