This is why I hate Consumer Reports

'66 coupe

Founding Member
Aug 7, 2000
Lakeland, Fl.
http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx?contentid=4023544&src=LP%20Passenger

They key is that the scoring is based on reports from Consumer Reports subscriber. I work in retail and I can tell you that everyone that uses Consumer Reports are all the same. They're usually middle-aged people that know very little about the actual products and gather ALL of their information from CR.
You know the type. People that swear up and down that Toyota Camrys are THE best cars ever made, but they can never explain exactly why. Instead they just point to what all their peers say on Consumer Reports.

What I want to know is Where the hell is the Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis on the "most reliable" list. Hundreds of Law enforcement departments can't be wrong. I know several older people that put 300k on one Mercury and go and buy another one for their next car. But I guess their opinions don't count cause they don't use the internet?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

did you see the least reliable list? Tell me if that's not rediculous... A BMW that's not reliable??? A Mercedes-Benz that's not reliable??? Who made this list was obviously not all there in their state of mind. Either that or they must be a japanese idiot that thinks all american and european cars suck and japanese cars are the best. There's only two american vehicles in the most reliable and only six japanese cars in the not reliable cars... crapola :bs: :uzi: :flame: :chair:

I totally agree that most people are just brain-washed into believing that imports are SOOO much superior to domestics in quality, but in CR's defense, last year they said that the '04 Mustang was THE MOST RELIABLE AMERICAN CAR.

In addition to that, the average problems per 100 cars were:

Asian: 12
American: 17
European: 21

Mustang: 5

Therefore, the Mustang was over TWICE as reliable as the average Asian car, 3 times more reliable than the average American car, and 4 times more reliable than the average Euro car.

I certainly think that some of their ratings are crap (the crappiest, most unreliable car I've owned recently was an Acura TL... it was a total peice of crap), but they aren't ALL bad :)

5-SpeedStallion said:
I totally agree that most people are just brain-washed into believing that imports are SOOO much superior to domestics in quality, but in CR's defense, last year they said that the '04 Mustang was THE MOST RELIABLE AMERICAN CAR.

In addition to that, the average problems per 100 cars were:

Asian: 12
American: 17
European: 21

Mustang: 5

Therefore, the Mustang was over TWICE as reliable as the average Asian car, 3 times more reliable than the average American car, and 4 times more reliable than the average Euro car.

I certainly think that some of their ratings are crap (the crappiest, most unreliable car I've owned recently was an Acura TL... it was a total peice of crap), but they aren't ALL bad :)

Holy sh1t! what's up man, it's Jesse!

5-SpeedStallion said:
Haha, hey, Jesse. Haven't talked to you in a while, huh? :D

I've been stupidly busy with school, my car, my new car....... speaking of new cars, Nice Mach 1 :nice:

So, whatcha been up to?

I've been working, ALOT! What's the new car, the bullit?

you ever get those cams & heads on, lol?

OxMox said:
I've been working, ALOT! What's the new car, the bullit?

you ever get those cams & heads on, lol?

Well, working is good for buying new Mustangs, so that's good :D

And actually, the new car is in my sig... '93 Notchback 2.3L that runs great that I picked up for $500. The suspension/brakes/rear-end/etc will be slowly overhauled and when that's done, I'll drop in a 347 of some sort...

Oh, and nope, the V6 isn't done yet. I've been too busy with school and stuff to finish it up. Because the heads were milled, I need to get the lower intake milled, and I just haven't been able to do that yet and get it all back together. So, it's been "almost done" for a while now :D

Anyway, you planning on taking the Mach down to Bradenton anytime soon? I'll definately be going a few times this winter. We should figure something out and extend it to anybody else on here that wants to meet up. Maybe post it up on the regional forums here, 3.8, Corral, etc. as well. That'd be cool.

5-SpeedStallion said:
Well, working is good for buying new Mustangs, so that's good :D

And actually, the new car is in my sig... '93 Notchback 2.3L that runs great that I picked up for $500. The suspension/brakes/rear-end/etc will be slowly overhauled and when that's done, I'll drop in a 347 of some sort...

Oh, and nope, the V6 isn't done yet. I've been too busy with school and stuff to finish it up. Because the heads were milled, I need to get the lower intake milled, and I just haven't been able to do that yet and get it all back together. So, it's been "almost done" for a while now :D

Anyway, you planning on taking the Mach down to Bradenton anytime soon? I'll definately be going a few times this winter. We should figure something out and extend it to anybody else on here that wants to meet up. Maybe post it up on the regional forums here, 3.8, Corral, etc. as well. That'd be cool.

'93 Notch sounds good! should be badass with the 347 or even a 5.0 cammer:nice: I can't believe you're not done with the V6 yet! i've had mine built, and sold already lol! But, yeah i'll be heading down to BMP this winter a few times. I need to get some better rubber on the mach cause right now i've got next to nothing as far as traction! You should check out www.thestanggang.com it's a local club, it used to be tampa bay mustangs but like 80% of the members left, and the 3 main officers of TBM formed the stang gang. It's cool. lots of great people and they'd be willing to head out to BMP. We're actually sponsoring the NMRA series when they show up in March, so that should be cool! Check it out, i'm Captain_Spaulding on there and a few people from here are on there aswell, Zincyellow, TMX, Andy... etc. so, i'll post it up on there shortly and see if anyone wants to head out.