This just in.... Evan Smith runs a 12.25 @ 117.18

RICKS said:
Huh??

Since when were the factories expected to mass-produce performance cars that are faster than tuner-built cars, yet still pass strict emission standards, be durable enough to be able to cover them with a good warranty even though lead-footed idiots will be buying them, have longevity that will allow them to easily crest 150,000 miles without a rebuild, be docile enough that they can perform at sea level or 12,000 feet above, in 110 degree weather or zero degrees, on lousy 93 octane pump gas..

Yet they have to do that, and you want them to be faster than some tuner-shop's 6-banger drag car that could never dream of being daily driven for 10-years-straight?

When Ford came out with the '93 Cobra, me and all my buddies had 11 second 5.0's that we built in our garages.

There's no comparison between what you can build, and what a manufacturer who is selling new cars can build. No comparison. Tuner-built cars don't pass any of the criteria that Ford engineers have to meet.

That's what I thought too - until the 03 Cobra came out. Factory car, as fast as most tuner cars (faster in many cases) and very strong engine, comparably. Think about it - didn't the 03-04 Cobra make buying ANY tuner car those years, not-so-good of a deal? The 03-04 Cobra was a bargain compared to what else was offered. I think the GT500 is going to be similar.

• Sponsors (?)

stangonline said:
The 03-04 Cobra was a bargain compared to what else was offered. I think the GT500 is going to be similar.
The 03/04 was also $10K less than the GT500. Ford is trying to capitalize on the Shelby name, and the GT500 is not nearly so good of a deal as the 03/04 was. And even then, the 03/04 had problems selling in large quantities. It'll be interesting to see if "Shelby" is enough to sell 8-10k cars a year at $43K+. People shopping in that price range are not so "blue collar" anymore, and they are well aware of what else you can buy for mid-40's these days (much less $70K, as some dealers are currently asking for GT500's).

The bargain of the century is the C6 Z06. Compared to the GT500, the base C6 at the same price is a bargain.

I'll be interested to see how the whole GT500 thing shakes out. I'm a long time Ford owner, but so far I am not impressed with the recent Ford direction. I hope for their sake they've already got a replacement for the modular in development. Could get ugly otherwise. Or maybe they'll start putting blowers on regular GT's...

Rootus said:
The 03/04 was also $10K less than the GT500. Ford is trying to capitalize on the Shelby name, and the GT500 is not nearly so good of a deal as the 03/04 was. And even then, the 03/04 had problems selling in large quantities. It'll be interesting to see if "Shelby" is enough to sell 8-10k cars a year at $43K+. People shopping in that price range are not so "blue collar" anymore, and they are well aware of what else you can buy for mid-40's these days (much less $70K, as some dealers are currently asking for GT500's).

I agree with you 100%. I just had this discussion with someone at work today. There AREN'T that many people that can truly afford to purchase a car for $40K and even less who can spend $60K. Of those people who can afford that sum of money, only a fraction of them would want a GT500 anyway. Most others would be much happier spending $50K on an Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, Corvette, Land Rover, Lexus, whatever.....

I think the supply of people who can and are willing to pay $60K for the GT500 will be exhausted pretty quick. Those prices will be coming down.

But I think we've drifted off topic a little...