This should be your first Mod.

SinCityVogel

Aug 4, 2005
Las Vegas
To make a long story short. I have had break fade since day 1 and I have been babying the brakes until now. I wasn't able to puchase a brake kit, so I did the next best thing.

Hawk HPS

Steeda - Front $85 Rear $70 (plus Shiping)
Pep Boys - Front $80 Rear $65 (in stock)

For any S-197 owner this should be your first Mod. I can not believe how much of a difference it made No more fade, No more pulsing, No more noises.

P.S. Dont forget, you MUST have the Tool to Compress the REAR Caliper pucks. I rented it from Auto Zone $35 and you get your money back when you return it.

:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

What does this tool do and can it be done in any other way. I'm in the UK so getting one to rent isn't an option.

the cheap version is for sale at any good auto parts store, looks like a hollow square with tits on it. Put it on a 12/8 extension and screw the puck back in.............

I HAVE A $40 Mac tools set that makes it a cake wake compared to that cube POS.

I bought the Borla Cat-Back system which I can't complain, I mean it is nice but I could have standed it to be louder but I may switch to side exhaust later on anyway even though I hear it takes some of your horsepower away.

What does this tool do and can it be done in any other way. I'm in the UK so getting one to rent isn't an option.

You should be able to get it over there. The first time I saw a brake setup that needed this special tool, it was on a Volkswagen and the first Ford I saw like this was the Contour (same as a mid 90s Mondeo). As long as you have an auto parts store over there that rents tools, they should have the tool you need.

I too plop my meaty hand of fate down upon the power of the Hawk pads. They do wonders! I've had them on all my cars.

Better stopping power, lower dust, no noise, don't wear on the rotors any different than stock. GET'EM!

To make a long story short. I have had break fade since day 1 and I have been babying the brakes until now. I wasn't able to puchase a brake kit, so I did the next best thing.

Hawk HPS

Steeda - Front $85 Rear $70 (plus Shiping)
Pep Boys - Front $80 Rear $65 (in stock)

For any S-197 owner this should be your first Mod. I can not believe how much of a difference it made No more fade, No more pulsing, No more noises.

P.S. Dont forget, you MUST have the Tool to Compress the REAR Caliper pucks. I rented it from Auto Zone $35 and you get your money back when you return it.

:nice:
have any part numbers for easy reference?

Use engine braking (at sub-2000 RPM) to help with stopping. I programmed this into my Crown Vic (4R70W) and it makes a big difference coming to a stop. If you go into N or pull in the clutch while braking in a GT, you're essentially relying only on your brakes and it isn't as effective. Don't engine brake at an ultra high RPM, but you could leave it in gear and quickly pull in the clutch or shift to neutral right before it wants to stall.

So far I haven't run into any fade issues with the GT's brakes.

HPS, the plus is their mainstream track day pad. They require more heat to be effective and will squeel at every stop. Do not get them for daily driver usage, you'll be annoyed and have less stopping power most the time.

I use the HP+ pads and have no problems with using them on the street. They may require more heat than the HPS but they still work fine on the street. I switched to them after I tried the HPS and I'm sticking with them. They DO squeel and they dirty up the wheels faster too but hey, if your brakes don't squeel, you have girly-man brakes.