Those looking to get paint work on the island beware!

91stangy

Jun 11, 2003
MAT'S AUTO in Bohemia, NY located on Lincoln Avenue is a hack shop and a half. Car looks o.k not even close to perfect after their body work, a crap load of orange peel, over spray and drip marks. After one year the paint will peel because they are too lazy to take the trim off and then when you take it back under their "warranty" they half ass it even more to the point that the car needs to be bead blasted to come out correctly. On top of that they cracked my tail lights and said they didnt. :mad: To let everyone know it is not just my one car i have my two cars, and 6 other cars that they have totally ruined to the point that no one can afford another body to fix the issues. Cars ruined, 3 mustangs, one corrado, one scirocco, one hyundai, one honda civic, and almost brought my land rover there (luckily corrado and mustang started peeling within a week of each other). So please spread the word.

• Sponsors (?)

So, let me get this straight. You brought your car there and they ruined the paint job and gave you the runaround, then you brought seven more cars there for paint/body work, and it happened seven more consecutive times? At any point did you stop to consider maybe going to a different shop? Not to be a dick, but that's just ridiculous.

The story with that is that i brought the first one (my mustang) and there wasnt any drips or anything and you cant tell he didnt take the moldings off or anything so everyone that saw the work that i knew took there stuff to them. Domino affect. Then i bought my corrado to them, and got it back as mentioned above. Wasnt worried about the drip mark in the front bumper until the car started peeling, (mustang started peeling 6 months earlier but i bought it to two different body shops for work so i thought it was the other shops fault) so i took the corrado back to have it fixed. Bad idea, paint job wasnt 100 times worse then before i took it to them the first time and still stuck like that. Im not an idiot, and the friends never told me they had same problems until i saw them recently and they asked about the horrible paint job on the car.

4500 is pretty cheap for a whole paint job. My shop and many other shops in my area get about 12,000-15,000 for a good paint job that requires the removal of everything and to "make love" with all the panels. 4500 is only about 52 hours of labor, and it takes about 150 hours+ to really do a nice thorough job.

4500 is pretty cheap for a whole paint job. My shop and many other shops in my area get about 12,000-15,000 for a good paint job that requires the removal of everything and to "make love" with all the panels. 4500 is only about 52 hours of labor, and it takes about 150 hours+ to really do a nice thorough job.

agreed but 12-15 sounds a little high, id say more like 10k but depends where u go, and if you would have taken the parts off yourself you could have avoided all of this

This guy has his F-150 at our shop getting fixed from a accident. So now he wants to get the whole thing repainted, he was quoted at just shy of 20,000. He freaked out, but what he still doesn't understand is that the whole vehicle has to be stripped down because the last company that did a complete on it hacked it out and the thing is peeling like crazy. Basically, you get what you pay for. If you spend 4-6 grand on a paint job it shouldn't look like crap but by no means will it look great. I still say 10 grand minimum for a legit paint job.

So what if it has to be stripped down? That still doesn't justify $20,000. You can almost buy a brand new F-150 for that kind of money.

If you want the best of everything then you will get just that nothing less. Your paint and body work will be the bees knees, I'm talking magazine quality at the least. Or you can do it half assed and will be repainting it after 5-6 years or you can have a great paint job that will last as long as you have your car.

You're making it sound like 4-6k is just pocket change. Thats a ****load of money (at least to me it is). If i'm spending that kind of money on a paint job I would expect it to look as good as the factory paint when it was new. Anything less is a rip off.

4-6 grand isn't pocket change but I wouldn't expect a factory quality job. I have seen so many 4-6 thousand dollar jobs that to the untrained eye look great but to someone in the industry it just hurts, to see what people pay for these jobs that are far from perfect. I have yet to see a job around 10 grand or more isn't damn near flawless.

You're making it sound like 4-6k is just pocket change. Thats a ****load of money (at least to me it is). If i'm spending that kind of money on a paint job I would expect it to look as good as the factory paint when it was new. Anything less is a rip off. :shrug:

what you should think about is how much labor costs are and how much time goes into a good quality paint job. Unless you know someone, your not gonna get a show/factory quality paint job for under 9-10k, its just not gonna happen. 4-6k isnt pocket change but when you bring your car to a shop and they put 100+ hours into the body what do you really expect to pay. Even the straighest cars need alot of blocking and sanding to get that glass like finish that everyone looks for.

a friend of myne had his 79 malibu done by someone on the side, the guy did what he could when he could get to it, just in his spare time. I took him like 9 months, and the car came out awesome, and he still paid over 4k for it.

what you should think about is how much labor costs are and how much time goes into a good quality paint job. Unless you know someone, your not gonna get a show/factory quality paint job for under 9-10k, its just not gonna happen. 4-6k isnt pocket change but when you bring your car to a shop and they put 100+ hours into the body what do you really expect to pay. Even the straighest cars need alot of blocking and sanding to get that glass like finish that everyone looks for.

a friend of myne had his 79 malibu done by someone on the side, the guy did what he could when he could get to it, just in his spare time. I took him like 9 months, and the car came out awesome, and he still paid over 4k for it.

My student who works for Seidners is allowed to use the paint booth on weekend as long as we clean up said he would paint the car for me for 1800, if i help him prep and strip and sand everything and buy materials, and he has done fantastic work on alot of things so i would say 4-6k is average price for a great paint job around here

A friend of mine typically charges $2000 to do his friends cars and he does a decent job but it does not include any jambs and usually the car comes to him mostly stripped by the owner.

If you can get a decent paint job without doing jambs or under the hood for $5000, you are making out OK.

To get a truly perfect result...150 hours times 40-60 an hour which is still cheap depending on the shop...you have anywhere from 6000-8000 in labor alone. That does not include any materials at all. $10k is a good ballpark figure which fluctuates up or down depending on the car, the shop and the attention to detail.

As for the OP...I still dont get how you brought so many cars back to this place even though you were disappointed with their work every time. Also, why did people you know decide to go there even after they had seen how your stuff came out? Is there something in the water where you live?

Do you work for a body shop? lol
Lets see here: $10,000 / 100 hours = $100/hr :eek:

Maybe it has to do with where you live but in my area you can get a factory quality paint job from 3-5k. 10k is just flat out ridiculous especially in this economy. I'd be on the look out for a 93 Cobra or 87-93 Saleen before dropping 10g's on paint.:nonono:

Its pretty obvious that your reading skills arent up to snuff, i said 100+ hours. that plus sign means more than 100, and i said show quality., go to the shop that gives you the 3-5k price and lemme know how it goes for you, i bet another thread like this would start soon after :nice: