Those using the aftermarket door handles, quick question

281pony

Aug 31, 2003
Oly, WA
i have a bad doorhandle on my car, it opens fine, but its going out. it has been like this for almost 2 years since i got the car. im finally going to fix it.

i have the aftermarket metal ones painted black. im wondering how durable the black finish on these are? ive heard of some people getting chips in the paint. i dont want them to look like ass so im looking for some input on how yours are lasting, how long before they chip, ect.

going out to try and drill the rivits with my 10 dollar harbor freight drill :lol:

• Sponsors (?)

I bought metal ones off of ebay when mine broke, the paint has held up and still looks good after 2 yrs. :nice: Instead of rivoting the new ones back on i used carriage bolts and those lock nuts with the nylon ring them ( cant remember what they are called :rolleyes: )

yep that is the plan, happen to know the relative size of the bolts? i just got my door panel off and will probably get a relative idea if not. i just have random hardware around here, but live by a store i can hit tomorrow if nothing else.

i got lucky too and found my handles. hopefully i have a normal operating door tomorrow :nice:

sounds like the paint is decent then, i also bought mine off ebay.

i just got the handle off, those rivits are easy to drill out, but the damn little tabs are a pain to break/bend so they fall out. i have the right bolts, but no nuts :rolleyes:

i have a question too. i thought the exterior door handle was the same linkage as the interior somehow. the interior door handle is loose also like the outside was. do i need a new interior handle also if its loose?

i hope i needed doorhandles period :lol: the inside handle and outside handle both worked, but had like half their travel in play. if you pushed on the door outside it was the only way to get it open. otherwise it felt like the handle would snap off before it opened the door. the interior i usually pull on while i release it to get out.

does this sound like something else being the problem? i didnt study the linkage that closely since i cant see much.

Same black metal ones as the others. No issues with paint or otherwise.

Used phillips head stainless bolts with a nylon lock nut on the back. Think that they are 5/16.

Once the nylon nuts loose contact with the door metal, a theif would no longer be able to turn them and hence no theft.