Those with Bilsteins/Aftermarket springs...LOTS of questions for anybody!

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
I got some questions for you:nice:

I'm officially looking into getting some Bilsteins (as I believe them to be the best overall strut/shock combination).

I would like to hear your feedback on the ride quality and what aftermarket springs did you go with? Did a suspension company recommend you that combination?

Pictures would be excellent:)

I'm considering getting the 94/95 shocks for the rear on the '93 Fox, because they can be used for a rear coil over kit.

Where is the cheapest and reliable place to get the 87-93 struts and 94/95 shocks?

This '93 is going to turn into my daily driver soon, so I want ride comfort, but I like the ability to zip around corners as well:nice:

Also, a BIG question here. Most run spring isolaters right?

Which kind did you get and why?

• Sponsors (?)

Fork out 1700 for the MM Coil-over kit and you won't have anymore questions. Spend some of your money, you can't take it with yah :D And also you should be basing your question on what SPRING gives a good ride quality. The spring determines how stiff or soft of a ride you get. The shock is only a balancer so to speak. You base your shocks/springs off how stiff or soft of springs you got! So pick your spring first!

I actually do know that:D

I thought it was worded okay...

I do not have the money for a kit like that, nor is it practical right now.

College students can not get by with that:)

Any help would be appreciated.

Well before i went with my bilstien MM coil-overs i had Eibach Pro-kit with KYB AGX adjustable shock/strut. And it was great. You could change from a some what stiff ride to a nice smooth float. It also lowered the car nice.

I have the HR sports springs with my Bilsteins based on many opinions on this and other stang forums and based on two seperate MM tech guys. I also was going MM coil-over but a MM employee actually talked me out of it.
How many miles are on your stang? You will probably want to replace ALL the rubber in the suspension while doing this project. I put in new A-arms (probably not feasible for you at this time), new sway bar rubber, tie rods etc. The ride is much improved and is great with the HR's and bilsteins. I am running poly isolators. I've just done the fronts for now can't comment on the rear. The drop with HRs and Bilsteins LOOK great too.

Cajun, if you could get me some pics or email them to me that would be great. If not, that's cool:nice:

I really don't think I'll do the rubber bushings at the same time, just trying to save money for a while.

The stang has roughly 172-173k on it, but it has some old cheap part store struts on it with some old B springs. The ride is horrible. When you hit a bump, it feels like the car is going to break in half, no kidding:eek:

So what are other options for the isolaters? Poly and Delrin? rubber?

What is the Poly supposed to do?

I'm running Bilstein HD's on stock springs, with 3/4" of a coil trimmed from the front springs, and my original rubber isolators. Not the best spring setup, but for now it fits my budget and works pretty well. The ride is compliant and comfortable and handling is pretty decent. I do have MM C/C plates, all polyurethane bushings in the front end, and an '04 steering rack with a MM solid shaft, which really made a huge handling improvement. I expect when I finally get subframe connectors installed the Bilsteins will really shine.

I bought my struts & shocks from stangsuspension.com last summer and paid around $500... they were helpful and good to deal with, you might try eBay or shox.com as well, maybe try to price match the lowest price you find.

David, don't forget to get with Dave (Mansonozz). He runs progressive rate springs with Bil's as I recall.

The most feasible option for isolators is Poly. It's the route I ended up going (bye bye 50 bucks). The Prothane isolators were a little cheaper but I used ES since I was familiar with their isolators specifically. Autozone can order the isolators for about the same cost as the online stores and you might not have to pay shipping (sometimes the answers I get from the parts store guys changes).

Otherwise, I cannot help. HP's with a Prokit are as exotic as I could ever afford to go. :(

Atleast ensure your FLCA bushings are not in pieces or allowing movement when you pull on the wheel. If you do need new ones (I'm actually a proponent of replacing them when they start to go), the poly is stiff. It's almost as stiff as Delrin but it still deflects (for that reason I *prefer* Delrin). But Delrin/Del-alum is uber $$ so poly or stockish durometer bushings are about as good as one can economically do.

I've also dealt with Josh at Stang suspension a couple of times - I agree that he's a real straight shooter and ships super fast.

Glad to see you're finally gonna' do the suspension. :nice:

From the OEM Struts and Shocks :notnice: :notnice: to Monroe,:notnice: then KYB, and Koni in 10 1/2 yrs and 152,000 .
About 8 yrs ago I went with the Bilsteins and H&R sport springs after talking to the MM technician who said it will completely change the way your car rides and handles. And since I've done that swap I've put on over 17,000 and I have no regrets installing the Bilsteins or the H&R sports springs, I just wised I would have done it sooner.
The ride is firm but not harsh and stays flat in the turns.
This may not be what you're looking for but here are a couple of pics?

View attachment 359849

View attachment 359851

Thanks for the pictures, that is a very nice looking stang. I know you have heard that before:)

Nice feedback!

So what is the deal with poly and delrin? spring isolaters? Pros/Cons of each are wanted.

I'd second Hissin's advice to strongly consider replacing the FLCA bushings... After around 100k mine were so mushy I could put a screwdriver through the metal sleeve in the bushings and move them around with very little pressure. There was no way they were up to holding my suspension in proper alignment anymore. With 172k I can't imagine yours are in much better shape.

I replaced my balljoints at the same time but otherwise left the suspension bone stock, worn out Motorcraft struts and all, and the car felt 100 times better. The bushings were only about $40 and a local shop charged $75 to press them in. They said my stock bushings were especially stuck in the arms otherwise it would have been under $50 to do. So for the cost I feel it was well worth doing.

After installing the poly bushings I felt a little more vibration transmitted through the chassis over rough roads, but nothing unlivable. The suspension seemed more controlled over large bumps, and they made a huge improvement in steering response and the car's ability to hold a straight line on the road.

When I upgrade my springs I'll probably install some poly isolators because they should hold up much better over time. It's not often you have your springs out, so might as well do everything at once. My stock rubber isolators were pretty well compressed when I had the control arms out, but were still reuseable, so I threw them back in there due to already being over budget on the front end rebuild.

If nothing else I would definately get some Bilsteins and replace all the 'little stuff' later on. I know that exact 'car about to break in half' feeling you described and it went away with the new struts and shocks. I no longer have to slow down to 20 mph going over railroad tracks and avoid half the roads in my town. The Mustang is actually a nice daily driver now. Even my girlfriend agrees.

David, don't forget to get with Dave (Mansonozz). He runs progressive rate springs with Bil's as I recall.

The most feasible option for isolators is Poly. It's the route I ended up going (bye bye 50 bucks). The Prothane isolators were a little cheaper but I used ES since I was familiar with their isolators specifically. Autozone can order the isolators for about the same cost as the online stores and you might not have to pay shipping (sometimes the answers I get from the parts store guys changes).

Otherwise, I cannot help. HP's with a Prokit are as exotic as I could ever afford to go. :(

Atleast ensure your FLCA bushings are not in pieces or allowing movement when you pull on the wheel. If you do need new ones (I'm actually a proponent of replacing them when they start to go), the poly is stiff. It's almost as stiff as Delrin but it still deflects (for that reason I *prefer* Delrin). But Delrin/Del-alum is uber $$ so poly or stockish durometer bushings are about as good as one can economically do.

I've also dealt with Josh at Stang suspension a couple of times - I agree that he's a real straight shooter and ships super fast.

Glad to see you're finally gonna' do the suspension. :nice:

:bang:

JT, I skipped over your post by accident when I seen Almost Stock's picture post. Sorry:)

I remember you had talked about Delrin in the past, and that is why I brought it up...

So I need to look at my front lower control arm bushings? I'll take a look, the car's ride/stability are something I do not like right now.

All in all, I'll probably have a little conversation with MM and stangsuspension guys...

If I do decide to sell the '98 after all (I can get the most money for it), then I'll drop the $ then:shrug:

Thanks for the suggestions as well HaynStang.! I'm trying to keep cost down, but quality high as possible. Yeah, the car rides rough, my gf hates it...lol.

Kevin - Yeah, I like the fact that Bilstein's come on a lot of factory performance cars. Seems like a good fit for me:nice:

Hey David,
With budget in mind (you can't sell the '98. :D ), forget about Delrin or Del-alum. It's really not worth it with crappy roads anyhow (though they feel better on rutted roads than really worn rubber bushings).

Unless you can score some nice M3075 arms (when they were $160 they were a deal. Now at 3 bills, not so much)..............

I would just go Haynstang's route and get some new rubber bushings (hopefully with a slightly higher durometer rating than stock - something akin to what's on your 98 [which was stepped up from the original SN bushings]). This should be pretty cheap compared to other options.

HaynStang also made a good point about paying someone else to do the bushings. My local machine shop guy did bushings and BJ's for 40 bucks. Money well spent (and you know I like getting my hands dirty).

I also noticed the ride height go up with poly isolators (my OEM isolators were pancaked). With Mach 1 springs, my ride height didnt really change from the stock springs. :lol: I'm not about having the cars really dropped so it doesnt bother me. I didnt even bother trying to find stock isolators because I figured they were more $$ anyhow.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. I'm done - with Paul and Kevin posting (with two of my favorite Mustangs in general), there's nothing I can possibly add. :hail2:

I got to agree with hissin. I ran sportlines and kyb's in my fox (missing it) and it was a great ride. I rode in a GT fox with the H&R and bilstein combo and what a difference. I plan on running H&R in my 02 GT