Thoughts And Opinions On Kooks Long Tube Headers?

superchamp5.0

Sep 23, 2015
I found a set of cook longtubes headers with 3 inch x pipe on to some 40 series flowmaster with dumps for a good deal I'm running gt40p heads I know the headers will work on the p heads but I was wondering if any of you have run these before I think it's a little much for my setup but its a great deal on them and I can always grow into them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-12-10-03-27.png
    Screenshot_2015-10-12-10-03-27.png
    145.6 KB · Views: 167
  • Sponsors (?)

The picture is really small, but it looks like those are for highport heads with the offset header bolts. I could be wrong, hard to tell from the picture. Any way to make it bigger?

If that's the case, those will not bolt up to your heads.

The picture is really small, but it looks like those are for highport heads with the offset header bolts. I could be wrong, hard to tell from the picture. Any way to make it bigger?

If that's the case, those will not bolt up to your heads.
These headers have been in the family for a long time lol and I'm new to this site haven't quite figured out how to post actual pics yet this a screen shot of the actual photo they came off a 331 with twisted wedge heads. They have plates that bolt to the head and the headers bolt to the plates. The plates are not in the photo but i have seen them in person my cousin has this exhaust and he done and LSX swap and no longer needs these the headers by them self where 1200 bucks he priced the whole set up for 800

I found a set of cook longtubes headers with 3 inch x pipe on to some 40 series flowmaster with dumps for a good deal I'm running gt40p heads I know the headers will work on the p heads but I was wondering if any of you have run these before I think it's a little much for my setup but its a great deal on them and I can always grow into them.

You can grow into them, as long as you buy the right head.

The add the intake, cam, and compression to make it all work.

Like Hoopty said, I see a bolt hole diagonally oriented to the exhaust port. Standard exhaust port config is horizontal.
( that equals no worky)

They also look to be on the big side primary wise,...like maybe 1.3/4" (which would make sense as to why the bolts are diagonally oriented). If that's the case, an 1.750 primary is way too big for any street engine less that 350 c.i.

The plates are standard configuration they will bolt to any head with standard ford config. Then the headers bolt to the plate Bolts to the head that's how the diagonally bolt pattern works it doesn't actually bolt to the head it bolts to the plate and you can actually order plates from kooks for what ever head you choose so the ports will match they even make a plate for gt40p heads this plate also moves the headers out more making the spark plug angle no problem on the p heads. they are 13/4 primary into a three inch collector

The plates are standard configuration they will bolt to any head with standard ford config. Then the headers bolt to the plate Bolts to the head that's how the diagonally bolt pattern works it doesn't actually bolt to the head it bolts to the plate and you can actually order plates from kooks for what ever head you choose so the ports will match they even make a plate for gt40p heads this plate also moves the headers out more making the spark plug angle no problem on the p heads. they are 13/4 primary into a three inch collector

Then I'm back to saying that 1.750 primaries are too big. You will in effect actually lose a significant amount of torque over what you currently have.

I am familiar with the kooks like you posted. My fathernlaw ran them on a race motor, pulled that motor and dropped back in his old gt40p motor. He ran the headers on this engine too. No issues with his. Now, he does have a little higher compressikn, ported heads and a decent hr camshaft, but I don't think it would be a bad choice.

Just my opinion.

Joe

Reactions: 1 users
There not a whole lot out there on these headers I think the 1200 dollar price tag and the fact that these a pure racing headers is probably the main reasons why a lot of people haven't run them but I appreciate your opinions but I think I'm going to run them it might hurt the torque but I'm going to try them if they kill it bad then I'll put them up for my next build

There not a whole lot out there on these headers I think the 1200 dollar price tag and the fact that these a pure racing headers is probably the main reasons why a lot of people haven't run them but I appreciate your opinions but I think I'm going to run them it might hurt the torque but I'm going to try them if they kill it bad then I'll put them up for my next build
Kooks are really nice headers, probably stainless too.

Reactions: 1 user
I more thing, check and see if they will clear whatever k member you have. No know a upr was recommended for my fathernlaw's. He had a DandD, and they would not clear.

Joe

Joe already stated what I was going to say lol. I will add that I'd buy them if it were me. Like the op stated he can grow into them. Not an ideal set up for a Gt40 build but would work great if you added significant upgrades(like cubic inches,heads,cam,intake,etc). The price isn't great(exhaust parts are usually about 1/3 the cost vs new) depending on condition. If it's only slightly used then you're getting a good deal.

K member in the photo comes with the headers and a smaller starter so everything will clear just fine these parts have low low miles on them less than 5 passes at the track less than 1500 miles on the road my cousin obtain the car from a friend of his and he actually built the car my cousin did him and my uncle run a performance shop that specializes in late model GM its called tick performance they pulled the 331 out of this Mustang and put a 5.3 turbo setup in It sold the 331 long block and this is what they have left the exhaust it costed 1800 new for all the exhaust parts he priced the whole package for 800 I think it's a hell of a deal

The way I feel about it is I'll never have to buy exhaust again lol no matter what setup I run. except I might ditch the choke masters down the line they sound awesome but everyone has them I'm more of a SLP man myself

Spintech makes an amazing sounding muffler. As I'm getting older maybe I've lost more hearing than I like to admit, but yelling at passengers during idle isn't my idea of fun anymore. I've really grown to like magnaflow. Completely bearable until you jump on it then they just scream.

My car has MagnaFlow with tips on it now and it sound awesome where on it when I bought the car but I like loud lol I run stright pipes with a off road x pipe on my last car a 92 notch but I wanted something different this time thinking about 3in slp resonators with dumps if I drove the car every day I might think twice about that but I like obnoxious exhaustbut I don't think I can stand it as a daily my head would ring too much lol