Three inch exhaust for this? Sounds funny...

RioRed94vert

Jun 13, 2005
kansas city
I know someone who just got an 88 lx notch and he doesnt really know much about cars. He has a short throw shifter, king cobra clutch, cold air, cobra intake, udpullies, longtube headers into 3 inch exhaust and dumped. My qeustion is that the 3 inch exhaust sounds like to much for a 5 liter with no internal mods like cam, heads and what not. I have a stock 96 gt 5 speed and we raced from a stop . He let off at about 25-30 and said that the "clutch slipped" I think he might be full of ****. Cause he definitly floored it and I pulled away in my stocker on 18'' rims. Is it possible that he is losing a ton of low end torque with that exhaust? He says it needs 3 inch exhaust, and i beg to differ. Sorry so long any input would be helpful.....:flag: :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

The only area where he gained any power was in the 6,000+ range with a stock style setup and 3" plumbing...

Maybe if it was supercharged it wouldn't be so bad but I bet that car is a dog off the line.

He probably doesn't have 3in exhaust and is judging that off his tips.:shrug:

3 in. exhaust is definetly not needed until you get some big horsepower numbers.

I doubt his clutch is slipping. That King Cobra (assuming he has one) will hold up just fine for quite some time even under abuse with that power level.

dang he must have 3" exhaust or be the worst driver ever, because his gt40 intaked 5.0 shoulda stomped your 4.6 sorry to say,

advise this guy to step down a notch on the exhaust, or just swap a 460 to match it

srothfuss said:
The only area where he gained any power was in the 6,000+ range with a stock style setup and 3" plumbing...

Maybe if it was supercharged it wouldn't be so bad but I bet that car is a dog off the line.

:Word:

The heads would be a huge restriction at that RPM, so 3" exhaust would be useless in that sense anyhow..

3" exhaust is way way too big for a stock 5 liter.. hell i just finished doing exhaust for a customers 63 falcon.. w a blown 331 making 620hp at the wheels and its running 2.5" exhaust.. 3" exhaust is way too much for a stock 5 liter..

On a typical bolt-on engine, if you run 1 5/8 headers into a 2.5 inch mid pipe (X/H) and THEN into 3 inch exhaust, you'll pick up top end without sacrificing torque. Three inch from the headers back is overkill, but will still help top end, but you'll suffer loss of torque.

3" exaust? What is his total setup? It wouldn't make a big difference, maby a few lbs of torque down low would be lost but I doubt just an oversized catback would really effect anything to the point of getting smoked or winning.