Three New Batteries In Six Months. Why?

Discussion in '2005 - 2014 Specific V6 Tech' started by ewells1014, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Hey all. My 2006 is going through batteries like nobody's business. I've searched the forum and the general consensus seems to be either a bad alternator or the alarm draining it. I bought this car second hand last year, and it had a new alternator and battery when I purchased it. Every once in a while it won't start. I'll take the battery up and have it tested, and it'll test as bad, so they give me a new one. (Interstate battery). ANY clue as to why this is happening? My husband has done some work on the car since he bought it (converted to a dual exhaust, brake pads/rotors, and cold air intake). He also bought a tuner. I'm at a loss here, and so is he. What could be killing the battery? (Again, I'm using a brand new Interstate battery, and the alternator was replaced shortly before I bought the car and is less than a year old.) Thanks everyone!

P.S. The car is kept in the garage and we never lock the doors, so I don't think it's an alarm issue.

2. I would have your local parts store do a 'load test' on your charging system. They do this for 'free'. Maybe they will find something wrong, like the alternator is over charging the battery, bad voltage regulator, etc. :)

3. Hopefully what David Young said works. I had an issue my battery creating corrosion just 2.5 years after I purchased my 2014, and I purchased it new. It also made my power disconnect probably due to the corrosion, although I cleaned it off a couple times, and would have to jiggle the positive wire to get the connection again. I hope I don't have a battery issue either. The new one is now working and no new corrosion... yet.

4. Mustang5L5 likes this.
  5. ^^^

You'll need to hook up a digital multimeter in series and see if you have a drain. If you do, you can start pulling fuses to isolate and identify the circuit that has a drain. Often it's a hood light, or a vanity light that's staying on.