throttle body??

herb13th

Nov 16, 2002
ok here's my problem. it usually only happens once a day and after i get my car started, it's fine for the rest of the day. i have a 98 gt convertable completely stock w/103,XXX miles on it. my problem usually happens when i take my 25 mile drive to work every day. after i let the car sit for about 4 hours or so and go to take my lunch break, i have problems with the car starting. it will crank and start fine but will die shortly after. i can keep it going by keeping my foot slightly on the gas but as soon as i let off it will die. now sometimes it sounds like i can hear something coming from the throttle body kinda like when a carburator backfires or something. i dont know if i have a sensor that's bad, my throttle body is bad or god forbid my fuel pump going bad. anybody have any idea on what's going on?? it only does it once a day and a couple of times at the most. if i let it sit after i try to crank it about 5 seconds, it catches and runs fine. my acceleration is fine so my car is not running sluggish. and i'm also getting about 21-22 mpg and dont really believe it's my fuel pump but i could be wrong. thanks for your info guys!!!

• Sponsors (?)

usually idle problems are associated with your iac. the iac is located at the front of the plenum with a rubber hose coming off of it, going into a black box, then going into the intake tube. it sounds like your iac motor is either getting stuck, or it is going out. you can try to take it off, by removing the 2 bolts holding it on, and cleaning it with carb cleaner. if that doesn't help, then most likely your iac motor is going out.