Throwing Codes, need you guys now more than ever: stumped.

Warrior62

Sep 28, 2010
First off I want to say thanks for your time and attention regarding these matters, you all have never let me down before!

Well, here are the codes Im throwing:

P0720- Output speed sensor circuit malfunction
P1151- Manuf. Cont. Fuel/Air Metering
P0174- System Too lean (bank 2) (tears)

So..heres how I messed everything up. Saturday I decided to wire up my narrowband A/F gauge (Lightshow I know, but got it for next to nothing) thinking it would be a piece of cake, using this write-up: http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...lete-n00b.html. I spliced into wire 87, for the passenger front o2 sensor (red, black stripe) going into the pcm, however i didnt do it the same way as described in the write up..I instead (regretfully) cut this wire in half because it was so short and bridged the two with another wire, something of greater gauge. I then proceeded to wire in the A/F gauge wire where the factory wire and bridge wire meet. This may be a ****ty conection and may very well be the answer to trouble code P0174, but I would want to get other opinions first. As for the other trouble codes, they are causing my speedo to cut out and stop working, and my car is not running normally, every once in a while I'll get a little hesitation. Im scared to drive her but must, so I am being very conservative.. I am wondering if maybe I nicked another wire or two when removing the electrical tape, that being a possibility. I have the wire colors for these components and will check them for damage in a few hours once i get out of class. I will also post up pics of my "splice". For now, any suggestions on how I might want to do to resolve these issues would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks again!

DJ

• Sponsors (?)

First off I want to say thanks for your time and attention regarding these matters, you all have never let me down before!

Well, here are the codes Im throwing:

P0720- Output speed sensor circuit malfunction
P1151- Manuf. Cont. Fuel/Air Metering
P0174- System Too lean (bank 2) (tears)

So..heres how I messed everything up. Saturday I decided to wire up my narrowband A/F gauge (Lightshow I know, but got it for next to nothing) thinking it would be a piece of cake, using this write-up: http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...lete-n00b.html. I spliced into wire 87, for the passenger front o2 sensor (red, black stripe) going into the pcm, however i didnt do it the same way as described in the write up..I instead (regretfully) cut this wire in half because it was so short and bridged the two with another wire, something of greater gauge. I then proceeded to wire in the A/F gauge wire where the factory wire and bridge wire meet. This may be a ****ty conection and may very well be the answer to trouble code P0174, but I would want to get other opinions first. As for the other trouble codes, they are causing my speedo to cut out and stop working, and my car is not running normally, every once in a while I'll get a little hesitation. Im scared to drive her but must, so I am being very conservative.. I am wondering if maybe I nicked another wire or two when removing the electrical tape, that being a possibility. I have the wire colors for these components and will check them for damage in a few hours once i get out of class. I will also post up pics of my "splice". For now, any suggestions on how I might want to do to resolve these issues would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks again!

DJ

If you had no codes before then you answered your question , you have nicked some other wires most likely and you should never use different gauge wires for connections since alot of what these wires read is resisitance based , you change that when you have bad connections or different gauge wires

Confused because the RD/BK O2 wire is associated with the HO2S21 O2 sensor (Front left). Further, the RD/BK wire runs the O2 heater and not the signal return.

The OSS speed sensor wires are GY/RD and DG/WH. Incidently pass through connector C139 which is the same connector as HO2S21. If the OSS sensor wires have been nicked or fuse F2.2 and/or F2.8 is BLOWN this could affect the speedo and/or other symptoms.

Considering what has been done, suggest checking all of your fuses.

I am really at a complete loss to understand what you are trying to do and how you are trying to do it. From the post, it appears that you are trying to tap into the O2 heater circuit but the wire colors mentioned do not match up with the reported O2 sensors.

If you are tapping into the O2 heater circuit, then the lights will be based upon when the PCM turns on/off the heaters. Not really very meaniful.

Further, the output from the O2 sensors is very small. I don't undertand how this tiny signal could be used to drive an additional load without affecting the primary purpose of the O2 sensor.

I am attaching diagram-24-9 so that you can see for yourself.

Suggest inspecting connector C139 that is listed as "engine compartment, rear, center". Look for bent/pushed pins. Follow the harness in both directions and see if it is the same as the one "worked on".

Inspect all of the wires where the splice was made. Look for any damaged insulation, burnt wires, or any other damage.

IMO, if spliced correctly, using a larger gauge wire will not necessarily cause problems. Note, I stated "if done correctly". This does not apply to shielded signal or twisted pair signal lines. These have very different requirements.

All I can say is WOW (not in a good way). :nono:

OBTW; the write up URL does not work (404).