Throwout bearing

96stangn

Jul 22, 2003
My throwout bearing needs to be replaced. It is making that whistle sound and even grinding under certain conditions. I was wondering if anyone had a "How-to" on replacing the throwout bearing and if it is something a non-mechanic can do pretty easily? If I should bring it to a mechanic, how much would the labor be to install a new throwout bearing?

• Sponsors (?)

This is not something that can be done easily. The transmission will have to be dropped, which means you'll have to drop the midpipe, and the driveshaft. By the way, are you sure it is your throwout bearing and not your clutch as well?
You'll be looking at around $300 for a mechanic to do a clutch job.

Hope this helps

I know for sure that the bearing is causing the whistling sound, but I just assumed that it was also the cause of the grinding sound that occurs after the transmission shifts from 2nd to 3rd and the rpms fall below 1500, which only happens when I am not accelerating very fast. Most of the time, there is no grinding at all. How would I be able to tell the difference whether it is my throw out bearing that is bad, or if it is an issue with my automatic trasmission? I could try greasing the bearing to get rid of the whistle, but if the bearing is bad, that wont stop the grinding. Any help would be appreciated.

I have just been reading about other people with similar problems. The whistling sound is exactly what people with an ungreased throwout bearing hear, so I assumed that it must be the case with mine as well.

If you have an automatic, you do not have a throw out bearing. A throw out bearing is 1 of a 3 piece clutch assembly set for a manual transmission.

If your auto is making noise similar to a throw out bearing, I'd have it looked at by a qualified mechanic... now!

-Cale