Thumping Sensation Felt During Left Turns

5literPwr

Founding Member
Jul 17, 2002
Spent the morning under the car looking, and the afternoon and evening searching archived posts, but havent found an answer yet. My problem is an odd rubbing/thumping sensation felt thru the center console while taking left turns under moderate speeds. Right turns produce nothing abnormal. This only occurs during left turns. Turning left under VERY low speeds eliminates the occurance.

Upon checking the drivetrain, the only thing that appears to be worn out is possibly axle bearings as I have just discovered tugging on my rear drums produces a clunking sound on both right and left side brake drums. I do not know whether this may be the problem, but I am soon replacing them.

If anyone has experianced this problem, or may have any suggestions or opinions, I would greatly appreciate the advice. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

How did the fan clutch bend? Your motor mounts might be shot (a sign of bad mounts is the fan blade hitting the shroud).

I'm guessing that it got damaged from a collision with a guard-rail from the previous owner, and they perhaps overlooked the possibility of it failing eventually. At the time I bought it (4-5 yrs ago) I didn't notice any issues. I am almost certain that the issues I started experiencing occurred right after taking a real tight left hand turn at a higher than usual rate of speed. It was then that it became apparent that there was a problem. I will check the motor mount and look for issues. Thanks for the suggestions. I am hoping that the issue was just a result of the collision, and over time became worst.:shrug: Thanks.