Tilt Column Swap; Shaft too Short??

Lifted94XLT

Jun 25, 2008
Shawnee, KS
I just finished up swapping in a late 80's tilt column into my 92 airbag car. Everything went pretty easily except the horn wiring which I haven't got to yet, but the intermediate shaft will not mate up to the steering shaft.... the mounting holes are about 1.5" away from each other. I have thought about sliding the rack side of the IM Shaft up on the splines of the rack to close the gap but that just doesn't seem safe to me. anybody have any ideas? also, I have a moroso U-joint welded in in place of the factory rag joint, but the intermediate shaft is the same length as a factory IM shaft with the rag joint. Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated..... I'm wondering if I'm gonna have to buy or build a new IM shaft.

--Ryan

• Sponsors (?)

Pull on the intermediate shaft (this is the shaft in the column) it will come out of the column more to meet the steering shaft, they can be a PIA but it will come out ;)

Hope that helps...

I had the same problem when I had to take my str col out. (long story)
Like an idiot, I tapped on the shaft to clear the rag joint. What I found out later is that I shortened the shaft. To fix it (pull it back out), I put a bolt through the hole in the shaft, and used a slide hammer to pull it out. It worked. Good luck.