Tilt into a non tilt car...

Look Its Aaron

Your car looks like it came straight from Mexico.
Founding Member
Nov 18, 2001
Fontana, Cali
I got a steering column from a tilt steering wheel car, and want to put it in my car. Is there anything special involved besides changing the ignition over and what about the air bag?

• Sponsors (?)

if it were possible to have the air back with tilt, don't you think ford would have done that? I'd say removing the air bag from an air bag equipped car is illegal big time since that's a safety control device...if you wrecked, the insurance company wouldn't cover crap since they'd say your car isn't legal for the street. Might wanna consider a column from 90-93 if you need a new one for some reason.

yea

Non-cat hpipes are illegal as well but everybody does it.. In this state it is not illegal to alter safety devices other than seatbelts...You will need to keep your turn signal swicth from the 90+ column to use on your 87-89 column...

to heck with the air bag. I never used mine LOL. it is my understanding that the airbag does have a capacitor that stores power to deploy it even if the battery is disconnected, so make sure you don't do anything to set it off or you'll be getting your broken nose fixed too. Other than that I don't think the swap is really to hard to do.

It will work fine, i did it in my last mustang and ditched the sh-tty airbag steeringwheel, cause the little bastards stole my car and f-cked it up on me,, like said aboir by rob you will have to change a bit of the wiring cause of the switches are different,, my cruise woildn't line up, so i ditched it,,never used it anyways....

Look Its Aaron said:
maybe you couldn't tell that I have a 90-93 car. I want the tilt steering wheel in it.
yeah dude, I know you have a 90-93 car or you'd already have the tilt. I was just saying that it might be a good idea to check the laws first and see if insurance will cover you if something happens. As for the off-road h pipe being illegal...yeah, but I doubt an insurance company will deny covering you because of an off-road h pipe...i'm not even sure, but I definately would check into it first...just me.

hmm

What does having an airbag have to do with being illegal versus insurance not covering you?? If you get in an accident where you are injured you are pretty much sol anyway..Unless its other dudes fault..Then that insurance has to prove that you changed out the airbag..BTW I love the looks of airbag steering wheels.. They are 10X stronger than the 87-89's and in my opinion look way better.. The leather wrap feels so much better than neoprene foam..