Time For New Ignition Wires

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
I noticed one of the ignition wire boots near the distributor cracking so it's time for a new set of wires. It's not a show car under the hood so I don't need anything fancy. I want a good quality set that is sized to work with the factory looms.

Which set would you recommend? Are the factory wires 9mm?

• Sponsors (?)

Taylor spiro pro 8mm is my recommendation. I've ran those and the FMS kit on different cars. The Taylor's are nicer. I'm going to be switching my FMS wires out for them.

Reactions: 1 user
id like to see a 9mm on his car personally. Just my suggestion though

Then again the moroso race wires are only 8.6mm wires so maybe it isnt as big a deal as i think .

How much do you want to spend? Firecore are the best hands down but are pretty expensive. Went from the Motorsport ones to firecore and the car leaned out half a a/f point at idle.

I'm pretty indifferent about plug wires, MSD has never let me down and is usually my go to recommendation. Ford Motorsport is a good budget friendly choice as well.
Personally I use Moroso Ultra 40 wires but that is way overkill for what you'll need :)

And they arc in such pretty colors!
I burned through one of mine and have it taped I think I am going with the super 40s this time like Nick has . They are like 71 bucks on summit direct fit for our cars

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

Incidentally, it appears my 23 yr old Fox has the original ignition wires on it but not for long. When I bought the car a couple years ago, it still had the original dust boot on the top of the distributor.

Motorcraft if you want originality. Parts store brands if you're cheap and just want something that works. Accel or Ford Racing if you're on a budget and want to pick your color. The choice is really yours. Just make sure you go with something spiral core and 8mm or larger. I currently run Ford Racing 9mm in red, but I've ran Accel Super-Stock reds and yellows on my cars for years.

Last edited:
i've ran autozone cheapies, taylor's, frpp, and msd. of them all, i think i liked the msd best, taylor second. i custom-cut the latter two to route them the way i wanted (msd's with a gt40p setup, taylors with the tfs kit) as NO-ONE cuts them to the right length for a truly clean install. the frpp's were the biggest pita just for the fact they were 9mm and finding seperators for them was tough (and have a lot of negative reviews these days).