Progress Thread HeHateMe gets bent

I guess today I can check the clearance on the rods. Still waiting on pistons and rings. I browse the internet and see the likes of John Huber, which is what got my brother fired up to talk me into this. People out there making north of 600 hp from a 2.3. That was designed in the early 70's. If you've ever had one of these apart, it's a joke....to think it could handle 400 hp let alone 600, 700, 800??? even. The deck is super thin. I know from reading most of the problems with big hp numbers start with blowing the head gasket. Solutions end with o-ringing the block and head.

Then there are crazy ways to deal with deck distortion. One guy removes the rear freeze plug behind #4 and puts a bolt and block in the water passage, jacks up the deck, fills the block then decks the block. Sort of pre-stresses it. But the deck is so thin anyway, it's hard to believe you can remove much without making it any weaker.

The next thing and if I keep going after this engine expires, is VW TDI ARP head studs. They are the same thread as a 2.3 but they are longer. So the theory here is from someone who sectioned a block. The head bolt bores have about 5/8" more meat left untapped at the bottom. So you drill and tap the headbolt holes deeper. Then use the longer VW ARP head studs. The threads on the studs are way down deep in the hole and not up near the deck which supposedly reduces deck distortion.

All in the name of pursuing more glorious boost. I'm hoping that this first iteration will be capable of 25-30 psi on the HX35. After that, a serious investment in turbo and head/block o-rings will have to take place. It's getting more expensive even before I build the first one.
Jeez, for what I've spent on the head and valve train, I could have had a 600 hp 4.8 LS. :bang:

But as @CarMichael Angelo says, those are like bellybuttons. Now, I'm not going to cut a block apart to put some other engine's head on it, but I want to be different. I've already thought if I keep it remotely street legal, the custom plate. NO50 or NO5OH.

My brother and I used to joke that guys running SBC didn't even have to try because you could go to Kroger or Wal-Mart and buy parts. The decklid of my Regal had a sticker that said Not All Big Blocks Wear Bow Ties. That was one of the coolest thing we we ran the Regal. People would do a double take after looking under the hood expecting the obligatory SBC or BBC. Since a 455 Buick has a front distributor and we had cast aluminum valve covers that say BUICK, they would say, damn, how much to get those custom valve covers made for a BBF, or BBM (or anything else they could think of with a front mount distributor.

So I like to poke and prod @CarMichael Angelo all the time, but I understand the whole NO BELLY BUTTON engine thing. It's hard AF making :poo: for combos that didn't exist in the wild. Mike gets hell for all of the do overs, but you have to do it once to screw it up.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Do people still use the Volvo head on the lima 2.3L ?

Yeah, you can still get forged pistons for the Folvo head. It's not too hard, but I forget what you have to do at the back of the head for oiling. What I've read is that cams are almost non existent. I've seen writeups that say the stock Volvo intake flows about 240 cfm around .500. With some work it can flow 280ish. My stage 3 D port from BoPort is supposed to flow 220-230 @ .500. It's probably easier to find an Esslinger ARCA or D-Port head. They flow a ton and bolt on. They are discontinued but I think becoming easier to find as Midget racers end of life the Lima platform and move on the Duratec and GM midget programs.

If I had a money tree, I'd also look for an Esslinger tall deck block.

Reactions: 1 user
I had all of the stuff you’re talking about,....the Volvo B 234 head, Fully intended to modify the rear of the head/ block to deal with the overhanging whatever the fck it needed to work,...the modified front facing TB elbow..and a 2.3 turbo block .

I ended up putting it all on the curb in front of my house for the scrap dudes that used to comb the neighborhood looking for recyclable metal..

Hopefully you’ll make your “ for the sake of doing something different” tiny assed engine work...You are boldly going where no Mike has gone before.

I remember the first time I saw that, I was like, so what's really in it. No Pinto motor is doing that. I used to be anti-hair dryer, but I can't wait to give that little lump of iron (that I can pick up and put on the bench by myself no less) ALL the friggin boost.

I had all of the stuff you’re talking about,....the Volvo B 234 head, Fully intended to modify the rear of the head/ block to deal with the overhanging whatever the fck it needed to work,...the modified front facing TB elbow..and a 2.3 turbo block .

I ended up putting it all on the curb in front of my house for the scrap dudes that used to comb the neighborhood looking for recyclable metal..

Hopefully you’ll make your “ for the sake of doing something different” tiny assed engine work...You are boldly going where no Mike has gone before.

If had been in this 2.3 phase back then, I would have driven down to Birmingham, hit a cold drink or two with you and picked all the :poo: up!!

Since all this :poo: I have except the header and turbo are built to go together and a Fox body is built to have a 2.3 in it....this should be easy! Nothing I do is ever easy for some reason.

But I even have the Canfield Industries 2.3 to 5.0 bellhousing adapter. So theoretically, I put the 302, and put the 2.3 in, bolting up the same clutch and pressure plate.

Nobody loves my 85. SO I guess I will. Time to move on. I guess when I feel like suffering heat stroke, I'll film the 302 running and pull it out to sell it.

I'm also looking for a TKO, 3550, or even a T56. I'll have a stout 302 and a brand new (less than 1,000 mile) T5Z to offer in some kind of trade for goods. (plus cash if neeed)

Before I go down the rabbit hole of typing into Google and wasting several hours of finding a ton of WRONG information, does anyone have the skinny on swapping in a manual steering rack? Are there any cheap parts stores options available? Why does everyone want to spend$$$$ on the Flaming River rack?

Also, anyone happen to have a 8 or 10 pt cage laying around for sale near Memphis? They aren't expensive, but the freight is almost as much as the cage!

I've got to talk to a friend my older brother went to HS with. He's an only child...never left home, probably never been on a date. But he's a car hoarder. 68 GT500, 69 Fastback roller, 70 Chevelle 350 SS, 71 Mach 1 429SCJ, 68 F100 with a 428, 81 Turbo T/A with a 455 Buick and a rock crusher, and he just moved from the childhood home which is now in the hood. My bro and I helped and I happened to notice he has a room in the house with a ton of :poo:, including fiberglass doors, fenders, and 87-93 dash just laying around. I don't even know why. I don't think he's ever had a Fox Body. Gotta figure out if they are just part of the permanent collection or he will get rid of the fenders. I want to drive it a little, so I think I don't want 'glass doors.

Does anyone know the weight diff between manual doors and power doors? Not sure if it's worth the swap. Power winders would be handy since there will be no A/C and it's hotter than the surface of the sun this week.

Last edited:
Before I go down the rabbit hole of typing into Google and wasting several hours of finding a ton of WRONG information, does anyone have the skinny on swapping in a manual steering rack? Are there any cheap parts stores options available? Why does everyone want to spend$$$$ on the Flaming River rack?

Also, anyone happen to have a 8 or 10 pt cage laying around for sale near Memphis? They aren't expensive, but the freight is almost as much as the cage!

I've got to talk to a friend my older brother went to HS with. He's an only child...never left home, probably never been on a date. But he's a car hoarder. 68 GT500, 69 Fastback roller, 70 Chevelle 350 SS, 71 Mach 1 429SCJ, 68 F100 with a 428, 81 Turbo T/A with a 455 Buick and a rock crusher, and he just moved from the childhood home which is now in the hood. My bro and I helped and I happened to notice he has a room in the house with a ton of :poo:, including fiberglass doors, fenders, and 87-93 dash just laying around. I don't even know why. I don't think he's ever had a Fox Body. Gotta figure out if they are just part of the permanent collection or he will get rid of the fenders. I want to drive it a little, so I think I don't want 'glass doors.

Does anyone know the weight diff between manual doors and power doors? Not sure if it's worth the swap. Power winders would be handy since there will be no A/C and it's hotter than the surface of the sun this week.
Just get the Jeg's house brand rack. Cheap as hell, but it works. Just replace their garbage bellows with something that doesn't disintegrate.

Reactions: 1 user
Where? When? 20 years ago? Jegs and Summit they are about $300 and the kit with tie rods is about $400. Time to peruse FB Market.
Jegs has gotten expensive. The II manual rack was all of $80 when I bought it ten years ago, it's nearly twice that now!
You can use a II manual rack with offset bushings, by the way. It'll save you at least $100.

Jegs has gotten expensive. The II manual rack was all of $80 when I bought it ten years ago, it's nearly twice that now!
You can use a II manual rack with offset bushings, by the way. It'll save you at least $100.

There's a manual rack on Ebay for about $160, but would still need shaft and out tie rod ends. Not sure what kind of quality that is for $160. I also saw a Flaming River bare rack for $210. But knowing what I know about manufacturing and importing....it could be the exact same rack in different packaging.

Just 1 Dollar? I can handle that. Matter of fact, I probably wasted $2 today! There's a couple on evilbay for $150ish. I'll also check the local FB Marketplace. I know there's a listing for a manual brake setup...I think he had a manual rack setup but sold it, it looks like.