Timing a stock GT

• Sponsors (?)

Ok - timing light it is - I did learn how to gauge a 2 degree rotation thanks to you guys !
Hate to say it and sound like an ass but no you didn’t . I literally just timed my engine the other day. A nudge was a 2-6 degree swing . You just don’t know without the light

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
When I said I learned how to gauge how much to turn , I was referring that I learned how sensitive the amount of turn should be - before I asked I was thinking 1/2 “ turn , now I realize 1/2” would be closer to 15-20 degrees . And I also learned use the light just to be sure and know exact , not a guess .

Reactions: 1 user
I mark everything else as well. Tip for the future, use Wite-Out. I mark everything with that :poo:. Comes with a fine brush in the bottle, highly visible, and dries quickly.

Kurt
That's what I use, Wite-Out. Doesn't make a super fine line, but it's wide enough so you can see it. It doesn't wash off, will last many years.

@revhead347 You're right, Kurt. My math was off by a factor of 2. The dizzy spins off of the cam... That's what I get for doing public math when the real takeaway is "don't try it, get a light." Thanks for the catch.

I just did mine today. Went from 12 to 14 barely, and I mean barely touched it I use the Milwaukee junkyard yellow pen. Home depot has them . This Harbor Freight light is good for @20 bucks

Attachments

• KIMG0151.JPG
    KIMG0151.JPG
    293.8 KB · Views: 78
  • KIMG0152.JPG
    KIMG0152.JPG
    367.5 KB · Views: 79
  • KIMG0150.JPG
    KIMG0150.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 86
I got around to changing the fuel filter. Car seems to idle much more smoothly , the irregular light choppy feel is gone . Gas in old filter was dirty with a high amount of visual black specks ( like a fine ground pepper ) . Maybe the old filter was restricting flow and causing the chop and furthermore causing AF mix to run lean ( would that cause engine temps to run hotter ? ) also , what are the options to clean out tank ? Does it have any drain Valve ? Btw , car has been running 180-200 degrees over the winter and in this early spring outdoor temps of 65 degrees in Wash DC area .

How much work involved taking tank out ? Unknown age of pump ( will change that though since tank is down ) do we just replace tanks or is there a method to clean them out once down ? Btw does the A/F mix theory on engine heat sound possible ?

How much work involved taking tank out ? Unknown age of pump ( will change that though since tank is down ) do we just replace tanks or is there a method to clean them out once down ? Btw does the A/F mix theory on engine heat sound possible ?
on the afr, I would think it would have to be really lean to cause overheating issues.
180-200 temp is normal even in cool enviroments. It will depend on what temp stat you have and when the readings change, like temp rise when sitting in traffic and drop when driving along. Small temp changes are normal.
Stock cooling system?

Check for the plastic wind deflector attached to the bottom of the core support....and for the black paper like extensions that go from the sides of the radiator towards the bumper. If those things aren't there the air will go around the radiator and not through it at highway speeds.