TIMING ADVANCE

• Sponsors (?)

In general: if you leave the SPOUT connector in (because you're just bumping the timing a hair and not using a timing light), if the idle increases, you have likely advanced the timing. If the idle decreases, you have likely retarded the timing.

no we had a timing light and we removed the chip.we set it at 15 deges advanced but at wide open throttle it is pining bad so should i drop it down to 12 or 13 .??? we tured it clock ways .95 5.0 L 5spd that is advanced right

A "friend" of mine goes to Advance Auto when he needs a cheap timing light, very carefully takes it out of the box being sure to save all the packing materials. He then uses it and replaces it inside said box, makes it look authentic and then returns it to Advance Auto for a refund. No harm, no foul.

A "friend" of mine goes to Advance Auto when he needs a cheap timing light, very carefully takes it out of the box being sure to save all the packing materials. He then uses it and replaces it inside said box, makes it look authentic and then returns it to Advance Auto for a refund. No harm, no foul.

That could work :Word:

however

If you used that method for the tools needed
to do a project like a h/c/i upgrade

You would make 132 trips to your local parts house
and
It would take you 1.27 years to complete the task

Grady

True but at the same time, if you dont have a majority of those tools, you probbaly shouldnt be tackling an HCI. At least I wouldnt. I have thousands of dollars worth of tools (I mean my friend.....) I just have no need for a timing light since I got into the business in 03 and nothing has a distributor anymore. And the few times I have needed one, my "friend" took care of it.

Howie, if you already have a timing light, why did you ask in the first place? One, or at the most two wrist-twists would have told ya what you needed to know. :)

You were just testing us, weren't ya. :p

just thought i would ask first just to be safe i said i had a timing light at the top of the tread .any ways i put it to 15 and it pinged so i turned it down slightly no more ping but i am running premium fuel.thanks guys

just thought i would ask first just to be safe i said i had a timing light at the top of the tread .any ways i put it to 15 and it pinged so i turned it down slightly no more ping but i am running premium fuel.thanks guys

15 degrees is pretty damn high. You'll reach the point of diminishing returns at some point. With stock heads I wouldn't put it much past 13.

Oddly enough though I find this is car dependent. I ran mine, before the TwEECer, at 13 degrees on 87 octane and didn't ping at all. Some guys ping while stock.:shrug:

Adam

Guys I have a question
My timing gun is pretty old...my dad had it for his 88 vette.
My question is...it doesn't have a dial on it
I just hook it up and turn the dizzy till it flashes on my number
What is the dial for?