Timing advanced...not sure why

vferrizz

Oct 23, 2020
Fleetwood, PA
First let ma apologize in advance if I do not use the correct technical lingo since this is the first car I have tinkered on that did not have a carb.

My ‘92 LX 5.0 motor is bone stock , except for BBK CAI, w/ 32k miles. Started hearing popping in exhaust so I decided to check the timing. Timing was as at 30 deg, which seemed like that was the problem. I removed the little grey plastic gizmo and set the timing at 14 deg. I plugged the plastic gizmo in, tightened down the distributor and checked the timing and it was at 20 deg.
I assume I am making a rookie mistake somewhere? Why did the timing not stay where I set it?

• Sponsors(?)

StangNet created a new car social app called knowmoto! Add your Mustang or post a photo in the knowmoto app and enter for a chance at a $100 gift card from LMR. Click the LMR Logo for more about the knowmoto Mega Thread!

7991LXnSHO

10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
Pulling the plastic gizmo, the spout plug, allows a mechanical, baseline setting of the timing. Plugging it in allows the computer to vary it as needed. It sounds about right to me,

Reactions: 1 user