Timing chain... can I just replace the chain?

92Patrol5.0

Founding Member
Sep 20, 1999
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Well, after a bad turn of events while changing oil pan gasket--bolt broke, attempt to drill and tap it out resulted in a small hole in the timing cover.. SO, I had to take the timing cover off to take it and hopefully have it fixed. So I figured I might as well change the timing components. However, is it ok to just get a new chain and use the existing sprockets? Or do I need to get new sprockets as well? I'm kinda on a budget so that's why I am asking about just replacing the chain instead of getting a complete set. Or is there a cheap set somewhere that's decent? I'm already going to spend money on having the cover welded up and my flywheel resurfaced, and the tools and crap I have had to buy for doing this nightmare of a project it's turned out to be. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

I figured I should do both but wasn't sure. Everyone talks about getting a double roller set, and right now I just don't have the budget to get a better set. I'm not pushing any high HP or anything, just stock except exhaust. I figure a factory replacement will suit me just fine for a few more miles.

Haha.. then I should be safe with a standard set. Hey, what is the seal called thats in the timing cover that the crankshaft goes through? Is is the front main seal or crankshaft seal? This should be available at local parts store correct? I figured I should replace that while it's off too, but couldn't find it on any of the parts stores online.

Antifreeze in oil pan... how to remove it?

I'm changing the oil pan gasket and timing components. When I removed the timing cover, antifreeze got into the front of the oil pan, and a little dirt and stuff... What should I do to get it out of there? I have leaned the pan forward and got most of the antifreeze out, but there's still some there but it's not high enough to get out of the drain plug hole. How should I get the rest out? Should I pour some oil in the front of the pan so that it will help move the other stuff out? Soak it up with rags? Any ideas?

Drain the oil out. It's just your best insurance. What in your oil, washed out main bearings. It's bad. ANd that seal is the front main seal, and should come in the timing chain replacement gasket set, i think.

Timing Cover replacement gasket set you mean? Not timing chain replacement gasket? I will pour some cheap oil in there to get everything washed out that I can, then wipe the pan out with some rags to get it clean, then fill up with cheap oil and run it a bit, then drain it again, and fill it up with good oil.