Timing Chain Cover Gasket

• Sponsors (?)

Throw the paper gaskets out and replace with a good RTV.

Believe it or not, the best two I've used are the Victor-Reinz stuff for German applications, and the Mopar RTV for transmission pans (which works on EVERYTHING). Permatex ultra black works well too.

Reactions: 1 user
Never had luck with RTV, but that's just me. Never had a problem with a paper gasket leaking anti-freeze. I'd check the surface on the timing cover, and the block.

Kurt

Never had luck with RTV, but that's just me.

Use it daily. There's a reason virtually all modern engines have replaced most gaskets with it.

Never had a problem with a paper gasket leaking anti-freeze.

What a coincidence, started my 'stang for the first time in two months today... and it started leaking coolant from the paper gasket between the water pump and the plate that goes between it and the timing cover.

I'd check the surface on the timing cover, and the block.

Good advice no matter which sealing method you're using.

Me too karthief, just RTV isn't a good idea in my experience when it's a metal-to-metal surface that's torqued more than valve-cover-tight. It all gets squeezed out, and can put parts out of alignment as the gasket-thickness is engineered into the system. Keep the paper, add some black RTV or better yet Right Stuff which seals even the most stubborn leaks.

I know that most people just squirt RTV at the front and back of the valley between the engine block and the lower intake. Everytime I have tried this, it leaked like crazy. I always use the formed rubber seals now. I actually buy a 1262 Felpro gasket kit for the proper port size, and an extra factory gasket kit just for those two rubber seals.

Kurt

I've done the front and back walls both ways, I feel the new style blue rubber gasket (or whatever it is) is tons better than that cork crap from the old days.

Exactly. The 1262s come with the cork, which is worthless. I get the extra gasket set just for the formed rubber molds. By the way, I am a hoarder, so if anyone needs factory intake gaskets minus the valley seals, I have at least 20 hanging on my peg board.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 users
Exactly. The 1262s come with the cork, which is worthless. I get the extra gasket set just for the formed rubber molds. By the way, I am a hoarder, so if anyone needs factory intake gaskets minus the valley seals, I have at least 20 hanging on my peg board.

Kurt
I don't know how big your port size is, but Fel-Pro MS95952 is bigger than the stock gaskets (port size Width 1.28" x Height 1.98") and has the rubber end seals (but not quite as big as the 1262s you're currently using). It's the set for the Explorer, I use them on my ported D5AE heads.

I don't know how big your port size is, but Fel-Pro MS95952 is bigger than the stock gaskets (port size Width 1.28" x Height 1.98") and has the rubber end seals (but not quite as big as the 1262s you're currently using). It's the set for the Explorer, I use them on my ported D5AE heads.

I actually have to trim the top and bottom of the 1262 gaskets a little to match the port size. My heads were ported out quite a bit on the top and bottom.

KUrt