Engine Timing chain cover (Mech fuel pump but no cover?)

fox racer v2

Jun 2, 2019
Brooklyn
Fried my starter (starter relay sticking burned it up) and replaced the cable/relay/starter while upgrading to a PA Performance unit. In doing so, I noticed my timing chain cover has a provision for a mechanical fuel pump - but the provision has no cover plate.

After a brief freak-out, I stuck my finger in the hole and noticed it was blocked off as if it were cast without a hole. It's also bone dry, I assume if there was a large hole in the cover I'd have a little oil leaking and have a some idle/drive-ability issues.

Has anyone seen this? I admittedly didn't investigate much as I was wrapping up the wrenching for the day, but can get pictures next weekend when I'm back working on it. Just curious what exactly I have. If it's some cheap aftermarket cover I'll grab an OEM one and swap them out when I have the front of the motor apart.

• Sponsors(?)

Mustang5L5

This is a big reason why I pulled it out
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
That’s interesting. Curious the part number on that one.

I have two EFI covers here. An E5 cover and an F1 cover and neither are like that

JMGlasgow

Advanced Member
Feb 19, 2017
I can get a part number tomorrow. Mine looks the same. As far as I can tell it came off of a 1988 engine.

Wayne Waldrep

Before I post a pic, do you have one of yours?
15 Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
Cuba, AL
I've never seen one like that on a Fox either. Went out and looked at my stack of them....zero.

fox racer v2

Jun 2, 2019
Brooklyn
My car was built in January '89, so close enough to the production runs from '88. As far as I know, this is the original motor as well.

My '91 had the same one Mustang5L5 posted

Wayne Waldrep

Before I post a pic, do you have one of yours?
15 Year Member
Apr 14, 2003
Cuba, AL
My '88 bought new by me has the normal one....not the fake mechanical one. One of my extra engines has never been apart. It's a '90 model. Same cover as my '88. The rest of the stack all are the same. Doesn't matter really. I'd just figure after the hundreds if these cars I've worked on I'd at least have seen one.

fox racer v2

Jun 2, 2019
Brooklyn
The pictures posted by JMGlasgow even looks like it had the battery ground in the same spot (left bolt in picture, bolt the is closes to radiator when in car). This is judging by the teeth marks from the external tooth washer that was also on mine (order of timing cover -> external tooth lock washer -> starter cable bracket -> stock negative terminal ground -> bolt).